• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Huge Greatsword Damage

palin

First Post
I was wondering what everyone though the damage for a Huge Greatsword is?

The best that I can figure out, based on DMG rules is 2d8, but that makes a Huge Greatsword damage equal to a Huge Longsword's damage. So I dunno.

Pax

Banned
Banned
palin said:
I was wondering what everyone though the damage for a Huge Greatsword is?

The best that I can figure out, based on DMG rules is 2d8, but that makes a Huge Greatsword damage equal to a Huge Longsword's damage. So I dunno.

Each die the weapon does, is modified by the Table.

From Large to Huge is one steop up; Greatswords do 2d6. A d6 becomes a d8, so, Huge Greatswords do 2d8 damage.

A Medium Longsword does 1d8. One step up means, a Large Longsword does 2d6 ... IOW, the Greatsword IS a Longsword increased by one step. Huge Greatsword or Huge Longsword, you're talking about the same weapon, really.

Now, that is why I usually use a size desriptor based on who woudl WEILD it -- IMO, a "Huge Greatsword" would be a greatswrod to a Huge creature ... sicne the Greatsword is one size higher than the creature that would expect to weild it, that means, the Greatsword intended for Huge creatures, i suped TWICE, not once (Huge is two steps above Medium, the users of the original, base Greatsword).

2d6 becomes 2d8 becomes ... 4d6.

So, if you keep the Longsword and Greatsword proportionat to each toehr, they do (medium users, per PHB)1d8/2d6, (large users, +1 size step)2d6/2d8, (huge users, +2 size steps) 2d8/4d6, and so on.

Takeda

First Post
Right! Remember a weapon that is the size of the wielder can usually be considered a 1-handed weapon. A huge Longsword and a Huge Greatsword are about the same size, ... but a Huge Greatsword could be wielded by a Large creature two handed, or a Huge creature one handed.

If a Huge creature wants a two handed weapon, a Gargantuan Greatsword would do 4d6 damage, ... before you add in the damage bonus for strength x 1.5!!!!!

Strength 33 Mountain Giant with a Gargantuan Morning Star does 4d6+16 damage! Gee, do you think they will get to use their Cleave, Great Cleave feats much?! ;)

Mountain Giant at bottom

Last edited:

Remove ads