• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humans living in the Feywild?

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
I'm developing a group of islands for my 4e campaign that exist in the Feywild but worldfall to the Thunder Sea just in time for my players to explore them. I have an Eladrin community ready but wanted another PC race to dwell there, and humans seem the best fit for what I have in mind.

How would dwelling in the Feywild for generations change these humans? I'm looking for fluff suggestions mostly, but some crunch ideas would be welcome.

-Z

Last edited:

Korror

First Post
I have a human town in the feywild in my game that you might steal an idea or two from. The PCs wandered into small idealic hamlet where everyone seemed slightly off. The accents of the towns people were difficult to place and occasionally they mixed in archaic words that the PCs hadn't heard of. Unlike the rest of the towns in the area, there were no defenses against the orcs and goblins that plagued the area. There were no walls and the townsfolk did not seem warlike at all. The trifling mayor was kind and considerate but insisted that the PCs leave as soon as possible.

The town, as the PCs discovered, was current to the era of *insert ancient empire here* and survived through a unique means of defense. Whenever danger threatened the town, the mayor simply moved the town forward in time. A month or two was sufficient to deter the easily distracted orcs but sometimes years were needed to avoid the consequences of major disasters. Of course, the PCs arrival coincided with a major threat to the town so they had to deal with it quickly or find themselves on a 1-way time trip.
Think Lorna Doon with D&D flavor.

Oni

First Post
I think any group of humans trapped in the Feywild for a long time would become very insular and distrusting of anyone they didn't know. Prone to witchhunt type activity and suspicion even amoung their own. Tied to their villages for fear of what happens to those that venture far from their home. Magnify the reaction to the big dark scary wood supposedly inhabited by fey creatures that might wisk you away or curse your a 100x and I think you'll have it.

capn_frank

First Post
I have a human town in the feywild in my game that you might steal an idea or two from. The PCs wandered into small idealic hamlet where everyone seemed slightly off. The accents of the towns people were difficult to place and occasionally they mixed in archaic words that the PCs hadn't heard of. Unlike the rest of the towns in the area, there were no defenses against the orcs and goblins that plagued the area. There were no walls and the townsfolk did not seem warlike at all. The trifling mayor was kind and considerate but insisted that the PCs leave as soon as possible.

The town, as the PCs discovered, was current to the era of *insert ancient empire here* and survived through a unique means of defense. Whenever danger threatened the town, the mayor simply moved the town forward in time. A month or two was sufficient to deter the easily distracted orcs but sometimes years were needed to avoid the consequences of major disasters. Of course, the PCs arrival coincided with a major threat to the town so they had to deal with it quickly or find themselves on a 1-way time trip.
Think Lorna Doon with D&D flavor.

Korror, I love this idea and am borrowing it for my campaign.
However you are thinking of (Brigadoon) and not (Lorna Doone)
:)

I thought about how a Worldfall could affect a siege. A city "falling" directly into a siege or out. The enemies trying to find their own way to the Feywild or the Normal World, or trying to catch and hold the city in one plane via magical means.

---

For humans on the Feywild, I think one change might be personality. The Feywild is the bright mirror of the world. Every color is more intense, and so is every emotion.
How would humans change in such an enviroment? Would they embrace it, and you might see any quarrel in the tavern get into a brawl that seems to follow some "rules" to avoid real harm? People falling in love easily and intensively, but ending their relationship as fast as they got into it, with no regrets?
Or would they try to fight it, and would focus on meditation and maybe even drugs to calm their minds?

I think the Eladrin go already the "calm and completitive" route, so I think the humans should be "wilder". They just use some subtle rules to ensure that it doesn't harm them, physically or emotionally. I suppose a lot would also spend time to craft art objects or play music, to express their feelings. (Might be the only way for anyone getting into a depressed mode to avoid suicide). What they might lack is focus. They can't do anything for long, since something new comes to their mind and it demands more attention. They work different jobs and while what they do, they do good, they don't do it for long, so Eladrin rely on them only as temporary workers.

Last edited:

Kinneus

Explorer
The Feywild is a font of wild magic, right? Maybe the human civilization has grown so accustomed to magic that they're basically unable to live without it. Maybe their primary means of transportation is flight or teleportation. Maybe they designed their town like this, so now they have things like buildings without doors or bridges that are nothing more than a piece of rope stretched from one side to the other, making it impossible or difficult for the outsiders to get around. Maybe the inhabitants enjoy impressive illusory displays for entertainment. Maybe they're addicted to certain magical effects or magical drugs, and maybe the dealers foist these products on newcomers in an effort to get them to stay and generate more income for them.
Maybe the idea of a magic-poor individual is difficult for them to understand. Maybe they'll pity, mock or fear the adventurers because of these quality.

Sordath

Explorer
I can see all sorts of races adapting well to the feywild.

What I'm not sure about is why an Eladrin would choose to leave the feywild and head to the human world!

From an Eladrin point of view it's bleaker, darker, tastes and smells are muted, more boring.

Maybe because it's safer?

Remove ads