• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Huge collection of House Rules from our group.

DanmarLOK

First Post
It's dnd it rounds down. :) I am aware of the .5 though but in this case it doesn't make any difference and saved me some typing.

d4 = 2.5 average with +1 = 3.5 average
d6 = 3.5 average.

The point was the OP's HR of going up one die size was to make wielding a one hand in two hands more significant which in practice equates to the same thing as the RAW +1. So to make the HR have any real significance you have to go up 2 die sizes. (or simply change the bonus to a +2)

Your averages are severely wrong on the single dice.

d8 average=4.5
d10 av=5.5
d12 av=6.5

As such, to boost those averages by +1, well d8->d12; d10->d12; d12->3d4

d10->2d6=+1.5, not +2

And why you'd want to boost the dice to be worth +2 anyway, that seems a bit much of a boost.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
When I have a power giving me multiple [W] I really want a larger die size not a +1.
And those 1W attacks come in to play progressively less over the course your characters career... depending on the character design ofcourse.

Rachel

First Post
Can't this be handled by imbuing the weapon, rather than the ammunition?
Why bother wasting time with writing up new rules when things like "Distance Weapon," "Duelist's Bow" and "Rebounding Weapon" already exist? They were created solely to give ranged fighters a bonus, after all.

The idea in my head was, even if you had a mundane, unenchanted, non-magical whoop-dee-frickin-doo bow/sling/whatever, you may be able to find magical ammunition for it and still have fun (almost like having a magical ranged weapon). Also, you can combine different ammunitions with different magical weapons for fun effects. How about your +1 enchanted bow that does fire-type damage and arrows of frostbite (?) that inflict cold-typed damage, thus in rp terms you are now firing icey-hot projectiles. It's all about having fun, and more magical item variation is never a bad thing...just adds even more to the flavor of the game.

Meditate on these things, grasshoppa. :)

DanmarLOK

First Post
It can certainly feel like more damage and if you do roll maximum you do deal more damage at the top. But you'll deal less damage at the low end. But over the life of the weapon, +1 damage and +1 die size will yield an identical damage per attack average.

Unless it's calculated as 3[W]+1 for RAW rather than 3[W+1]? In that case the increased die size will definitely boost damage across the board. I don't have any players that wield weapons this way so I'm not familiar with the ruling on how it's computed.

When I have a power giving me multiple [W] I really want a larger die size not a +1.
And those 1W attacks come in to play progressively less over the course your characters career... depending on the character design ofcourse.

Keenberg

First Post
The idea in my head was, even if you had a mundane, unenchanted, non-magical whoop-dee-frickin-doo bow/sling/whatever, you may be able to find magical ammunition for it and still have fun (almost like having a magical ranged weapon).

True, options and variation are never a bad thing. It reminds me of Bard from The Hobbit, who would always recover his family heirloom arrow after use, because it never failed to smite the enemy in one shot. I'd assume your players would be adamant about recoving their magic ammo like Bard was.

Remove ads