How would you rule on Salve of Slipperiness?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Salve of Slipperiness (DMG) says that it gives a 20% bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Skill checks aren't handled with percentage dice.

We could call it a +4 to the check (that being 20% of a D20), o we can add a +1 per five ranks of skill, or a +1 per five points of total bonus, or a +1 per five of the final result, or...

You get the idea.

My own thought is that it's a straight +4, and that's probably how we'll play it, but I wanted to get some other views. It's been quiet around here lately.

nijineko

Explorer
Seems to read that you make your EA check, then add 20%. Fairly straightforward.

However, your idea of 20% of the d20 is probably simpler for most - less math. After all, math is apparently illegal in some states....

11822557_1173673822649543_2841690272554840903_n.jpg

Gilladian

Adventurer
Yeah, I'd just go with +4. Not because we can't do more complex math, but who wants to spend 5 minutes doing it? Just add and go on with the fun stuff.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The 3.5 DMG p. 266 clearly says it's a +20 competence bonus, not a 20% bonus. Consider that the grease spell can grant a +10 bonus to Escape Artist checks for someone wearing greased clothing or armor. This is a better version of that, so +20 makes sense.

Remove ads