• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humans - the missing monster entry for the MM

ElectricDragon

Explorer
I notice that the Swim skill automatically assumes that the light shield is loosed. But wouldn't the penalty still apply for the first move action in the first round of swimming?

Ciao
Dave

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Reviewing the math on skills

ElectricDragon said:
I notice that the Swim skill automatically assumes that the light shield is loosed. But wouldn't the penalty still apply for the first move action in the first round of swimming?

Ciao
Dave

Well a free action to drop the shield can be done to reduce the penalty. That's what I'd allow as a DM.

Actually I may have made a wee math error anyways - let's check...

These skills are all class skills for the Warrior, we'll apply the stat modifier first:
Climb (Str) +1
Handle Animal (Cha) -1
Intimidate (Cha) -1
Jump (Str) +1
Ride (Dex) +0
Swim (Str) +1

Then apply the armor check penalty (-2 for chain shirt plus -1 for light shield gives us a -3):
Climb +1 -2 (light shield not counted since two hands are required to climb; so it's strapped on back or dropped or ?) = -1
Handle Animal -1 +0 (n/a) = -1
Intimidate -1 +0 (n/a) = -1
Jump +1 -3 (yes) = -2
Ride +0 +0 (n/a) = +0
Swim +1 -6 (double armor check penalty for this skill, 2 x -3) = -5

Finally allocate skill points; a Human Warrior at 1st level with an Int of 10 gets 12 (i.e. (2 + 0) x 4 + 4) skill points:
Climb +1 -2 +2 = +1
Handle Animal -1 +0 +1 = +0
Intimidate -1 +0 +1 = +0
Jump +1 -3 +3 = +1
Ride +0 +0 +2 = +2
Swim +1 -6 +3 = -2

Thus skills should be: Climb +1, Handle Animal +0, Intimidate +0, Jump +1, Ride +2, Swim -2.

So Swim should have a -2 total modifier, or, assuming the light shield is dropped (loose the -1 doubled) as a free action (just before one starts swimming), a +0. The average of -2 and +0 is -1. A useful "fudging" for simplicity. ;) I think at the time I calculated the stats I assumed that an NPC Warrior had a 50-50 chance of dropping his shield or keeping it while trying to swim. The average neatly avoids the bother for the DM - especially with a group of Warriors (e.g: nasty guardsmen pushed off of a bridge into a river by the PC heros :D) - unless the DM requires otherwise. We're talking a very small "error" here. I think we're okay :)

Tangental comment: DM's fiat is a -2/+2 change to a DC for the situation, and/or -2/+2 circumstance penalty/bonus for the PC/NPC. As a DM I don't worry about any error that may appear which is <= DM's fiat. But I do review my math now and then to keep my errors to a minimum, otherwise gaffs could compound and skew the dice rolling aspect of the game which would be neither fair nor enjoyable for the players or myself. YMMV :cool:

Last edited:

KooriSakura

First Post
OMG! you are an absolute life-saver!!! How did you know I needed an easy human stat chart??? ::bows down and worships:: You rock WinterThorn!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads