• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you suggest capturing fiends alive.

LordVyreth

First Post
The party in my game is about to begin an adventure where they have to fight notable fiends located near a city to earn prestige. They get a greater reward if they capture their targets alive and return them to the city in a mostly harmless state. Why is irrelevent, plus there's a chance one of my players are reading this. But this is a regular thing in the city, so tactics for doing so are quite common, so I need some ideas that I can pass on to them via the NPCs. What magic items, spells, and general tactics can best nullify a fiend's powers? Specifically, I think spell-like abilities, especially teleportation ones, are concerns. I suppose there's the classic "beat them into negatives and then keep on piling the non-lethal damage, or just lethal if it regenerates," but that looks a little silly if the party has to pound on its captives several times a minute for days.

Pyrex

First Post
Create a doohicky (perhaps a magical collar) that prevents creatures from regaining consciousness while wearing it.

Natural/Magical healing would still work just fine, they just wouldn't wake up until the collar came off.

lukelightning

First Post
Dimensional anchor to start with.

If you find the fiend's truename (perhaps with detect thoughts or charm monster) you can always use planar binding to get it if it gets away.

lottrbacchus

First Post
Wands of Dimensional Anchor- these would seem to be a staple. Wands rather than scrolls as the fiend-hunters might need to burn a few charges to overcome spell resistance.

You don't say how powerful the fiends or the characters are, so it is hard to give more advice than that.

frankthedm

First Post
lottrbacchus said:
You don't say how powerful the fiends or the characters are, so it is hard to give more advice than that.
400+ lb. manacles should not be that expensive compared to magic items. A birtch to lug around though.

kreynolds

First Post
Curious; If you can teleport out of a grapple, why can you not teleport out of manacles? Are the manacles considered "gear" simply because they are wrapped around the creature's arms? Personally, I think if you can teleport out of a grapple, you should be able to teleport out of your clothes, if you wanted. :D

atomn

Explorer
Dimensional Shackles from the DMG. "These shackles have golden runes traced across their cold iron surface. Any creature bound within them is affected as if a dimensional anchor spell were cast upon her (no save). They fit any Small to Large creature. The DC to break or slip out of the shackles is 30."

Although they cost 28,000 gp.

Darklone

Attach them with manacles to a wall, that beats any weight limit. Then put them into a hallowed area with dimensional anchor.

Then promise them some souls and go for a cheap pact.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads