D&D General How would you use Carrion Crawlers meaningfully?

Quickleaf

Legend
Back in 4e campaign, I used amphibious carrion crawlers that had emerged with flooding of a town. They would paralyze then drag prey into the water to drown them. PCs had to follow one of the crawlers through water back to its underground lair to find a missing NPC. Made for an interesting side quest.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I might go to my old standby and adapt an old Doctor Who story. In this case, The Green Death.

In short, an abandoned mine is being used to dump green slime. Mutant carrion crawlers are spreading the slime to the surface.
Oh I like that idea, especially combined with some of these other ideas of Carrion crawler as amphibious alien, flying Carrion Moths and a gigantic, Crawler Queen. Also seen an idea of linking rot grubs as newly hatched Crawlers - so the PCs will need to go into the flooded caves to find the paralysed mine crew who the queen has layed her eggs inside, only to find at least one is now being eaten from the inside by rot grubs

Also like the idea of linking them to ghouls…

Stormonu

Legend
Just tearing the flesh off the wolves' skulls is enough to make them into terrifying monsters, even if you run them exactly the same.
Krenshars?

1681164252498.png

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
They are attracted by light, so when I use them, I have them snuff out light sources if they can - eating or smashing torches, light rocks, lanterns, whatever. If the game is a traditional dungeon where light sources are very valuable (and cumbersome, relatively speaking), this makes them pretty scary. Even PCs with darkvision now have to content with -5 PP which isn't great for avoiding traps or surprise in subsequent challenges.

I might go to my old standby and adapt an old Doctor Who story. In this case, The Green Death.

In short, an abandoned mine is being used to dump green slime. Mutant carrion crawlers are spreading the slime to the surface.
Wow, as a Doctor Who fan of long standing who watched the classic series religiously on my PBS station back in the '80s, I'm agape that I never thought of that before. What a great idea!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Saying the name "krenshar" instantly makes them a little silly, IMO.

And exposed muscle is gross, but "blood and gore drips from the skull, and an eyeball dangles from its socket as the wolf-thing turns toward you and snarls" is much better, IMO.

Almost any monster can be pushed to the edge of "well, I forgot I was double-booked this Saturday, can't play D&D today byyyyye" with some creative reskinning.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Saying the name "krenshar" instantly makes them a little silly, IMO.

And exposed muscle is gross, but "blood and gore drips from the skull, and an eyeball dangles from socket as the wolf-thing turns toward you and snarls" is much better, IMO.

Almost any monster can be pushed to the edge of "well, I forgot I was double-booked this Saturday, can't play D&D today byyyyye" with some creative reskinning.

May I present the Hound of Glory? They are possessed rabid canines cursed while feeding of the flesh of executed prisoners. Looks like a normal wolf or dog, but when you least expect it, the eyes start flickering like candles and you start to fall asleep. The gross hand that emerges from their bloodied mouth will try to choke you while you sleep. Now that's a creepy reskin!
(image is from a monster in Shadow Hearts, great series for creepy monsters ideas)

1681171807381.png

Remove ads