• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Human Mind Adept invincible to melee?

pippenainteasy

First Post
Just came across this in the Compendium (also in Dark Sun Creature Catalog)

Human Mind Adept Level 15 Controller has the following aura:

aura.png
Overwhelming Thoughts (charm)
x.gif
Aura 2
Any enemy that ends its turn within the aura cannot make an attack that includes the adept as a target until the end of that enemy’s next turn.

So...this seems like an infinite loop. If you have a melee character and you are within 2 squares of the Mind Adept, and your reach is 1, you can't target him...this guy could solo Drizzt then...am I reading this right?

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
It mostly means you cannot stay next to him. If you move away from him and end your turn outside, you can move back in and attack the next turn.

Yes, it is bad for melee, but not insurmountable.

It mostly means you cannot stay next to him. If you move away from him and end your turn outside, you can move back in and attack the next turn.

Yes, it is bad for melee, but not insurmountable.
Yep, exactly. If for example you move to the enemy, hit him, and push him back 1 square, you could repeat the same next turn (provided you have a power like that still available) and never suffer from the Aura penalties. But for the Adept the advantage would be that you'd not be adjacent to it on its turn, meaning it can avoid opportunity attacks (I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Adept were an Artillery monster.)

Breaks

First Post
It's an aura 2, so you'd have to push 2, not 1, but otherwise correct.

It does sound annoying to confront in melee, but most parties should have at least one ranged combatant of their own, and anyone with a charge-build could alternate between the adept and another target.

pippenainteasy

First Post
Ah I see now. Yeah I suppose you could hop back and forth. Although you would only be able to attack once every other turn.

Truly OP would be "If an enemy enters the aura..." :angel:

Obryn

Hero
I've used two Mind Adepts, and they rock. They pose specific tactical issues that really make for a fun fight.

-O

pippenainteasy

First Post
Can't a Mind Adept just chase after a melee character and permanently be immune to its attacks?

For example 1) You end your turn 2) Mind Adept walks next to you and ends his turn 3) Your turn starts, and you can't attack the Mind Adept

Or does "end your turn" only mean the immediate moment when the turn ends, and so the Mind Adept walking next to you before your next turn does not count?

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
Can't a Mind Adept just chase after a melee character and permanently be immune to its attacks?
No; the trigger is when the melee character's turn ends, not when the mind adept's turn ends.

It's just about the worst tactic possible for him. He wants to stay at range.

-O

Remove ads