• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would You Make a D&D Movie?

Any D&D film set in an existing, popular setting already has two strikes against it in the gaming community. Some will oppose it because they are not fans of that setting (or ar bigger fans of another setting and feel slighted that THEIRS is not the chosen one). Some will oppose it because the resulting film will not fit THEIR idea of the setting in look, choice of actors to play well-known roles, etc. Top that up with the possibility of failing to produce a good film whether the setting fans are otherwise with you or not. And one more thing to add - pleasing the gamers with the portrayal of a favored setting is irrelevant anyway because as a percentage of your movies audience as a whole they don't amount to dry squat.

I recommend:
Do NOT choose an existing game setting as your source.

I keep saying this but apparantly it's just not well understood - a successful film BEGINS with the writing. It matters not where the movie is set or who stars in it or directs it if the script isn't up to the task. bad actors, editors and directors can screw up a movie with a good script, but it's VASTLY less likely to have those same persons fix a movie with a BAD script. And gamers will enjoy winks and nods and jokes about gaming. NOBODY ELSE WILL. The hobby is too niche. Great numbers of people know D&D exists but they know NOTHING about what it's really like to play. A movie is NOT the place to teach them the game while you joke with them about it. Instead there is a pretty simple formula available for successful stories: introduce characters that people like. Put those characters in danger to push them to grow and develop. Resolve the danger, preferrably as at least a partial consequence of the characters growth/development. Simple drama, not inside-jokes and self-satire.

I recommend:
Take the movie seriously, let the movie take itself seriously and your chances for success increase exponentially.

A D&D movie should, however, feature at least some basic D&D tropes. However it starts it should quickly come to be about the exploits of a PARTY of "adventurers" and not, I repeat NOT, feature one individual adventurer in particular. If in no other way it this will be what seperates it from the usual crop of fantasy films. Drama and interest should draw from their interactions with each other and how as a team they deal with obstacles and other characters (or FAILing as a team to do so.)

Leave out the kitchen sink. Don't feel you have to show great swaths of setting to demonstrate D&D's breadth and scope. Keep the story tight and moving. Whatever else D&D may be it features combat and action. Acknowledge that character actions in the movie should be defineable under game rules, but do not allow game rules to force limitations upon you that prevent making a better FILM. Again, demonstrating the GAME in the movie will result in a stilted, unwatchable movie. Keep gamespeak out of it as much as possible (though a certain amount is actually desireable as regards magic.) Do not limit the movie to ANY given editions rules. Use them as a basis to work from, but do not constrain yourself with them unnecessarily and sacrifice the movie as a result. If game rules can be altered by the DM and participants for a better game they can damn well be sacrificed utterly for a better movie.

I recommend:
MOVIE first. Game, an unfathomably distant second.

Hire a director who's played the game (and more than once or twice), but who understands that previous recommendation and would never violate it. The producers need to have some experience with the game as well. Do not, however, make the mistake of thinking that you have any particular need to hire ACTORS who have played the game. It might be fun but it simply is not a consideration - AT ALL - in who portrays the characters on film, and how.

I recommend:
Hiring dedicated professionals first and foremost.

The rest should take care of itself.

Last edited:

soulkeeper

First Post
Personally, the first thing I'd do is refrain from putting the words D&D into the title. Tgis will simply make 90% of the world never even go see it. D&D is a game, and a brand, but any movie with a fantasy setting is like D&D. LOtR=D&D, Dragon Slayer = D&D, and all the rest. Hell, Harry Potter = D&D. All thee movies are the same style as the game we play. Come up with a cool title and sell it for what it is.

Second, dump the urge to try and make people see the game rules in the movie. Casting a fireball is casting a fireball, don't have your actor yell out, how they need a specific implement, some material components and a full round to do so, so that people in the audience know where they can find what's going on in the PHB. That just adds cheese that D&D doesn't need.

Third, never and I mean ever have the actors refer to each other with thier class titles. "Hey, Rogue, what you are going to do?" "I'm not sure Wizard, perhaps I'll stick you!" We all know a Wizard, a Rogue and a Paladin when we see them in action. Again, this adds cheese we don't need.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

1: Ask/beg/plead/bribe Gail Gygax to let you film the D&D screenplay Gary wrote that had Edgar Gross executive producing, John Boorman directing, and Orson Welles starring.*

2: PROFIT.

Trivia: Gary suggested to Welles that a D&D movie be made-for-TV; Welles felt that it deserved a big-screen treatment.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
(Get the guys from The Gamers to do it?)

Uggh. No way. The one thing I don't want to see is the self-effacing, self-deprecating attitude towards gaming expressed in an official, big-budget D&D movie.

Besides, while The Gamers was cute in its portrayal common gamer quirks, it was a pretty weak movie in every other respect.

Felon

First Post
Personally, the first thing I'd do is refrain from putting the words D&D into the title. Tgis will simply make 90% of the world never even go see it. D&D is a game, and a brand, but any movie with a fantasy setting is like D&D. LOtR=D&D, Dragon Slayer = D&D, and all the rest. Hell, Harry Potter = D&D. All thee movies are the same style as the game we play. Come up with a cool title and sell it for what it is.
This is pretty much the key element of selling the movie to the mainstream public. Dungeons & Dragons may have wide brand recognition, but not in a good way. They gotta find a way to sneak the D&D logo in there, maybe a s a subtitle.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Honestly, I wouldn't make a D&D movie. I'd make one out of the D&D novels or an draw from of one of the cooler modules (like tomb of horrors). Making a "D&D" movie is like showing people a house you built and then telling visitor's it's the "Craftsman House" because it was built with Craftsman(tm) tools.

Remove ads