D&D 5E How would YOU nerf the wizard? +

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The wizard's current d6 is still too low for level one and two.

All classes should get a bonus to HP at level 1. Determined by the setting's grittiness level.
Gameplay wise, the wizard's and fighter's HP are too close at higher levels considering their combat role options and specialties.

A wizard starting with 5 bonus HP but having a d4 HD gives them a better HP cushion for Tier 2 but keeps their HP within striking range past high tier 2 and beyond.

But again, is that because the Wizard's hit points are too high relative to the incoming damage, or that the fighter's are too low relative to that same incoming damage?

Around me, wizards still get smacked down when they make themselves obvious to the enemy. Fireballs suck, so intelligent enemies will focus fire on targets that can launch them when they can. So, wizard hit points don't seem to high, to me.

Again, why not raise fighter hit points to cover that balance issue?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would only alter the spells, not the wizard class itself. I would take all the overpowered spells and turn their power down to be more equal with the other spells.

Spells that come to mind:

• Animate Objects
  • Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings
  • Hypnotic Pattern
  • Polymorph
  • Shield
  • Simulacrum
  • Goodberry
  • Tiny Hut, Wall of Force

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
But again, is that because the Wizard's hit points are too high relative to the incoming damage, or that the fighter's are too low relative to that same incoming damage?

Around me, wizards still get smacked down when they make themselves obvious to the enemy. Fireballs suck, so intelligent enemies will focus fire on targets that can launch them when they can. So, wizard hit points don't seem to high, to me.

Neither and both

5e's level 1 HP is too low. For everyone.
At mid level's a wizard's HP is too high relative to the traditional expended resources of their party, their resources, and the incoming damage.
At mid level's a fighter's HP is too high relative to the traditional expended resources of their party, their resources, and the incoming damage.

Fighters need more HP across the board.
Wizards need more starting HP and less mid to high level HP.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Everyone can cast any spell if they have a spell book. It just takes a long time and their DC is terrible. A minute for a cantrip, up to a century for 9th level spells.

Wizards have the ability to cast spells faster pace, and get proficiency to their DC. Though their 9th level spells still take a day at max level.

Similarly to how a wizard can swing a great axe. Just not very well.
That's an interesting idea. Your own work?

Micah Sweet

I would only alter the spells, not the wizard class itself. I would take all the overpowered spells and turn their power down to be more equal with the other spells.

Spells that come to mind:

• Animate Objects
  • Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings
  • Hypnotic Pattern
  • Polymorph
  • Shield
  • Simulacrum
  • Goodberry
  • Tiny Hut, Wall of Force
Having magic itself be less cool is not the method I would choose.

Micah Sweet

No one in 5e needs more hit points.

Remove ads