D&D 5E How would YOU nerf the wizard? +

Quickleaf

Legend
Boy, where to start...

Well, first thing is most of these changes I'd apply to all spellcasters (if appropriate), not just Wizards:

1. Roll to learn spells. Getting automatic spells of your choice is a huge issue. You can pick one spell to try to learn, if you fail, choose another, etc. until you get one. All other spells must be acquired through research, scrolls, barter, etc.
2. Prune the spell lists. Remove sameyness and overlap. Be more focused with more spells or less focused but fewer spells.
3. Vancian casting. You need to decide what you want to cast and with which spell slots.
4. Increase casting times. Allow spells to be interrupted again.
5. Remove spellcasting foci. Make components matter.
6. Remove at-will cantrips. No more pew pew pew. Have cantrips RECHARGE! You might have them next round, you might not...
7. Increase DC for spell concentration from 10 to 15. Or better yet, DC based on spell level, like 8 + SL or something.
8. Fix OP/broken spells like Leomund's Tiny Hut.

Changes I would NOT make or would make to "un-nerf" some of the above:
A. Reducing HP to d4. Damage amounts in 5E are greater than AD&D, so keep the d6--it isn't that much more anyway.
B. Make certain spells rituals, such as mage armor. It sucks to always have to have it prepared and use a slot on it every day.
C. Get rid of repeated saves (in general). Saves should be a one-and-done thing. Now, you can have failed saves take more time to complete the effects, etc. to allow people a chance to stop them.
D. Alternative to C. If a spell is concentration and has a repeated save (e.g. hold person), deny the repeated save as long as concentration is maintained. If the caster drops concentration, THEN you can repeat saves to break the spell.

There is probably more if I think about it... But that's a good start. :)
Some really interesting ideas in your No. 3 – reintroducing Full Vancian casting (prepare spell in each slot) for Wizards specifically is a nice way to limit and to encourage distinct flavor – and in your No. D – break concentration and then get repeat saves. Good stuff!

ezo

I cast invisibility
Surviving more than one hit at first level would be preferable game play IMO.
Or don't put yourself in a position to get hit. ;)

and in your No. D – break concentration and then get repeat saves. Good stuff!
Thanks.

D is something we houseruled in both groups a couple years ago. It just makes sense IMO. By concentrating, you are stopping the repeated saves. You can also choose to drop concentration (allowing saves again) if you need to concentrate on a different spell.

Aside from a couple of specific spells that need a tweak, I think just reducing the number of spells per day horizontally (ie max out at 3 level 1's and 2 level 2's, etc) would make wizards pickier about what spells they use and limit nova-ing.

For a bigger change... well that might be a whole other thread about implementing interclass spell lists and switching away from leveled spells as a source of damage in general.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would only alter the spells, not the wizard class itself. I would take all the overpowered spells and turn their power down to be more equal with the other spells.

Spells that come to mind:

• Animate Objects
  • Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings
  • Hypnotic Pattern
  • Polymorph
  • Shield
  • Simulacrum
  • Goodberry
  • Tiny Hut, Wall of Force
I will second this method. Mostly because it's the only actual nerf I would consider for changing the class (and it's something that needs to be done before touching anything else anyway). All other changes would be a massive redesign and not necessarily a nerf.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Split combat magic and ritual magic. Give everyone, yes...everyone...access to rituals.

Combat magic is anything that causes damage, prevents damage, heals damage, or alters the battlefield.

Everything else is ritual magic.

Then crank up the costs and casting times of ritual magic.

Something like 1 hour/level and 1,000gp/level should be about right.

This does two things, nerfs casters (especially the wizard) and buff non-casters. Both are welcome and, I think, necessary changes.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
Remove Wish. Require prep of specific spells in specific spell slots. Make short rests overnight and long rests a week in a safe place. Require half of all spells know to be from their school, and no more than one each per level from each other school.

I would also ask if we are nerfing only the Wizard, or if we are willing to nerf all the other spell-casters too, as longer rests will hit them too.

Remove ads