• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you feel about giving Finger of Death the ability to create different undead if upcasted?

KombatKingo

First Post
I'd also like to point out that if the minions get their own minions, they'll be robbing us of the valuable corpses for Finger of Death. As in, it'll likely not be recommended to have them use those abilities, because the necromancer could just do it himself, and get a more powerful undead in the process.

MarkB

Legend
I'd also like to point out that if the minions get their own minions, they'll be robbing us of the valuable corpses for Finger of Death. As in, it'll likely not be recommended to have them use those abilities, because the necromancer could just do it himself, and get a more powerful undead in the process.

Except that the undead will often have unlimited uses of their minion-creating abilities, while the caster only has so many upcast spell slots available on any one day. So it's only an issue if you have fewer potential targets than you have spell slots.

KombatKingo

First Post
That's a fair point. I guess that if a necromancer isn't in a rush to get his army up then he might just use his upcast slots every day, but if he needs an army now he'll let his minions get to work. Depends more on the situation.

Remove ads