Hydra - snake body or dinosaur body?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
As stories are told and retold, history is remembered in different ways.

So, it might be neat to have the different histories represented in D&D--a variety of hydras. Some more serpentine, some more draconic. And when bards get together to tell stories, it gets more confusing (even with wings), and no one can agree exactly what a hydra looks like.

Drowbane

First Post
I'm a fan of all types of Hydra.

I've run them as serpentine, draconic, and as the dinosaur-thing as depicted by Lockwood.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I give my aquatic hydras serpentine bodies, my land 'hydra' get draconic bodies.

You are much more likely to encounter land 'hydras' (not their actual name, just what people call them) - they are much more aggressive. The typical D&D hydra.

Aquatic hydra are more dangerous, less aggressive, but poison the water around them. These are also the ones that can regenerate their heads. Fortunately they are sluggish, and tend to become more so when the temperature drops. The bodies are closer to those of eels than those of snakes, and more than a tad slimy. Their eyes are covered by cataracts, but they benefit from blindsight.

The Auld Grump

Monstrosity

First Post
I tend to make any mythical creature a lot more physically imposing than they should be(according to the rules). I've always used the legged version, but my players are a lot more concerned about being swallowed whole than kicked.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Serpent Hydras

Possibilities: pick a snake of some sort. Add the Multiheaded Lernean Creature template from Savage Species. Have fun.

For a God of War hydra pick a sea dragon of some sort (BIG one)

Nagahydras are serpentine but with humanoid heads (Serpent Kingdoms)

A snaky Medusa is harder to construct: maybe break the normal rule that says Tauric creatures must have legs, and make a tauric dire snake/Medusa?

Klaus

First Post
When I illustrated the Greek Hydra for Fiery Dragon's "Greek Counters of DOOM!", a tie-in to Sean K Reynold's New Argonauts, I did a serpentine hydra.

Remove ads