• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Fighter/Paladin and marks

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
So I am writing up a Fighter | Paladin for LFR play, and I have a question about marking. I thought I understood things pretty well, but as I've been reading the different marking powers I have, I'm not so sure.

Here's my issue. I have three methods to mark a creature: hit with a fighter power, use divine challenge and use a power which causes a divine sanction.

Now if I use a fighter power, I obviously can't invoke my divine challenge or sanction, but in the reverse situation, if I divine challenge or sanction a target, could I potentially use my fighter combat challenge?

My initial thought was "absolutely not," and I think that's RAI, but then as I read on, I see that both the challenge and sanction mention that they mark the target. Combat challenge applies to targets you've marked, so I think it might be possible.

I think the problem is that the fighter's mark is simply called a mark, while both paladin powers have unique identifiers, but also say they mark. If the fighter had an ability called "smackdown" that marked the target, and then their combat challenge said "any adjacent opponent you've applied you smackdown to who shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include you," it would be obvious.

As I'm thinking about this, it sounds more than a little cheezy, but is there an accepted rule that would keep this from happening?

So too cheezy? Or a ruling specifically against this? What do you think?

--Steve

Shin Okada

Explorer
Combat Challenge says,
In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.

It says only "a marked enemy" and does not specify the kind of mark. So, if you have marked the enemy in some way, whatever method you have used to mark it, you can make a melee basic attack granted by Combat Challenge class feature.

Actually, even for a pure fighter, Combat Challenge class feature is not the only source of marking. For example, with Lasting Threat power (Fighter Attack 1 from Martial Power), the target is marked until the end of the encounter or until you are knocked unconscious.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Excellent!

One related question: the divine challenge from the paladin has reduced effectiveness: less damage and takes a immediate reaction to use. I haven't seen a similar modification to divine sanction. Should I do the full damage with it?

Aulirophile

First Post
Excellent!

One related question: the divine challenge from the paladin has reduced effectiveness: less damage and takes a immediate reaction to use. I haven't seen a similar modification to divine sanction. Should I do the full damage with it?
Yeah, Divine Sanction has its own rule. Worth noting Fighter's aren't unique in regards to the hybrid marking thing, Wardens can also utilize any Mark.

DIVINE SANCTION
Many new paladin powers and some of the new feats in this book subject a target to your divine sanction. Being subject to it means the target is marked by you for a duration specified in the description of the power or feat. Unless otherwise noted, the mark ends before the specified duration if someone else marks the target.
Until the mark ends, the target takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time each round it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target. The damage increases to 6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level and 9 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
Divine sanction is meant to complement divine challenge. You can use divine challenge to mark one creature and use divine sanction to mark others. Divine sanction has fewer restrictions than divine challenge so that you can easily use the two in concert.

Remove ads