• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you like to see a PDF version of Dragon/Dungeon

How would you like to see a PDF verson of Dragon/Dungeon

• If offered, I'd prefer a PDF only subscription

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I'd prefer a Print/PDF combination subscription, even at a nominal extra cost.

Votes: 30 20.7%
  • I'd prefer a Print/PDF combination subscription, but only at no additional cost.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I would prefer a print only subscription, but they should offer PDFs to those that want them.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • I prefer a print only subscription (provide your reason in a post)

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Other (provide your thoughts in a post).

Votes: 8 5.5%

X-Marks!

First Post
Can't see it.

I think the Paizo folks are just way too busy, as is, to be spending the time on this type of endeavor. (Look how long it can take them just to get the Dungeon hand-outs set up for the website.)

I'd much rather they spent their "spare" time on other work/products, like new Dragon Compendiums, or getting the rights to re-format and re-publish stuff like their Dark Sun revamp into an actual HC version, say heavily using freelance writers.

RisnDevil

First Post
Slight Thread Hi-Jack

X-Marks! said:
getting the rights to re-format and re-publish stuff like their Dark Sun revamp into an actual HC version, say heavily using freelance writers.

I think this is how all the "classic" settings should be republished, rather than WotC themselves doing it. The Paizo staff has some great talent, and can outsource REALLY well.

[/Hi-Jack]

I would love to be able to buy whole .pdfs of either magazine (though piecemeal would suit me the best). But I am pretty sure Man-thing is right. Tear.

Whisper72

Explorer
I like to read through the dead-tree edition, so that is my primary interest. Should the .pdf be available for free to subscribers, that would be cool. Should there be a .pdf subscription possibility for those who would like a .pdf-only sub (prolly at slightly reduced rates as there are no shipping costs involved, especially overseas), that's fine with me too, although personally I would not be interested in it.

For Dungeon, the sale of seperate loose adventures would be really cool for some tho.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I do not want any pdf at all. I don't like them, I don't buy them.
If some others want them, fine, that's ecological and all that, but I definitely want my print copy.

catsclaw227

First Post
Man-thing said:
I believe representation from Pazio has stated in the past that their publishing deal for Dungeon and Dragon only allows them to sell the PDFs once an issue is out of print.

Actually, now that I think of it, I do believe this is correct and it's a shame. Having this kind of restriction in a publishing contract seems quite shortsighted by WOTC, though as I said I am not familiar with the scratchy specifics of publishing/subscription/distribution.

My personal preference would be to have both, print and PDF available. Either individually or in combination. (mostly Dungeon as a PDF).

If James or Erik are lurking... is there a change in the forseeable future that will allow you to distribute print and PDF versions of new and past issues?

Mandos

Explorer
We're in a time when many DMs handle their games behind a laptop screen, so Dungeon adventures texts should be available for a small fee or a subscription.

It's so sad to learn that the publishing deal between Wizards and Paizo doesn't allow this, maybe it's time for the small boys to knock on the big guys' door and ask for a re-negociation on this topic.

I plan on mastering the next adventure path, Savage Tide, and ready to pay to get my hands on an electronic version, instead of "cutting pages-scanning-ocring" my paper version.

Dungeon, since one or two years, has gone a long way to publish top level quality adventures and this has shown a strong rebirth of customer's interest for it. Even Wizards is publishing adventures again. Paizo should not let their customers go somewhere else to feed their "high quality - digital ready adventures" needs.

wmasters

First Post
Being in the UK, I'd love to get Dungeon or Dragon in pdf. It's possible to get it over here, with either a lot of searching, or extortionate export fees, but a pdf would make it much more viable. I've got a subscription now anyhow (having found somewhere where it's not hugely overpriced), but a pdf would make it a lot more accessible internationally.

Mr Vergee

First Post
The problem with pdf versions is that it gets spread over the internet quickly through the illegal free channels. So by providing pdf's (too quickly) a company could be committing virtual suicide.

Imruphel

First Post
As a subscriber in Singapore (and previously a subscriber in Australia), the eight or so week delay in receiving my subscription copies makes me wish that a PDF version was available (that's a six week delay to discover that the magazine hasn't arrived plus the two weeks it takes to send the new copy... it's a subscription service in name only).

In addition I as have to transport my gaming materials between two different countries, I would much prefer the convenience of PDF (particularly as the last time I moved between SG and Oz I had over 300 kgs in D&D books and magazines).

As for pirate copies, I have no problem with my copies being watermarked as drivethrurpg.com does provided I can still delete pages etc... from the file (which drivethrurpg.com does not allow you to do).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads