• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you build a Death Knight?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
If an opportunity arises I wanted to approach my DM with this character sketch: a LE Death Knight (preferrably undead). I've seen them, everyone knows the classic Dragonlance iconic death knight :) and now I'd like to play one. So how to go about it?

Well just to share, I want to base this dark fellow off of the cursed knight in the Eve Forward novel "Villains by Necessity" (dunno if anyone has ever red this besides me, never met anyone at least, I loved it though) with alterations: Doesn't speak, chivalric, evil but honorable (a "good" bad guy) sealed and cursed inside his black armor, a warhorse mount (in this case his elven love cursed and transformed), and scattered memories (part of the curse) that he is trying collect; tiny magical globes of crystal hidden and scattered through the lands.

What I've got so far: I took a gander at the Crypt Spawn template in the Magic of Faerun and it looks like a good way to go in making my death knight undead, simple too. Any suggestions on ECL for this template? ECL +1, ECL +2? Any other ways (besides vampiric) to go undead?

Next, Classes. (we're looking at about 11-12th lvl btw) I contemplated the classic Paladin/Blackguard combo, you know, trade in those 10 levels of paladin and go blackguard all the way. The blackguard mount is a good way to fill the part of his cursed love. But I'm not sure about this just yet, I prefer more of a straight up fighting type.

On the other hand I could go pal/ftr/Knight Protector of the Realms as the "Code" suits the character very well.

There is also the possibiliy of just all levels in Fighter and just roleplay the part. Would it be possible to take the Leadership feat and his cursed mount as a cohort? If so, I may just simply go this route.

Hmmm, many considerations. Any suggestions? I'm certain I want him silent and "sealed" inside his black armor and undead. A cursed knight and mount, quite likely wielding a greatsword.

What's a Death Knight to do? :p

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Depends. Are you more interested in the role-play or building an engine of destruction? If its the former, I'd just make him a paladin and trade in the levels. If it is the latter, I'd make a fighter with possibly a level of rogue or ranger beacuse the blackguard needs 5 ranks in hide.

You may want to make a new feat for the guy:

Courtly Upbringing
You are no stranger to fudal chivalry and have long graced the halls of nobles with your presence. You are educated and appriciate the finer things in life.
Benefit: Knowedge (nobility) and Appraisal are always treated as class skills.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hey I checked out the Death Knight template, pretty sweet, and you're right shirt guy john the ECL for that is +5. A bit steep (preferring more class levels) for my taste. While this is a neat template I was thinking something a wee bit more subtle too :p, hmmm, something about attracting legions of undead and the aura of constant fear... lol.

Thanks for the suggestion BiggusGeekus though I'd imagine this guy'll just spend the cross-skill points in these skills.

The cavalier PrC was an interesting one too as it fits with the classical "knight" theme.

Shirt Guy John

First Post
Well, if you actually want an undead death knight, you might want to look at the Book of Vile Darknes, speicfically the Bone and Corpse templates. I don't think they have ECLs listed, but they can't be too high (well, bone might be, at least until skeleton damage reduction is fixed in 3.5).

moritheil

First Post
Shirt Guy John said:
Well, if you actually want an undead death knight, you might want to look at the Book of Vile Darknes, speicfically the Bone and Corpse templates. I don't think they have ECLs listed, but they can't be too high (well, bone might be, at least until skeleton damage reduction is fixed in 3.5).

The MM2 death knight is actually undead.

Quick question for those of you who have Dragonlance books: is there a modified template that explains where Soth-level death knights get their power words from? Or should those just be placed under the stipulation that DMs can add spell-like abilities as needed for a badass monster?

darthkilmor

First Post
moritheil said:
The MM2 death knight is actually undead.

Quick question for those of you who have Dragonlance books: is there a modified template that explains where Soth-level death knights get their power words from? Or should those just be placed under the stipulation that DMs can add spell-like abilities as needed for a badass monster?

dragonlance campaign setting has a modified death knight template.

Remove ads