• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How's my Succubus

Kylas

Explorer
In my high powered campaign a one of my friends couldn't stand watching anymore and we got him playing DnD with us. He wanted to play a succubus character with bard levels. Since the other players were at level 9 I used the rules for monster creation created a 1HD succubus and let him roll the 2 bard levels. If I did this correct He should have an ECL of 9 right?? He's complaining that he has low BAB and Hp but with all his abilities

DR 10
Immunities/resistances
Summoning/spells

I argue that hes more than adequate for the campaign. Did I create the character right?? For Monsters as PCs are you supposed to take the HD from the MM and let the ECL Balance over time (which would make him ECL 12 6HD + 6 LA I think) or is my way correct?

javcs

First Post
Er, well, without using Savage Species, the earliest a Succubus is available as a PC is 12th - 6 racial HD and a +6LA.

Savage Species has progressions for various creatures, the succubus is one of them.

Creamsteak

Explorer
If it's a 6/6 I think the Savage Species progression would be Succubus level/level adjustment level until 12th, then you can start taking bard levels.

So at 9th ECL, you're looking at 5 hit dice with 9/12ths of his Succubus features. Only after finishing the Succubus levels could it start on the regular levels.

Last edited:

Xardian

First Post
I've actually played an almost identical character before. The simplest way to do it is to look at what things are modified by taking aditional outsider hit dice. Then adjust those all back down to match 1 HD (spell resistance will be much lower, for instance). Leave all the other abilities and slap the +6 La on it and you've got a playable ECL 7 character. Add class levels or outsider HD to taste after that. Remember, the Succubus with 6HD is considered the standard Adult succubus. Fewer HD just means you're a younger and weaker succubus.

Yeah, the HP and BAB suck horridly. But since when was a succubus combat focused? You use Charm and Suggestion to end fights before they kill you, or Etheral Jaunt or Greater Teleportation to high-tail it out when things look bad and no one's interested in demonic cleavage. It really does work and makes for a very effective and survivable character. Played right it'll be a blast, too. Oh, and Tongues is priceless for such a social-oriented character.

Savage Species also offers an option to take a 12-level class-style progression for the Race, which avoids the temptation to only ever take 1 HD of succubus just to grab all the abilities and killer stats. Of course, you'll need to bump the Int stat bonuses all to level 1 in order to keep the skill points evened out with what the standard final result should be.

A Crazy Fool

First Post
I would personally create a more PC-able version with lower ability scores and HD (and all that other ascociated with them stuff too, of course) and then tack on class levels as needed.

Jhulae

First Post
The SS succubus is based on the 3.0 succubus, not the 3.5 succubus. While some of the things from SS were actually updated to 3.5 in the Planar Handbook (or whatever the 3.5 version is called), the succubus was not. Nor has it been brought out as a web enhancement.

Note, the Kyton was one of the SS monsters updated to a 3.5 progression. Because everybody must play Kytons in their campaigns. And nobody must play a succubus ever.

No, I'm not bitter about it.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Jhulae said:
The SS succubus is based on the 3.0 succubus, not the 3.5 succubus.

No, I'm not bitter about it.

What is so different from the 3.0 SS Succubus from the 3.5 MM version? I can't imagine it changed all that much.

As has been stated by WotC... If they didn't update or reprint it for 3.5, then the 3.0 version is fine. If you want a PC playable succubus, just juse SS 3.0 version. Not a big deal...

Xardian

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
What is so different from the 3.0 SS Succubus from the 3.5 MM version? I can't imagine it changed all that much.

As has been stated by WotC... If they didn't update or reprint it for 3.5, then the 3.0 version is fine. If you want a PC playable succubus, just juse SS 3.0 version. Not a big deal...

There are a few differences from the 3.0 to the 3.5, but they're all easily modified yourself. Most of it is just trimming down the huge list of spell-like abilities to match the 3.5 version and then replacing Polymorph with Change Shape. Easy-peasy.

Ovistavin

First Post
Xardian said:
There are a few differences from the 3.0 to the 3.5, but they're all easily modified yourself. Most of it is just trimming down the huge list of spell-like abilities to match the 3.5 version and then replacing Polymorph with Change Shape. Easy-peasy.

Don't forget to change the DR 10/+3 to 10/Cold Iron or Good.

Jhulae

First Post
Xardian said:

The Kyton hardly changed at all between 3.0 and 3.5, yet WotC saw fit to completely redo the Kyton's progression in another book. Compared to the Kyton, the Succubus had *major* changes to it's powers and abilities, yet, no redo of their level progression.

Remove ads