• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hypervelocity bards (WAS Fixing the bard's action economy (quick suggestion))

Just commenting on the fact that this thread has stretched this far on people either agreeing with you or disagreeing with you, and basically no headway has been made towards anything. It happens, but this seems like an especially odd case to me, for some reason. Maybe because the root of the problem is so easy to change on a case-by-case basis that it does not seem like an actual problem, so it seems almost like the thread is more of a news letter of your table where the only goal is to tell us you are doing this thing.

No criticism meant by the above, btw. Maybe I am just having an odd day, but this stuck in my head in a weird way.

Originally it was intended as a bit of a casual game-design workshopping to see if anyone else had any better ideas or could think of problems with this one (e.g. "it creates this horrible imbalance because Bards really need to be casting Fear constantly to contribute, and this would force them to choose"); but it turns out that most of the people who responded to this thread are basically fine with the status quo, so not much discussion ever happened.

So yeah, this thread was a nothingburger. Perhaps it's the wrong venue for these types of discussions.

Lanliss

Explorer
Originally it was intended as a bit of a casual game-design workshopping to see if anyone else had any better ideas or could think of problems with this one (e.g. "it creates this horrible imbalance because Bards really need to be casting Fear constantly to contribute, and this would force them to choose"); but it turns out that most of the people who responded to this thread are basically fine with the status quo, so not much discussion ever happened.

So yeah, this thread was a nothingburger. Perhaps it's the wrong venue for these types of discussions.

Maybe. I have noticed that a large number of EN world posters are mechanics focused, or dead set on maintaining status quo. It has gotten to the point where most homebrew threads result in at least one response of "But why would you change it. It is fine.", or "Why do that? use this multiclass instead". Maybe if threads like this had some sort of "Discussion only, approach philosophically" tag.

Maybe. I have noticed that a large number of EN world posters are mechanics focused, or dead set on maintaining status quo. It has gotten to the point where most homebrew threads result in at least one response of "But why would you change it. It is fine.", or "Why do that? use this multiclass instead". Maybe if threads like this had some sort of "Discussion only, approach philosophically" tag.

I tend to believe that is because people are afraid that people are lobbying WotC for changes to the base game, and they feel that if they don't speak up, they are silently assenting to unacceptable changes. On the one hand, this is wrongheaded because WotC doesn't care what happens on these forums; on the other hand, there really ARE people who start threads trying to "build support" for ideas that they can then (somehow) to WotC.

On the gripping hand, this is the Internet, and some people just go around looking for someone to argue with so they can get their dopamine kick for the day. LOL.

Anyway, I probably did choose the wrong venue--I would have gotten more mileage out of discussing this idea in person with friends instead of putting it on Enworld. Internet/Easy != most effective end result.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
They should have state a "willing ally" as in Bening Transposition.
I remind you that it is playtest material, and the survey is actually online.

It does say that. Every power in the Mantle of Command that targets an ally gives the ally the option to use the bonus or not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads