• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Character Questions

Cundiff

First Post
My buddies and I are starting a new campaign, and I was looking at making a hybrid character but I am confused on how some of the hybrid options will work.

I would like to make a human two-weapon fighter/ranger hybrid who is an absolute beast in combat but alternately stupid in non-combat (his back story is that he is pretty much feral and was raised by a goblin tribe; thus he can barely read and write, but give him any weapon and he can take on an army).

If I understand the hybrid rules well enough, I should start off with the following:
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee and ranged, Military melee and ranged
Bonus to defenses: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex (I choose reflex for the ranger side)
HP: 13 at first level, 5 per level
Healing Surges per day: 7 plus constitution modifier

Class Features:
Ranger - Hunter's Quarry (but only ranger attack powers)
Fighter - Combat Challenge (but only marks with fighter powers)

Do I have that right so far?

Also, I really am having a hard time understanding how exactly the Hybrid Talent feats work. There are two in particular that I want to make sure I fully understand before presenting to my DM: the Ranger Two-Blade Fighting Style, and the Fighter Tempest Technique.

According to the 3rd Player's Handbook on page 148, the Ranger Two-Blade Fighting Style says:
"Two-Blade Fighting Style: This class feature functions exactly as the ranger class feature (Player's Handbook, page 104)."

To which the 1st Player's Handbook states on page 104:
"Two-Blade Fighting Style: Because of your focus on two-weapon melee attacks, you can wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an off-hand weapon....
In addition, you gain Toughness as a bonus feat."

So if I took this Hybrid Talent feat, then would it make any one-handed weapon I held in my off hand be an off-hand weapon? I know it sounds confusing, but it comes into play if I take another Hybrid Talent feat described below. Also, would I still get the Toughness feat?

Then, if I wanted to also get the Tempest Technique with another Hybrid Talent feat, I would get the following (based on page 144 of Player's Handbook 3):
"Tempest Technique: This class feature functions exactly as the fighter class feature (Martial Power, page 7).

Martial Power, page 7:
"Tempest Technique: When you wield two melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with weapons that have the off-hand property.
You gain Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.
When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons. This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have the off-hand property."

First off, again like Toughness, would I also get the Two-Weapon Defense feat?

Most important though, would the Ranger Two-Weapon Fighting grant the off-hand bonus to a non off-hand weapon?

Cundiff

First Post
Oh, and I really want to try out the at-will attack combo of Throw and Stab (Ranger, MP 2) with Threatening Rush (Fighter, MP 2), assuming of course I have the Quick Draw feat. So that I can use both Hunter's Quarry and the Combat Challenge in one round.

Rampant

First Post
um you do realize that you don't actually get the damage bonus with off-hand weapons unless they have the off hand property, I mean even if the DM is nice and lets you get away with it for the off-hand weapon why bother when two shortswords or something will give you the damage boost on both weapons?

Spatula

Explorer
Also, I really am having a hard time understanding how exactly the Hybrid Talent feats work. There are two in particular that I want to make sure I fully understand before presenting to my DM: the Ranger Two-Blade Fighting Style, and the Fighter Tempest Technique.

According to the 3rd Player's Handbook on page 148, the Ranger Two-Blade Fighting Style says:
"Two-Blade Fighting Style: This class feature functions exactly as the ranger class feature (Player's Handbook, page 104)."

To which the 1st Player's Handbook states on page 104:
"Two-Blade Fighting Style: Because of your focus on two-weapon melee attacks, you can wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an off-hand weapon....
In addition, you gain Toughness as a bonus feat."

So if I took this Hybrid Talent feat, then would it make any one-handed weapon I held in my off hand be an off-hand weapon? I know it sounds confusing, but it comes into play if I take another Hybrid Talent feat described below. Also, would I still get the Toughness feat?
Not quite, and yes you get Toughness.

Normally you can only wield a weapon with the off-hand property in your off-hand. The ranger feature allows you to wield a one-handed weapon in your off-hand, instead, like a longsword or a war axe. It doesn't actually make the weapon an off-hand weapon, though. It just allows you to treat it as one for the purposes of equipping it in your off-hand.

Then, if I wanted to also get the Tempest Technique with another Hybrid Talent feat,
Not sure if you're aware, but you can only take 1 hybrid talent feat, unless you hit 11th level and go for the hybrid paragon path (which gives you a second hybrid talent).

I would get the following (based on page 144 of Player's Handbook 3):
"Tempest Technique: This class feature functions exactly as the fighter class feature (Martial Power, page 7).

Martial Power, page 7:
"Tempest Technique: When you wield two melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with weapons that have the off-hand property.
You gain Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.
When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons. This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have the off-hand property."

First off, again like Toughness, would I also get the Two-Weapon Defense feat?

Most important though, would the Ranger Two-Weapon Fighting grant the off-hand bonus to a non off-hand weapon?
Yes, you would get TWD. No, the ranger TWF feature doesn't give the off-hand property to the weapon.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Oh, and I really want to try out the at-will attack combo of Throw and Stab (Ranger, MP 2) with Threatening Rush (Fighter, MP 2), assuming of course I have the Quick Draw feat. So that I can use both Hunter's Quarry and the Combat Challenge in one round.
That doesn't work. You might be looking at a pre-errata version of Throw and Stab that says make a charge attack. The current wording is "Effect: You move up to your speed and make a melee basic attack against a creature other than the target."

pemerton

Legend
Just a post to endorse both of [MENTION=2198]Spatula[/MENTION]'s replies.

That is:

* Can't take Hybrid Talent twice except via Hybrid paragon path;

* TWF doesn't actually grant the off-hand property;

* Throw and Stab has been errata-ed to remove the charge and replace it with a move + melee basic attack;

* Hybrid Talent to take TWF or Tempest will give you the appropriate "embedded" feat (Toughness or TWD).

Cundiff

First Post
Hmm, I guess our books must be old, because yeah, the Throw and Stab says its effect grants a charge. Damn.

I also didn't even think about not being able to take Hybrid Talent more than once (save giving up a paragon path)...

Hybrid characters seem like they're really weakened then, if you can't gain access to multiple talents (again, save giving up a paragon path). Looks like the better option for my guy would be to do a full ranger, but get a multiclass feat like Battle Awareness or something.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

Dan'L

First Post
Looks like the better option for my guy would be to do a full ranger, but get a multiclass feat like Battle Awareness or something.

Depending on what you want your end-product to look like, also consider going with full fighter with the Two-Blade Warrior multiclass feat.

You won't get the free toughness feat, but you'll have fighter-level defenses and HP, and you can use the 1-handed weapon talent to gain some nice accuracy for your bigger [W] die.

I made a PC this way and ended up with a nice defender/striker.

-Dan'L

Spatula

Explorer
Another option is a hybrid barbarian / fighter. The whirling slayer barbarian build (from Primal Power) is a dual-wielder that uses Strength & Dexterity. The difference between barbarian and ranger here is that I believe barbarians get some powers that mark their target, which could then trigger Combat Challenge. I could be mis-remembering though.

EDIT: A good example is Savage Growl (utility 2, primal power). It marks a target AND gives you +1d8 dmg against it while the mark lasts. Although the target gets +1d8 dmg vs you as well, which maybe gives it the incentive to not break the mark...

Last edited:

SensoryThought

First Post
I like the idea of hybrids as they counter one of the oft complaints about 4e, which is a lack of ability to make unique and customized characters. The fact they are reduced in overall power compared to non-hybrids is good, else everyone would play them. I see it as a trade off for versatility and your choice to be an extra special snowflake.

One of my players who just suffered character death is starting a new hybrid halfling ranger-rogue who can be at home in urban and wilderness environments.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads