• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humans are corruptible!

BBQ

First Post
Ahglock said:
Well the default assumption could be that unions of tieflings and humans are absurdly rare. Also even if it always breeds tiefling it doesn't mean they breed easy. What if human/tiefling unions were more in the 1 in 1000 variety instead of 1 in 20 or maybe its 1 in 100 but the still born rate is around 95%.

Yeah. Chicks with horns are gross.

Ahglock

First Post
Andor said:
That's why the Dwarves invented beer.

They're in on the plot!

I've said it before I'll say it again, a paper bag could not hide the ugly of the tieflings in the art. Subtle horns, normal skin ok, I can roll with that. Giant marvel loki horns and thick lizard tail, red skin yeah not going there.

They may look cool, but not sexy, or I can blend in humanity subtle.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Ahglock said:
I've said it before I'll say it again, a paper bag could not hide the ugly of the tieflings in the art. Giant marvel loki horns and thick lizard tail, red skin yeah not going there.
They may look cool, but not sexy, or I can blend in humanity subtle.
I don't know, the horns make nice handholds and tails can be used inventively :D I'd bet tieflings would be more popular than a squad of drunk cheerleaders at a party. :cool:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
HeavenShallBurn said:
I don't know, the horns make nice handholds and tails can be used inventively :D I'd bet tieflings would be more popular than a squad of drunk cheerleaders at a party. :cool:

Not if they had a sulfurous oder like some did back in 2e.

Branduil

Hero
Irda Ranger said:
That, by the way, is an example of someone at WotC thinking with their kidneys. Or I should say, not thinking at all about what they wrote. If there was any interbreeding at all (it doesn't even have to be that much), the tiefling population would quickly swallow the entire human population and humans would disappear entirely.

Some quick and dirty math ...
- even if you start with tieflings only being 0.01% of the population
- and even if only one marriage and twenty was human-tiefling (all others are intra-racial)
- and even if those h-t marriages breed strictly at replacement rates (2.1 children), and not at any rate higher than the rest of the population ...

The world is 100% tieflings in 144 generations. No humans left. If the tiefling population is any greater than 1 in a 1000 to start, or if intermarriage were even a little more common, than it happens a lot faster.

You can argue that 144 generations is a long time (~3,000 years in human generations), and it is, but that's no excuse. The point remains that if tielfling-human marriage always results in tieflings, it's game over for the human species, eventually.

I know most of you people don't care about this stuff, but it grates on my emulationist nerves. I really wish WotC had a "common sense" checker to keep an eye out for stuff like this before it went out the door. This doesn't even have a "it makes the game more fun" excuse, leaving it just a pure chunk of undiluted stupid.
Well that would be a good reason for human populations to persecute Tieflings and shun them from their societies.

neceros

Adventurer
While this thread has delved into the abyss it self, I will admit the sexiness of the Tieflings is still attractive. Guess I'm weird.

Gunpowder

First Post
on subject
I do not think that corruption is describing race. The quote was just referring to the downside to human's versitilaty. That they tend to mess with things that they should not.

Irda Ranger said:
Population Ecology

I would disagree with your conclusion here.

1. the h-t marriage rate is doubling the tieflings population and is not at the replacement rate because the two tieflings are only growing the tiefling population the first one replaces the tiefling parent and the other simple adds to the population because the human parent is not calculated in for the tiefling population.
1a. At the same time the human parent that is with the tiefling is simply removed from the human population because he/she will not produce human offspring, it would be no different if that human had died in adolescence as far as population growth is concerned so you are also decreasing human fecundity/generation exponentially as well.

2. You are also assuming that there is enough resources to support the growing tiefling population. Perhaps in a human kingdom non-humans are not considered citizens and so are barred from many benefits and perks and thus the resources to provide for a mate and offspring are reduced making human partners much more appealing.
2a. You are also assuming that all offspring will produce offspring of their own and ignoring any difference in death rate for the two populations. Tieflings may have a higher death rate than humans due to reduced access to resources mentioned in point 2.

3. I am about to completely disagree with point 1a because fecundity is not calculated based on total population size but solely on the population of females because that is the limiting factor regarding fecundity. Human males can hook up with tieflings as much as they want and it would not affect the fecundity of the population as long as there are enough human males to marry all the females in the population. Granted female humans marrying tieflings will affect fecundity but we do not know what the majority of h-t matings are.

In conclusion, population ecology while interesting (I am an ecology major for a reason), it is also complicated and I would rather focus on killing things and taking their stuff then mess with calculating fitness rates. Also I think I misused the term fecundity a couple times, fitness is the term I should have used, consider the terms interchangeable

(aside I find it funny that my first post is discussing the fitness rates of tiefling and human populations.)

We should also consider the "Points of Light" aspect when we speculate about the Tiefling population. Points of Light means the D&D world is one huge wilderness lightly sprinkled with small isolated towns inhabited by people who have never been outside a couple of miles of their town.

We also know that the D&D races have terrain and climate preferences. Thus we have Human towns dotting the prairies and savannahs and those situated by rivers might have Halfling ghettos. Tieflings are the remnant population of an ancient fallen empire which probably grew up around a river delta so Tieflings may inhabit coastal villages and might subsist on fishing. Elves and Eladrins hide in their forests. Dwarves live inside the mountains and might have trading posts at the feet of their mouintains where they trade with the other races.

The Tiefling empire probaly started out as a Human settlement and then a few Wizards and Warlocks planar bound some Succubi and these liasons resulted in Tiefling offspring. The Tiefling phenotype spread through the empire in few generations and then they almost wiped themselves out through deadly intrigues and civil warfare.

Remove ads