• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humans, Elves, Halflings & FC.

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
I was discussing the RotK and iconic roles in D&D with my group, and we came up with the following ideas. Comments would be welcome.

Humans no longer have Favoured Class: Any. Instead, they receive Favoured Class: Barbarian. The rationale is that in much of Fantasy Literature, and even in our own real-world history, Human Cultures are considered such by other cultures.

Halflings get FC: Any. As in RotK, those little buggers can do just about anything they put their minds to.

And elves would go to FC: Ranger. It just seemed right for no definable reason we could come up with.

To make Humans more viable and versitile, they scale up one die for HP in any class. A Human Barbarian would thus roll a D20 for HP, whereas a human Wizard would roll a d6.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Favored Class always seemed like a flavor thing more then balance, so I doubt you'd have much of a problem with it. And it does seem your choices make good sense.

Ferret

Explorer
Ultimatley your choice, as Crothian said flavour. But Humans can do what they want, look at all of rohan, minas tirith etc. And elves can look at legolas, and gladriel and Elrond. Ranger, cleric ,wizard.

If you look at it like that anyone can do anything. What do they do most? Humans fight, elves prance, and halflings laze about. Make your own descisions.

Stalker0

Legend
AS the other's have said... changing fc doesn't change balance that much. Which means giving humans a bump on their HD is overbalanced. A person having a d20 for hp is A LOT. Just leaving the HD the way it is.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
d12 should advance to d14 (easy if you have a computer to roll dice), or d12+1 (if you must use dice).

-- N

I don't see any problem with Humans as any, Elves as wizards, and Halflings as rogues. I always thought Gnomes should have the Expert FC, though. I don't think there was ever a Gnome bard in the history of Dungeons and Dragons prior to 3.5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads