• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hunters Quarry clarification

kristov

Explorer
Ok, I am confused about the Rangers Hunter's Quarry ability:

1) Does it "Add damage" to an attack you make?
2) Is it an auto hit ability (no to hit roll, no save, nothing)?
3) Does it have to be applied against the opponent your attacking with your other shots/strikes in the round or can it be applied to one target while your shooting at a totally different target?

I think the parts where it says "you deal extra damage" and "you decide which attack to add the extra damage to" are why I am confused at what it is saying.

---------------------------------

Hunter’s Quarry
Once per turn as a minor action, you can designate the
enemy nearest to you as your quarry.
Once per round, you deal extra damage to your
quarry. The extra damage is based on your level. If
you can make multiple attacks in a round, you decide
which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the
attacks are rolled.
The hunter’s quarry effect remains active until the
end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or
until you designate a different target as your quarry.
You can designate one enemy as your quarry at a
time.

-------------------------------------

Thanks,

Kristov

Ziana

First Post
1 Yes. Each round, you add the bonus damage to one attack performed on a quarry. If you have multiple quarries, you choose which attack you performed that you add the damage to.

2 It's simply additional damage to another attack that hit. You do need to hit the quarry for the damage to occur.

3. No, see 1. It must be your designated quarry (or one of them, if you can have multiple), and you must hit it that round.

fba827

Adventurer
To add slightly (although I am mostly repeating what Ziana already said) ...
Basically, it's additional damage to another attack.

Step 1: Find your nearest enemy that you can see (note this is a slight update in wording based on errata that it is the nearest you can see), this enemy is now your Quarry
Step 2: Make your attacks/powers
Step 3: One attack/power of yours that hits the quarry this round gets additional Hunter's Quarry damage
The quarry remains your quarry until you designate a new one, until it dies, etc. So, in theory, even if you miss with your attack/power, you might still get your extra damage in with an Opportunity Attack should it provoke one from you and you hadn't yet done your Quarry damage for that round.

The whole 'decide which attack' statement is regarding the fact that you could potentially have more than one attack against the quarry depending on the power you used (for instance, twin strike - i think that's what it's called, Ranger attack 1 At Will power), and the Hunter's Quarry damage applies only once per round against that target so you'd have to pick which of your two attack it applies to (i.e. you can pick after the rolls in case one hits and one misses).

kristov

Explorer
Ok - just to make sure im clear - you can ONLY designate the nearest enemy to the hunter as the quarry right?

So if he hunter doesnt attack/hit the nearest target - then no extra hunters quarry damage would take effect?

-Kristov

Shabe

First Post
I don't think from reading the Hunter's Quarry description that it needs to hit, if your attack did damage on a miss like a Ranger/Fighter with reaping strike, i'd say you could apply the extra damage.
Or say you took cleave, you Hunter's Quarry the big bad, and hit the minion and cleave into the big bad for str + hunters quarry.

It says once per round you deal extra damage, meaning if you damage a quarried creature you can add quarry damage, bit bizzare but as written.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Think of it like this.

The ranger can 'mark' the foe closest to him as his prey, i.e. concentrate/aim on that foe, and if he attacks his prey, he will cause extra damage on a successful attack.

It's kinda like the old Favored Enemy (if you are not new to D&D), just a bit more flexible.

The 'closest' part is only to prevent the ability from being too powerful, adding extra damage against basically every target the ranger chooses to attack.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads