• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Human Wizards wants a Longsword

Squire James

First Post
As a real radical idea, if the Wizard really wants to possess and really use a Longsword, he might actually want to be a Swordmage! Kind of like a Fighter who wants to use a bow is well advised to be a Ranger...

It's not like the class names are necessarily Official Designations every PC must wear on his sleeve. If someone asks what he is, he can say "I'm a mage" or even "I'm a wizard who specializes in sword magic" and not be telling any lies.

Klaus

First Post
As a real radical idea, if the Wizard really wants to possess and really use a Longsword, he might actually want to be a Swordmage! Kind of like a Fighter who wants to use a bow is well advised to be a Ranger...

It's not like the class names are necessarily Official Designations every PC must wear on his sleeve. If someone asks what he is, he can say "I'm a mage" or even "I'm a wizard who specializes in sword magic" and not be telling any lies.
Truth.

If having certain Wizard spells is so crucial, a Swordmage multiclassed into Wizard is a good match.

GakToid

Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. In this particular case, I'm the player and the character already exists. We've been running the campaign as PHB ONLY. There's been some recent discussion on opening it up to other books, so I'm revisiting some of my early characters concepts.

Here's my original thread for reference. It's about 5 pages of tangents and 4 of useful info.
Wizard Build Suggestions (PHB ONLY!)

I've made it as far as I had planned out and since I was considering multi-classing into swordmage anyway, it seemed like a natural area to explore.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hoban Reynoldson, level 4
Human, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Imposition

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 17, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 34 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
History +11, Arcana +11, Insight +10, Nature +10, Diplomacy +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, Intimidate +3, Perception +5, Religion +6, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 4: Improved Initiative

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Thunderwave
Wizard at-will 1: Cloud of Daggers
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard encounter 1: Icy Terrain
Wizard daily 1: Flaming Sphere
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Sleep
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Expeditious Retreat
Wizard encounter 3: Icy Rays

ITEMS
Spellbook, Orb Implement, Dagger, Longsword, Longbow, Arrows (30), Cloak of Resistance +1, Orb of Inevitable Continuance +1, Bloodcut Leather Armor +1, Residuum (Any) (170), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Shadowfell Gloves (heroic tier), Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch (empty), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrod (2), Trail Rations (10), Everburning Torch
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Comprehend Language, Make Whole, Endure Elements
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

-Gak Toid

igniz13

First Post
With the new errata updates from Essentials, MCing into SM gets you the ability to use Longswords as an implement for all your attacks, alternatively you could just run a swordmage.

I'm not entirly sure where longswords fit into the build you provided though.

You could go for Str and Int dual primary, with Con / Cha as Secondary and staff of defence.

The only feats you need are: MC Swordmage and Weapon Prof Longsword. Later, take on the Spiral Tower PP.

If you start throwing in other books, there are a horde of options, too many to bother mentioning and going over really. The real problem though is that you build doesn't scream longsword user.

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
I think the useful question for you to answer is: why do you want your Wizard to use a longsword?

If it is just for flavor, do what other posters have suggested, and re-flavor a staff implement. Then, all you need is melee training.

If it is for some kind of mechanical benefit, what benefit are you seeking?

GakToid

Explorer
Hoban carries a longsword and longbow for background reasons (which I won't delve into here). He has wielded the longsword on occasion and I figured it would be appropriate for him to get better with using it.

Since there are already mechanics to allow a wizard to use the longsword for attacks and powers I thought it best to query the community on what my options were, before delving into house rules territory.

This is more of an exercise of minimizing the cost of making Hoban unique, than it is optimizing his power.

-Gak Toid

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Looking at your build... I wouldn't even bother trying to get your longsword to be used as an implement. You have the orb mastery class feature, so why wouldn't you have an orb? Thus carrying a longsword only matters for flavor reasons.

Carry a longsword, use it as needed for melee basic attacks. If you want to get better at it, take weapon proficiency as you thought.

Remove ads