• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Howzabout Top Secret as a d20 Modern minigame in Polyhedron?

JPL

Adventurer
Yeah, I know...by all accounts, Spycraft is great.

But I remember Orion v. the Web. Many a happy hour when I was 14-15 was spent with that game...and d20 Modern could use a little espionage support, anyway.

What I'm thinking is five or ten advanced or prestige classes, a few pages of background [what has Orion been up to since 1990, anyway?], a good chunk of genre advice, and some story hooks.

Anyway...I'd like to see that. Erik Mona, you are on notice.

Feliks

First Post
Whe I first read this post I thought the intent was to create an RPG from the Val Kilmer movie by the same title. I was intrigued to say the least.

My character isnt getting in or near any polkadot cow suit!!

:D

JPL

Adventurer
Maybe once I get fired from my current job, I'll spend my last paycheck on old Top Secret S.I. books, Alias DVDs and Spycraft and write the thing myself.

[I'm trying to be less of an "idea man" and more of a "completed project man."]

dpmcalister

Explorer
If you're going to extrapolate (sp?) Orion's future history (so to speak), I think you'll find after The Web desolved into their own mess Orion would have gone the same way (but not as messy). After all, their prime reason for being was fighting The Web.

As for doing a d20 Modern version...

JPL

Adventurer
dpmcalister said:
If you're going to extrapolate (sp?) Orion's future history (so to speak), I think you'll find after The Web desolved into their own mess Orion would have gone the same way (but not as messy). After all, their prime reason for being was fighting The Web.

As for doing a d20 Modern version...

So then what happens when all those WEB sleeper cells kick into action in the wake of 9/11?

A new Orion, outgunned and outfunded and outmanned?

A handful of veteran agents reuniting a decade later to save the world once again?

Last edited:

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Part of me liked Web and part of me thought that it was too much like COBRA. After a few games of using Web in my old Top Secret campaign I quickly realized that the foolish and inept way they seemed to handle themselves (as well as one dismal failure after another at the hands of the PCs) they essentially went bankrupt, split into splinter cells with charismatic overlords running the show in each cell. Things seemed to work out much crisper and cleaner after that and I felt much less silly.

But at age 14/15, I too thought they were kind of cool. Maybe it was a year later when I said 'feh.'

JPL

Adventurer
Keeper of Secrets said:
Part of me liked Web and part of me thought that it was too much like COBRA. After a few games of using Web in my old Top Secret campaign I quickly realized that the foolish and inept way they seemed to handle themselves (as well as one dismal failure after another at the hands of the PCs) they essentially went bankrupt, split into splinter cells with charismatic overlords running the show in each cell. Things seemed to work out much crisper and cleaner after that and I felt much less silly.

But at age 14/15, I too thought they were kind of cool. Maybe it was a year later when I said 'feh.'

Well, the more you think of the Web as Cobra or THRUSH or Hydra, the cheesier it is. I think the idea that it's splintered into cells which may now have competing agendas helps it get away from the rather dated James Bond model.

So maybe Orion 2004 is a bit more like something we'd see in Alias or "24," having evolved with its enemy. I like the notion that after the Web disbanded, Orion did too, and that it's now more of a small task force up against an elusive opponent.

Remove ads