• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you handle a Paladin?

TremorFang

First Post
I am going to be playing a disguise focused / heavy rogue at lv. 3, Chaotic Evil. My DM posed the possibility that if we came across a paladin that met me whilst in a disguise that odds are they would see my alignment and of course either try to kill or "rat" on me.

My problem then is, since I am at such a low level, I don't have the money or means of hiding my alignment from anyone. Besides attempting to avoid Paladins, how would you handle this situation. Is there some sort of really cheap item that I am missing that will cover this?

The rest of the party is a Sorcerer and a guy that I have no clue as to what he is playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I am going to be playing a disguise focused / heavy rogue at lv. 3, Chaotic Evil. My DM posed the possibility that if we came across a paladin that met me whilst in a disguise that odds are they would see my alignment and of course either try to kill or "rat" on me.

My problem then is, since I am at such a low level, I don't have the money or means of hiding my alignment from anyone. Besides attempting to avoid Paladins, how would you handle this situation. Is there some sort of really cheap item that I am missing that will cover this?

The rest of the party is a Sorcerer and a guy that I have no clue as to what he is playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You GM needs to look at the rules for the spell detect evil. You are not a cleric or an anti-paladin with an active link to your god (you can't channel); therefore, you don't PING evil at level 3 as you are too weak for your pathetic aura to even register on the Detect Evil scale. You aren't even a FAINT evil. Clerics and paladins (and anti-paladins) below level 5 PING evil (or good) not because of their own aura, but because of their link to an outside deity which causes them to be detectable.

On your own, you aura is so weak you won't PING evil until you hit level 5. By then, you should ensure you obtain a Ring of Mind Shielding for 8,000 GP to hide your aura.

Last edited:

TremorFang

First Post
Wow, looks like I got lucky. Thanks for the info. So, the would start to notice me by lv. 5 then? Or just after lv. 5?

I looked at the pathfinder rules (online) and it said 5 or lower, but then it says 5 or higher is feint.

Thanks again for the reply.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Your brains are a free magic item: "Sure, Mr. Paladin, I'm evil, but I'm trying to reform for a life of wickedness." *Puppy Dog Eyes*

Paladins, unless played by a DM out to kill you, no matter what, do not go around stabbing everyone who shows up on their stupid radar. You'll be observed, but by the time a rogue is level 5, he should know how to evade those keeping him under observation and sneak around.

Don't be evil around a paladin and come up with a good story as to why you should not only be spared by the paladin, but given some help in your quest.

Crothian

First Post
Another thing you can do. Find the Paladin first and don't engage him or get near him. Locate someone you think is evil and find a way for them to be in the same room as the Paladin so you can see how the Paladin reacts to evil characters. Hey, if you get lucky maybe you can evil get some evil organization to take out the Paladin so you don't have to deal with him.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Wow, looks like I got lucky. Thanks for the info. So, the would start to notice me by lv. 5 then? Or just after lv. 5?

I looked at the pathfinder rules (online) and it said 5 or lower, but then it says 5 or higher is feint.

The Pathfinder PRD entry for Detect Evil is quite specific at "Level 4 or lower" for an aligned creature (which is what you are as a CE rogue/assassin).

When you DING 5th level, you'll PING Faint evil -- and not until.

BuzzardB

First Post
Boy am I glad I stumbled upon this thread, I was not aware of the Detect Evil change in PF. Thank you guys you ust potentially saved my LE Sorcerer assassins life :D

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Plus, just because you are evil does not mean that the paladin has a "I can smite you" card. They have to have a legal, valid reason to actually do something about it. If you are exceedingly evil, then maybe a paladin would be hell-bent on your destruction, but that won't be for quite a few levels.

Of course, you could always serve as the distraction. Mr. Spit & Polish may be too busy paying attention to you to pay attention to what someone else is doing.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Another thing to bear in mind is that paladins, as a rule, don't run around with Detect Evil going all the time - there is just too much petty evil 'noise' to make it worthwhile.

Save it for special occasions, where keeping a third eye open is important.

Don't run around smiting every evil - anger and intolerance are themselves roads to evil. Smite when it is important, or when a drubbing can turn someone away from a darker path. (My favorite line from a 13 year old paladin player - 'sometimes you need to smite evil, and sometimes you just need to punch it in the face'.)

Someoe has raised a bunch of zombies that have attacked the town? Detect away. Someone stole Major Karon's wallet? If the paladin was right there at the time, maybe.

Now if he catches you in the act.... :angel: *Thumpita, thumpita, thumpita!* And let's be honest, you'll deserve it, you Chaotic Evil bugger, you.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads