How would you optimize??(edited for clarity)

MDragonG

Explorer
A Mountain Dwarf Path of the beast Barbarian/Monk

Starting stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Char 8
Background Outlander.

Want to see how cool people can make this class.

Lets not go with there are problems with PotB but lets see what we can do with this class and Monk.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The Beast Barbarians Natural Weapons are kind of a trap to be honest.

They have the least amount of synergies possible for a combat gimmick. Because they don't explicitly count as any other kind of weapon, a weapon you have in your hand, or even an Unarmed Strike. Once you get up to level 5, you are really going to notice the lack of anything like GWM to boost your damage.

You might get better results if you view the Natural Weapons as a "Secondary weapon" rather than primary weapons. But someone would have to do the math for mixing real weapons and claws during an attack action. Which would only work if your DM would allow you to pull off such shenanigans when your hands are replaced with claws, and even then I suspect it would only be really useful against high AC enemies.

On the other hand, you might be able to do something interesting with the Healing properties of the Bite attack.

MDragonG

Explorer
The Beast Barbarians Natural Weapons are kind of a trap to be honest.

They have the least amount of synergies possible for a combat gimmick. Because they don't explicitly count as any other kind of weapon, a weapon you have in your hand, or even an Unarmed Strike. Once you get up to level 5, you are really going to notice the lack of anything like GWM to boost your damage.

You might get better results if you view the Natural Weapons as a "Secondary weapon" rather than primary weapons. But someone would have to do the math for mixing real weapons and claws during an attack action. Which would only work if your DM would allow you to pull off such shenanigans when your hands are replaced with claws, and even then I suspect it would only be really useful against high AC enemies.

On the other hand, you might be able to do something interesting with the Healing properties of the Bite attack.
Oh I should have added, My DM is letting the attacks from the beast shape count as normal weapons. A on rage ability that does not work with rage is dumb.

Remove ads