• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hunting yields

Macleod

First Post
I'm currently preparing a campaign in a frozen world where food is scarce, and bone/fur is used for trade.

Is there a guide as to what ammounts(percentages) of meat and bone an animal would yield?

How much is 1 lb of bone worth in gp?

Any other body parts useful for trading and their gp values?

I don't need the specific hunting rules, I've already got that covered.

Thanks in advance.

Nyeshet

First Post
Beastiary: Predators, by Betabunny publishing if I recall correctly, offered both amounts of meat and gp for the carcass or captured live animal.

------
Okay, I've looked up my copy of it. It gives the cost of a carcass - both the meat and some trophy pieces (teeth and paws for a black bear, for example), as well as the cost of captured adult and young for training. Also, it gives the amount of meat from a carcass and its typical selling price. It does not offer the amount of bone, but if you check their calculations, they take the average of the maximum and minimum weight of the creature and divide by two: ([(max+min) /2] /2). Thus, they presume that half the weight of any creature is meat - the rest is bones, misc organs, fat, and pelt. However, while it does not give the weight of pelts (and, for whales, oil from fat / blubber), it does give the worth of such in gp/sp/cp.

You should be aware, however, that it re-stats the beasts to make them more realistic and challenging than how they are presented in typical monster manuals. Also, Beastiary: Predators was made for 3.5e, so you may need to convert the stats if you intend to use them.

You can find it here at RPGNow

and here at DrivethruRPG.

In general, the cost of bone will not be fixed as the uses to which it can be put will vary by the size and source of the bone. Mammoth ribs might be used to hold up the sides of a tent, while claws or teeth might be used as decoration or trophies that prove one's prowess in hunting / battle. Smaller pieces might be carved into fetishes or totems - or into whistles or flutes or even tent pegs. Larger pieces could be used as clubs, tent poles, and so forth. Hide could be used for clothing or capes or shoes, leather-work such as backpacks or tents, or even parchment for scrolls. Quality of meat can vary greatly by the animal, and while some animals produce more meat, the meat is not always as edible (due to scent, toughness, etc). Sometimes it may need to be processed a certain way (smoking, long stewing, etc) before it can be sold.

Don't forget also that some magic users might want some of the parts for material components. You could trade out gems for rare and difficult to obtain parts - like the heart of an adult dragon or the liver of a some other creature. Then there is the value of trophies. A tribe having some type of trouble may need the head of some rare creature to use in a divine ritual to end the curse or other trouble affecting their people.

Last edited:

Remove ads