D&D 5E Humans, am I missing something? And what's up with half-elf skill bonus?

Bryk

First Post
Not sure how I've seen this twice now, this array below totals 28 points. 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 9 = 28. Point buy is 27.

There default human is a little boring but not to bad for classes that have to use medium armor as getting your 2 16s means giving up a 14. Using point buy you can go

Which becomes 12,12,12,14,14,16. 16 strength, con dex for example as a light cleric as you want to buff wisdom for example or if you want to play a skill monkey character or have great saves. That 8 dex dump stat in heavy armor will bite you in the ass eventually.

Also rolling stats could also make the default human very attractive depending on what is rolled. A pair of 17s becomes 2 18s, 3 15's become 3 16'd. They also make good multiclass PCs. The main problems I see are.

1. Variant human is optional
2. Feats are optional
3. Multiclass is optional.
4. Races apart from Human/Dwarf/Elf/Halfling are optional

It also seems you get the choice to roll 4d6 drop the lowest or use the stat array. DMs discretion if you can use point buy.

Mandragola

First Post
A lot of this analysis ignores the racial abilities that other races get, but that's a mistake. Something like the half-orc's ability to not fall over when reduced to 0hp, or the dragonborn's breath attack is huge, especially at low level.

I'm not saying that's equal to heavy armour master, but that's not all you get with the racial pages. There are languages, skills, and assorted other options like the brutal attacks half orcs get or the resistances dragonborn, dwarves and tieflings have. From 4th level a dwarf, half orc or dragonborn can have the same feat, nearly the same (the human will have one stat with a better mod than a HO or DB, and be identical with a mountain dwarf) stats AND all their other racial abilities - probably making them better than a variant human.

Humans do get an advantage if they take a feat without any stat boost in it, as they can still start with a 16 in their primary stat and hit 20 at level 8. So that's a clear advantage to the human, kind of. They pay for that by having worse stats overall (they have to pay for a 15 in the stat at start) and no racial bonuses.

My point is that it's not something humans get "for free". It's a trade-off. It may not be a totally fair trade but actually I don't think it's way off. You're actually never going have exactly equal characters in terms of power within a group anyway, so something that gives a slight benefit to one race for 3 levels just really isn't a huge deal. I seriously don't think that the human variant rules could ever overpower a party enough for it to be a headache for DMs.

D

dco

I don't think the OP is missing much. A +2 in a stat is much more powerful than two +1s. Using the standard array, a non-human can start off with two 16s; a human cannot. Using point buy, to get two 16s a non-human has to buy a 15 and a 14; a human has to buy two 15s. Plus non-humans get cool abilities like resistances, darkvision, etc.
Yes, if you use the ability point cost table the races with +2 bonus have an advantage because costs are not linear, this is not fair in my opinion.
My solution is to change the costs of the table so they are linear, 14=6points, 15=7points. Players are a bit better but I like it, they are heroes and if they rolled dice they could end much better or much worse. You can always give them 24 points instead of 27 if you don't feel generous.
This way the guys with +2 racial bonuses don't have an advantage.

Last edited:

Tzarevitch

First Post
Yes, if you use the ability point cost table the races with +2 bonus have an advantage because costs are not linear, this is not fair in my opinion.
My solution is to change the costs of the table so they are linear, 14=6points, 15=7points. Players are a bit better but I like it, they are heroes and if they rolled dice they could end much better or much worse. You can always give them 24 points instead of 27 if you don't feel generous.
This way the guys with +2 racial bonuses don't have an advantage.

+2 to your class' primary stat is still a huge advantage even if you roll for the stats, it just isn't as enormous. +1 to 6 stats is only of much value if all of the stats have strong value, which they don't. 5e like every other edition before it rewards you far more for maximizing your strengths than it does for minimizing weaknesses. The other human option makes humans much better. You can expend the bonus feat to take one which gives you a +1 to the stat you want (plus some other bonus) giving you the net +2 which lets you keep up with the non-humans.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, the balancing assumption is that the player is rolling dice. Both point buy and the array are variants, not core assumptions of the system. To be fair to the balance, random die rolls need to be the baseline for comparison.

And I can say from experience at this point, bot humans and half-elves rock random die roll generation.

DracoSuave

First Post
Given that the goal of this game, stat wise, is to get to an even number to make the boost to 20 easy as possible, there are times where a +2 is not better than a +1. If you have a 15 in a stat, the highest available, a +1 is just as good.

Mercule

Adventurer
Sure, but what kind of meanie-head DM wouldn't allow feats? Boo meanie-head DMs! :D
I would totally be down for a game like that. As it is, I'm allowing feats, but making a heavy emphasis on the "you're 4th level, so you get two ability points". If there's a particular feat someone wants, so be it, but it's not assumed.

That considered, my wife really just wants to show up and play, so I'm usually left doing the statistic analysis to make her characters work. She gained 4th level, last night, with her elven fighter. I listed off a couple of feat choices (with analysis) and the only one that really caught her attention was Resilience (Dexterity), which brings her to an 18 and gives her some comfort around casters. She might pick up Tough, but I wouldn't put money on it. The most/all of the other players are taking feats, too, but I don't think anyone has a shopping list, so I doubt I'll see any taken beyond 8th level, as a rule. The feats just don't jump out, unless you've got something specific you're looking for. That suits me just fine.

Back to the main topic:

I think the humans with +1 to all make a very nice "default". Each of the other races are going to be slightly better at something, but none will be as balanced as a human. It's a study in min-maxing vs. max-minning; the human has fewer weaknesses. The variant human is at least on-par with the other races. If nothing else, a good number of feats grant a +1 to some ability score. So, the human who wants to play an archer Fighter, say, puts a +1 into Dex and the other into Con. Then, he takes Resilience (Dexterity), which gives him a +2 Dex/+1 Con -- better than what either high or wood elf grants. The weapon proficiencies are redundant with the class's. He trades in darkvision for an extra save proficiency. He can choose to spend the extra skill in Perception or something else. Having seen it in play, the cantrip won't be missed for a Fighter, nor would I expect the woodsy stealth to be (for a Fighter). That means, at worst, the character is behind an elven archer by either 5' of movement or a language -- either of which could be argued away by the freedom to select what stat gets the secondary +1.

You may disagree with my valuation, but it would come down to some subjective calls. That fact, alone, makes a pretty strong argument that the human isn't objectively underpowered. I'm sure there are some play styles that would find the human at a disadvantage, but that's still not absolute. The groups I've played with have generally found well-rounded characters to have better survival.

transtemporal

Explorer
I would totally be down for a game like that. As it is, I'm allowing feats, but making a heavy emphasis on the "you're 4th level, so you get two ability points". If there's a particular feat someone wants, so be it, but it's not assumed.

That considered, my wife really just wants to show up and play, so I'm usually left doing the statistic analysis to make her characters work. She gained 4th level, last night, with her elven fighter. I listed off a couple of feat choices (with analysis) and the only one that really caught her attention was Resilience (Dexterity), which brings her to an 18 and gives her some comfort around casters. She might pick up Tough, but I wouldn't put money on it. The most/all of the other players are taking feats, too, but I don't think anyone has a shopping list, so I doubt I'll see any taken beyond 8th level, as a rule. The feats just don't jump out, unless you've got something specific you're looking for. That suits me just fine.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek really. There are some feats that are maybe a bit powerful for low levels but if thats the sole objection, just allow them from 8 instead of 4 and disallow the human variant race. Done!

Other than that, I think feats are interesting and give the character some interesting options they wouldn't have otherwise had. Some people (not necessarily you) seem to have a real vehement objection to feats.

D

dco

+2 to your class' primary stat is still a huge advantage even if you roll for the stats, it just isn't as enormous. +1 to 6 stats is only of much value if all of the stats have strong value, which they don't. 5e like every other edition before it rewards you far more for maximizing your strengths than it does for minimizing weaknesses. The other human option makes humans much better. You can expend the bonus feat to take one which gives you a +1 to the stat you want (plus some other bonus) giving you the net +2 which lets you keep up with the non-humans.
+2 is going to give you a +5% chance to rolls using that ability modifier, multiple +1 can give you multiple +5% if your ability scores were odd. Humans have the advantage here.
Depends if you want feats or if your GM allows them, the second option is not better per se, it can be better if you want to focus on something.

Honestly, the balancing assumption is that the player is rolling dice. Both point buy and the array are variants, not core assumptions of the system. To be fair to the balance, random die rolls need to be the baseline for comparison.

And I can say from experience at this point, bot humans and half-elves rock random die roll generation.
You can choose 15,14,13,12,10,8 , this array follows the point buy system and is not a variant rule.
Some will rock with random rolls, but the guy with 3 or more abilities with negative modifiers will suck.

Last edited:

Remove ads