• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How would you create a 4E Factotum?

Trench

First Post
Just what the title says. I have a player whose absolute favorite PC is a factotum- a crafting savant with machinery and obsessive physical paragon who has studied magic after a bad run in with sorcerer mercenaries. Switching over to 4E will hinge a lot on perhaps translating him. Granted, we won't be switching over for at least another year, so we'll have any sourcebooks in between those times to help, but I'd love to hear some feedback on suggestions.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Trench said:
Just what the title says. I have a player whose absolute favorite PC is a factotum- a crafting savant with machinery and obsessive physical paragon who has studied magic after a bad run in with sorcerer mercenaries. Switching over to 4E will hinge a lot on perhaps translating him. Granted, we won't be switching over for at least another year, so we'll have any sourcebooks in between those times to help, but I'd love to hear some feedback on suggestions.

It would probably be a rogue with some multi-class wizard powers, the ritual caster feat and the "eternal seeker" epic destiny. Hopefully the martial power book will add some options for an intelligent rogue.

frankthedm

First Post
Trench said:
Uhm, Given that 4e is about defining and solidifying character roles, the factotum seems much the opposite direction Wotc went, though ppaladin123's idea is reasonable.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The factotum was my favorite class too.

The idea I am working on to replicate it right now is tactical warlord/wizard with jack of all trades or a bunch of skill training feats, but I am a bit stuck as to what to do at paragon tier.

Hopefully when the Swordmage and other classes come out there will be something to work with there.

Stogoe

First Post
I'd say Jack of All Trades is a must-have feat. But yeah, Rogue/arcane multiclass seems the best choice for what you described.

Shroomy

Adventurer
The artificer class is apparently coming out next month in Dragon, so depending on the direction they went with it, it may be your best bet. I definitely think that multi-classing is the way to go, as is the Jack-of-all-Trades feat.

Particle_Man

Explorer
a) Take half-elf for that dilettante power from a second class.

b) Take *all* the multi-class feats for powers from a third class - continue to go that path, eschewing a paragon path and instead taking more powers from class #3.

c) Take the Epic Seeker Epic Destiny to get powers from the fourth through eighth classes (hey now you have powers from all 8 classes!).

d) Start with Jack of All Trades but work towards getting Skill Training in every single skill.

e) Get the Ritual Caster feat.

Best of luck!

Klaus

First Post
Particle_Man said:
a) Take half-elf for that dilettante power from a second class.

b) Take *all* the multi-class feats for powers from a third class - continue to go that path, eschewing a paragon path and instead taking more powers from class #3.

c) Take the Epic Seeker Epic Destiny to get powers from the fourth through eighth classes (hey now you have powers from all 8 classes!).

d) Start with Jack of All Trades but work towards getting Skill Training in every single skill.

e) Get the Ritual Caster feat.

Best of luck!
This.

Rogue Half-Elf (Cleric Diletante) with multiclass Wizard seems the way to go.

mearls

Hero
Here's something a little crazy. It breaks the concept of roles, but it should work fine in an experienced group.

Use the rogue as your starting point for class features, but replace sneak attack with hunter's quarry.

Give him proficiency with all military weapons.

Give him Ritual Caster as a bonus feat, but no rituals to start with.

Now, with powers things get interesting. When he takes powers, allow him to choose from any class, with one caveat: he can only take a second power from a given source if he needs to add another power and he has no more power sources to choose from. Even in that case, the power must come from a different class than the earlier one from that source.

For at-wills, he must take one with the implement keyword and another with the weapon keyword.

This gives you a character who is sort of a striker, but who dabbles in everything.

The interesting thing is that, since the classes are balanced across the board, he isn't strictly better than the other PCs. There are some pitfalls - the restrictions on classes and power sources is there to stop him from just taking all wizard powers, while having better HP and AC than a wizard.

Remove ads