• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hybrid type Multiclassing in 5e?

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Sorry if it's been addressed elsewhere.

I haven't had the opportunity to download the new packet yet, but I was wondering if there were any provision for 1e style multiclassing (sort of like 4e hybrid) in the latest release?

My favorite character back in the day was a multiclass fighter/thief in 1e. Any way to recreate a character like that? I tried to do it in 3e but didn't like way it turned out. Having to alternate levels didn't seem to work well,

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thalionalfirin;6187425My favorite character back in the day was a multiclass fighter/thief in 1e. Any way to recreate a character like that? I tried to do it in 3e but didn't like way it turned out. Having to alternate levels didn't seem to work well said:
Yes, a Fighter/Thief is perfectly doable in D&D Next, and a pretty decent combination. You'd have to increase a level in fighter, then a level of thief, then a level in fighter, then thief, etc. as you gain levels. But all your proficiencies would advance at the same rate as a single-class character.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
While the rules don't provide the option, you could make a rule where you get class features from both classes at the same time, but only ever other level. (hit points and the like would increase every level, though).

Remove ads