• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid System Question or Opinion.

ss2020

First Post
Hey,

I am Geni. I am involved in the developelment of a new game system. We are using a hybrid d20 mechanic and we are thinking of converting it from the tradtional d20 to using 2d10.

What is your opinion?

Geni
:blush:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
We used it for about a year in one of my games. There's a strange effect that comes from using 2d10: easy fights are much easier, and hard fights are much harder. I ended up scrapping it because I didn't enjoy how much it narrowed the band of useable CRs.
-blarg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We are using a hybrid d20 mechanic and we are thinking of converting it from the tradtional d20 to using 2d10.

What is your opinion?

The effect there is fairly simple - 1d20 gives you a flat distribution, 2d10 gives you a distribution peaked in the middle. The end result is that getting a "middle" result on the die is much more likely on 2d10 - average results are common, really good or really bad results are far less common.

This can be good is you want "middle of the road" to be stressed, and major success much harder to get, much more rare than in the 1d20 case.

Does this work? Yes - but the result is that the heroes don't excel often. This'll change the overall feel of the game, and the rest of the design must be built to accomodate the difference.

ss2020

First Post
We used it for about a year in one of my games. There's a strange effect that comes from using 2d10: easy fights are much easier, and hard fights are much harder. I ended up scrapping it because I didn't enjoy how much it narrowed the band of useable CRs.
-blarg

Thanks, We won't be using the broken CR system thank the gods. We have a point system that will be much more accurate. That is a good observation though and I will bring it up to the others this week. Thanks.

Geni,

Hope to here more from others?

RFisher

Explorer
I like 2d10 better than 1d20, but I like something with more of a curve even better.

Mid20: Roll 3d20 and drop the the high die and low die. (Use the middle result.)

4d6: Read sixes as zeros.

3d6: From Unearthed Arcana.

Another thing I’ve tried (with both GURPS and D&D) is d20 for combat and 3d6 for skill checks.

3d6: From Unearthed Arcana.
This. I was reading this in Unearthed Arcana just last night.

I'm not too sure that this is ideal though. I think you have to make several changes elsewhere otherwise things become too predictable. You need to look at extreme successes and failures having a greater impact than what they would for a straight d20 roll. If your big 18 (6,6,6) comes up, then it has to really count. Buffs have a greater impact than otherwise is the other big factor.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Buffs have a greater impact than otherwise is the other big factor.
Buffs and "Debuffs". In d20, a modifier x changes the success rate by x * 5 %. In a 2d10 or 3d6 system, the effect depends on where along the probability line you already are. A +1 if you normally need a 5 to roll is a lot less valuable then a +1 if you normally need a 11, and so on.

Generally, I think stacking in 3d6/2d10 systems should not be made linear, as the probability distribution isn't, either. But the entire d20 system is based on these linear assumptions.

RFisher

Explorer
I think you have to make several changes elsewhere otherwise things become too predictable.

For me, that’s the whole idea. I want things to be much more predictable, though without tossing the dice altogether.

You have to get the feel for setting DCs. Something you might have set higher on a d20 should maybe be lower for 3d6.

ss2020

First Post
2d10

Hi all,

I like what you all have had to say, thanks.

If you have any other thoughts or ideas on the subject I would be glad to hear more.
The adjustments will be minor as we want people to rely more on their character's abilities then their dice.

We are also choosing to let this game be about your imagination not ours. So our flavor text is only to help understand the idea of a rule not to say that if you use a rule it always happens that way. Any opionions on this idea?

Geni
:angel:

ss2020

First Post
Would you play

So, I guess My next question is would a 2d10 system (2-20) give you pause to play or buy over a d20 product?

Geni,
:hmm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads