• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hurl ideas for details about my new character at me!

Conaill

First Post
For those of you who haven't seen them yet, here's some portraits from WotC's "Unlikely PCs" collection, just to get the collective creative juices flowing:

200102_274_7.jpg
200102_274_10.jpg

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
By all means....

.... play up the urbane and gentlemanly. You want depth? Go for satire.

The English class system, which gave birth to most people's idea of "gentlemanly behavior" was as ruthless and barbaric a culture as they come. Less direct than a tribal culture, but the same "only the strong survive" ethos.

Their savagery would come out at aristocratic dinner parties, trading witticisms and damning praise.

A Tarzan in reverse, if you will.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
I'd start with the idea of a gentleman highwayman... long black overcoat, silver handled rapier, big floppy hat ;)

When his orcish buddies were looting and pillaging merchant caravans, he would protect the travellers, offering to (ahem) ransom them back to their families. With a rough exterior but silver tongue and a romantic's heart, he soon left his bandit ways and joined up with some adventurers instead!

Balsamic Dragon

VoodooGroves

First Post
Sock puppets

If you want to weird out your group with a half-orc bard, I have two words for you: sock puppets.

(wiping tears from my eyes)

That will certainly wierd them out.

You could also be a clown. Clowns can be freakish scary. This isn't a soon-to-be-villain though....

I'm like the bluesy approach - the common man singer. Frankly, you could also go folk "Aint been no rain. Aint been no crops. Aint been no work. Aint been no food." etc. like a mutated Bob Dylan.

Neowolf

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:
He believes no one can be happy unless they are in love- so he is constantly attempting to find love for the rest of the party. Perhaps to the point where he will pull a Cyrano, and write prose to someone and signing it in the name of the party member.

ROFL! :D

rounser

First Post
You've misinterpreted my intentions.
I apologise, Dr. Midnight - although it was mostly meant in jest. I think I'm a bit annoyed with the racial stereotypes and reverse-racial-stereotypes that people fall into so consistently with their PCs, and, resultingly, I should probably go soak my head.

That said, it was a lead in to the idea of busting lutes over monster's heads, which is a far more personally fulfilling and "zen"-like half-orc bard stereotype, IMO, if you must have one. ;)

Remove ads