• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you remake the D&D cartoon?

Agamon

Adventurer
Animated OotS would be good. :)

A funny Adult Swim show would be great!

But otherwise, I agree, it should be Avatar-like. Set in Eberron is a good idea (I also am not a big fan of the setting, but it'd make a great setting for an animated show

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
It's gotta have Lidda cuz she's hawt.

Plus she's already been in a D&D game (the one for X-Box) but that was more of a walkon role. She could be something of an Indiana Jones along with Gimble and picks up the other Iconics as backup looking for a McGuffin of the Week like say the Rod of Seven Parts like Jackie Chan did in Jackie Chan Adventures. Like maybe Aasimov the Iconic Warforged or Moreau the Iconic Shifter?

On the other side is the Iconic Villain, the blackguard pic (not the one with the funky helmet) taking Venger's old role with Athain (iconic hexblade) as his main henchman. Ooo, and see if Mark Hamill would do the main bad guy's voice since Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! might not get renewed (*sobs*). He was the Skeleton King (basically a robotic lich) in case you were wondering.

Anyways, at least the main four Iconics (Lidda, Jozan, Regdar and Mialee I believe) running amok in Eberron and -maybe- find a gateway to Sigil so the second (and later seasons) could be in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms or wherever (or vice versa). Heck, have a jaunt into Castle Ravenloft for a Halloween episode.

Mad Mac

First Post
Apparently I've come too late to this thread to add anything new. Rats.

For what it's worth though, pleeeeeease don't do the normal earth teenager stuck in another world thing. I hated that when I was a kid, and it hasn't gotten any more popular since then. Actually, I can't think of any cartoon in the last 10 years that uses this gimmik, so it's probably safely buried. I can only hope.

Setting wise, they're trying to sell D&D, so it quite simply has to be set in one of their existing settings. What's the point, otherwise? Eberron strikes me as being more accessible than the Realms, and has the benefit of having a great cinematic style established in the art already.

Alternately, you could use the iconics, but....they're just lame. And I don't want to scar an entire generation of youngsters by exposing them to Mialee and Hennet. If they want to start a spin-off series called "Everybody (who wears pants) loves Lidda" though, I'm all for it. ;)

Animation-wise, I'd go with a blend of traditional and anime. Something like Batman or Avatar that focuses on movement over detail, but without the more over the top face-faults and such than turn people off of anime. Or, you know, just animate some of the great comic style art already out there for Eberron and make it move and shoot lazer beams and stuff.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Who wouldn't want to see an animated Warforged... or a kooky Artificer... or a kooky Warforged Artificer? Huh? HUH?

The entire series could hang off Dragonmarks. Seriously.

I call Michael Ironside as the voice of the Warforged. Watch "Heavy Metal 2000" and listen to the main villain. Awesome stuff.

And for the record, if the boys from South Park can make a hit show with their "crappy animation", Order of the Stick should be cake.

I call Michael Ironside as the voice of Belkar. *LOL*

Kaodi

Hero
The Eberron Iconic Teams are as follows:

Thondred the 6th level dwarf artificer, Azm the 6th level warforged fighter, Sarav the 6th level elf ranger;
Corrash the 4th level halfling barbarian and his fastieth, Razoreye, Kuduth the 4th level half-elf cleric of the Sovereign Host, Halharan the 4th level kalashtar psion, Ural d'Orien the 4th level human sorcerer;
Vanira the 9th level gnome bard, Janar the 9th level half-orc druid and his wolf, Oru;
Kasha the 2nd level human monk, Thiera the 2nd level human paladin;
Tam the 4th level changeling rogue;
Baristi the 6th level shifter wizard.

There is also mention of an unnamed shifter rogue in Thondred's entry, but I think it refers to Baristi since she is noted as occassionaly joining adventuring groups for a period of time.

Anyway, Corrash, Kuduth, Halharan and Ural d'Orien seem like they could be an interesting group, with Tam perhaps functioning as an ally that prefers to operate by herself. You have your exotic warrior, a holy warrior who is also a healer (the medical-nin in Naruto fill both functions, without the religiosity though), the spooky mind-bender and the flashy blaster, along with the shapeshifting infiltrator. In fact, it could be a running gag that Tam appears in every episode, but you have to try hard to spot her because she doesn't announce her role in each one, often just appearing in the background instead of taking part.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Herobizkit said:
Who wouldn't want to see an animated Warforged... or a kooky Artificer... or a kooky Warforged Artificer? Huh? HUH?
Me. If they do a D&D cartoon it had better be D&D: namely vanilla psudo-medevil. Otherwise I won't be watching. Just like I didn't watch the original with those irritating kids.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If it weren't "generic" D&D, it would probably encounter problems finding its audience.

However, if it were successful, there's nothing to say there couldn't be Eberron, DarkSun, Spelljammer (or whatever) spinoffs- it worked for Law & Order and CSI, after all.

senna

First Post
I think a DnD cartoon can be made in two ways, depending on the target market:

Teens: A cartoon for teens would be for geting new people interesting in the game and making merchandising for the DnD brand, so it have to be broadcasted in a major chanel, daytime cartoon network. In this light i think that the most successful proposal is Eberron, it has the possibility for real word conections that don´t seem cheap (it has conections to the way we live real life, but not so much to real countries or cultures), has some realy cool factors (dragonmarks, psionics, warforged, etc), is a seting where the pc´s are assumed to be the heroes, it has the pulpy feel and a realy good background (the last war) for those that think it have to be some moral institution. Plus we cold have Wayne Reynolds art moving.

Adults: An animation for adults wold be a new DnD product to be selled to the alredy existing audience of gamers, the two ways it can be commercialized is on adult swim, with posterior launch on dvd, or direct for dvd, someting that the japanese already do with some sucess. For this take i think an already know adventure and a seting with more history would be essential for the expectator to view DnD in the show. The idea would be "the Rod of seven parts" in greyhawk with inspiring new heroes and a different takes on the adventure, obyriths being prominent with their discusting looks, and some tough moral choices along the way.

In either way you have to get Monte Cook to be leader writer or someting, it would mean a lot to some gamers, and he is a realy good writer, so is a win, win situation.
If i have some time i will expand my ideas for the show.

Klaus

First Post
The only reason to make a broadcasted D&D cartoon is to aim it at teens in hopes of increasing the visibility of the D&D brand.

There's also a market for straight-to-DVD animated movies that could be geared towards a more mature audience. DC Comics is investing in its straight-to-DVD animations, with Superman: Doomsday and Justice League: The New Frontier.

Remove ads