Human + Half-Elf = ?

ARandomGod

First Post
AuraSeer said:
And that's only if each individual trait is controlled by exactly one gene, and each gene is on a separate chromosome! In RL humans, a simple trait like hair coloring is influenced by multiple genes and they interact in complex ways. Even if the science of genetics works in your D&D world, these calculations are probably not worth your time.

True that it's relatively complex. But the statistics can be boiled down to a pretty simple 25% of the time the child will be statistically human, with no real noticable difference.

25% of the time the child will be statistically human, but with some exotic traits.

25% of the time the child will be statistically half elf, but with fewer exotic traits than the common half elf.

And about 25 % of the time the genes will be not only statistically half elven, with a fairly standard half elven build.

Bryin

First Post
Give it +4 to sleep spells and spell-like abilities and a weaker version of low-light vision, bam you got a quarter elf

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
ARandomGod said:
True that it's relatively complex. But the statistics can be boiled down to a pretty simple 25% of the time the child will be statistically human, with no real noticable difference.

25% of the time the child will be statistically human, but with some exotic traits.[snip]
If we're still talking about RL genetics, I think you're making unwarranted assumptions. We don't have enough information to determine the odds of a "statistically human" child.

Take an example involving three genes, the ones whose elvish versions grant pointy ears, low-light vision, and sleep immunity. Assume they're all carried on separate chromosomes, and a given child has an even chance of ending up with the human or elvish version. You'll end up with only one-eighth of the children having all human traits, one-eighth being statistically "half-elven", and the remaining 75% having some other combination of traits.Change the assumptions-- put multiple genes on one chromosome, or make multiple genes control one trait-- and the odds change wildly. And it only gets more complex if you consider the sum of all human and half-elvish traits together.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Sado said:
Make half-elves unable to reproduce, like that loveable cross between a horse and donkey-the Mule.
Hey, that reminds me. Doesn't Eberron say that its half-elves breed true? I wonder if they mention half-elf crossbreeding too...

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Felix said:
Because the game mechanics provide 3 discrete races, the easiest thing to do is to assume a "Human" gene and an "Elf" gene, and that whenever they are both present, you have a half elf, with all that entails game mechanics wise.
Did you read my post before quoting? Go read the very first line again-- the one where I qualified that ARandomGod and I were discussing RL genetics. In RL genetics, it doesn't make sense that there would be a single "elf" gene. (It does make sense in D&D pseudo-genetics, though, hence the qualifier.)

The guy is looking for a simple answer.
Yes, that was my original point, thanks for restating it.

As I said in my second post in this thread, statistical genetic calculations are very complicated and not worth the DM's time. Later posts along that line are simply side discussions about just how complicated it would be. Some of us like playing around with gratuitous math; if you don't, you needn't read those posts.

ARandomGod

First Post
AuraSeer said:
As I said in my second post in this thread, statistical genetic calculations are very complicated and not worth the DM's time. Later posts along that line are simply side discussions about just how complicated it would be. Some of us like playing around with gratuitous math; if you don't, you needn't read those posts.

Yes. It really all boils down to how complicated a GM wants to get. Basically it's best to do it the first way I stated: The genetics return whatever type child the GM decides it does. Of course, it's usually best if the GM attempts to stay within the realm of reason. A half dragon out of this would require some justification... ~_^

Felix

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
Did you read my post before quoting?
What, are you kidding? Absolutely not! I passed completely over your assumptions to more directly assualt your then-baseless claims and make you look so embarassingly victimized by my razor sharp commentary that you would send me all your money, and any phone numbers of attractive women you might know as tribute that it might not happen again! HA!

And so I look like a git.

Sorry about that! :)

Remove ads