• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How's the Exprt Tact/Bluff/Sneak Atk Tactic working for you?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hello all, I haven't seen this topic yet but perhaps it was discussed some time ago, but does this tactic work for all you would-be rogues?

Bluff Skill (PHB p. 64)- feinting in combat, requires a std action, opponent loses dexterity bonus for your next attack if successful.

Expert Tactician (S&F, p. 6)- Gain one partial action per round whenever a melee opponent is denied their dexterity.

Does the "feint" provide you with that Extra partial action? Your opponent is denied their dex bonus if you successfully feint (std action). Now you have a partial action and a move action left. Can the rogue do a full-attack, gaining sneak attack bonuses?

Thanks, and sorry if this was discussed a long time ago and I missed it heh. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Does the "feint" provide you with that Extra partial action? Your opponent is denied their dex bonus if you successfully feint (std action).

Don't forget, the opponent is only denied his Dex bonus for your next attack. Until you attack, Expert Tactitian doesn't trigger.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Also, Expert Tactitian errata changed the "partial action" to a "melee attack". So no full attack action.

In any case, you can't combine an extra partial with a move action to make a full-round action.

It's like having an apple. If you eat two thirds of your apple, and then someone gives you an extra two thirds of an apple, you don't have a whole apple... you have two pieces of apple. If you need a whole apple for something, you're out of luck.

-Hyp.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hmm, I'm confused, isn't it possible to use a partial action granted by Haste and a second partial action from your round and then make a full-attack though?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Well, Bluff specifically says: "on your NEXT attack, opponent is not allowed their dex bonus". So in the following round the rogue makes his full-attack with sneak attack bonus and an extra melee attack granted by Exp Tactician. Hmmm, I think I got it, thanks Hyper.

Edit- though only the first attack gains a sneak attack bonus, do you think so?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hmm, I'm confused, isn't it possible to use a partial action granted by Haste and a second partial action from your round and then make a full-attack though?

It would be news to me. If you mean the "Start Full Round Action" partial action on PHB p127, Full Attack is not a Miscellaneous Full-Round Action.

Why would you not use your Haste partial action to do whatever-it-was you used your Move action for in the first place, leaving you with your normal round's complement of actions to make your attack, though? Haste partial can come before or after your regular actions...

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
though only the first attack gains a sneak attack bonus, do you think so?

That's what I'd say, yes.

I seem to recall people got some really weird Customer Service responses, but what you've outlined is how I'd play it.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads