• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you rate the d20 rules?

How would you rate the 3rd ED/d20 rules?

• Superb! Fantastic! I love the freedom and customization!

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • Its great!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • Nice, as the older systems

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Nah, dont like it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • WTF? What have they done to my favorite game? Its awful!

Votes: 1 0.9%

fimp

First Post
How would you rate the 3rd ED/d20 rules compared to earlier D&D and AD&D rules?

Please explain why you voted as you did.

kreynolds

First Post
I voted "superb" for one very simple reason. Compared to 2nd edition, d20 just rocks. :)

Player: "I want to close the distance and attack. How far away is the goblin?"
DM: "I don't know. Too far. It will take you 17 days to close the distance."
Player: "17...?! OK. Can I cast a spell?"
DM: "No. There's a flower in your line of sight."
Player: "What? A flower? OK. Fine. Can I shoot an arrow at him?"
DM: "Yes. But it will take you 5 years to ready your bow and arrow."
Player: "5 years!?! Fine! Can I call for help?"
DM: "Yes. But it will take you 2 rounds."
Player: "What!?! Two rounds to speak!?!"
DM: "Hey, wait. Don't leave the game. Hey...what are you doing with that baseball bat?"

Elaer

First Post
I put nice, because its not my favorite system, but its a good system. However, in comparison to second edition, it is like comparing a Corvette to a Model T

fimp

First Post
Elaer said:
I put nice, because its not my favorite system, but its a good system. However, in comparison to second edition, it is like comparing a Corvette to a Model T

With wich as the Corvette? ;)

Omegium

First Post
I voted great, because I have hardly played any other system (a bit of 2e, and baldurs gate, and some gurps) but comparing to what I know of 2e, it is a great improvement. The only problem I have is with mages and the enormous power of save or die spells. That prevented superb

Moulin Rogue

First Post
I voted for "great" for all the usual reasons of flexibility, customization, and intuitiveness (oh, and stats for monsters! :) ). The only things to make it fall short of superb in my mind are certain headaches with the "sacred cows" of class/level advancement and HP.

The best of the three editions so far definitely though (I'm familiar with 1e, not-so-familiar with 2e but I've read about all the main complaints). Maybe compared JUST among the three editions it would be superb but I guess I just wish they could have gone a bit further in places as I think some of the designers have alluded to. The 3e skill system is also a bit weird in spots but not knowing a lot about 2e I'm not sure how much of this is carryover. And one thing I do like from 2e was the ecology/habitat write-ups for monsters.

Last edited:

Nightchill

Explorer
I'll vote Superb soon as it works ;) Played the original briefly, then 2nd ed. for 7 or 8 years (makes me feel old). 3rd is a major improvement over both of em :)

bwgwl

First Post
i think 3e is head and shoulders above the previous incarnations of the game.

however, i didn't vote "superb," because when i want a system that is totally customizable and flexible, i'll play HERO... :p

that being said, i've been role-playing for at least 19 or 20 years now, i've played dozens and dozens of different systems, and nowadays d20 and HERO are the only ones i'm interested in ever playing or GMing. 3e also brought me back to D&D after having left 1e back in '86 or '87...

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I voted great. No system is superb. I think there are enough proofs of ambigidious rules that makes this system only great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads