• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hypothetical 5E Future Release Schedule

Ichneumon

First Post
Going by recent news, there'll be six storylines planned from after 'Elemental Evil' through to 2018. The second one of 2015 has an 'Alice in Wonderland' influence, and there's going to be one on giants. There's a chance of a Spelljammer storyline and I'd be very surprised if a Ravenloft one wasn't on the schedule.

Here's a mad speculation. 'Alice in Wonderland' is where psionics will be introduced. Yes, it's not necessarily an Underdark illithid stomper or a Dark Sun scenario (though it still could be!), but I can see Wizards wanting to try something different for psionics. When you think about it, Lewis Carroll's logic-bending universe is basically a whimsical version of the Far Realms. Also, it makes sense, given the number of psionics fans, to bring it in as early as possible.

Anth

First Post
Here's a mad speculation. 'Alice in Wonderland' is where psionics will be introduced. Yes, it's not necessarily an Underdark illithid stomper or a Dark Sun scenario (though it still could be!), but I can see Wizards wanting to try something different for psionics. When you think about it, Lewis Carroll's logic-bending universe is basically a whimsical version of the Far Realms. Also, it makes sense, given the number of psionics fans, to bring it in as early as possible.

Sounds fun as long there is a playtest.

Here is my dream schedule: 2 storylines per year. One of these gets a "player's option"-book, so that means no more than 1 splatbook per year. In addition, I would also like a "major release" once per year, this could be a monster manual, campaign setting overview, etc. That's all I want from the RPG in terms of books. In between we get licensed products like miniatures, board games, computer games, accessories like gaming mats, electronic tools, etc. And then I hope this edition can last for at least 10 years, preferably closer to 15.

Last edited:

I really, really am beginning to get a bad feeling about this release schedule. I'm with many of the others: it's clear to me that Hasbro kept WotC on a tight leash and really wasn't expecting much out of 5e. Now that it's fairly clear it's a hit, they're scurrying around trying to figure out how best to take advantage of this once-in-a-generation opportunity.

But this idea of tying releases to adventure paths or whatever they'll end up calling it is not a good idea, methinks. Personally, I do not think setting-neutral rules--like psionics, monster books, or high-level play--should be tied to anything remotely similar to a module or an adventure. It's conflating two things unnecessarily.

We've actually seen this in D&D before. Remember Ghostwalk? Pretty interesting rules set but a half-thought-out mini-setting. For me, it was a missed opportunity. I would have much rathered simply the rules and leave the setting data out of it. Then there was also that attempt to bring Spelljammer back as a mini-setting for 3e. Again, interesting but too much setting data. To me, it wastes space and effort because how many people are likely to set a campaign in a company-owned setting? An overwhelming number of DM's I know create their own and cherry pick things from published settings they like.

I guess it feels a bit too much like Pathfinder which, for me at least, seemed more intent on milking the product line than providing options. Even with PF, though, you could find interesting nuggets and I suppose I'll have to do the same here. Still, I really, truly, honestly do not like merging adventure lines/modules with rules sets.

Mercule

Adventurer
I really, really am beginning to get a bad feeling about this release schedule. I'm with many of the others: it's clear to me that Hasbro kept WotC on a tight leash and really wasn't expecting much out of 5e. Now that it's fairly clear it's a hit, they're scurrying around trying to figure out how best to take advantage of this once-in-a-generation opportunity.

But this idea of tying releases to adventure paths or whatever they'll end up calling it is not a good idea, methinks. Personally, I do not think setting-neutral rules--like psionics, monster books, or high-level play--should be tied to anything remotely similar to a module or an adventure. It's conflating two things unnecessarily.
Agreed. The more I learn about how they're planning on handling the release schedule, what products they're going to release (and not), and how rules modules are going to be tied to adventures, the more it reinforces my opinion that 5E will have two outstanding characteristics: 1) The best darn D&D rule set, ever; 2) The absolute worst product management in a (major) RPG, ever.

As far as [MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION]' original hypothesis, it looks reasonable, to me. I'm not sure it's a huge stretch to put the pieces in place, but the timeline reflects what I was thinking.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Was the idea of tying player supplements to specific settings/APs presented in the playtest feedback? I can't remember, and I wonder if they have numbers on whether or not people like the idea in general.

I personally would prefer thematic supplements not tied to settings. For example: Psionics, Sea Adventures, Planar Travel, etc.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Yep, I think that's the general message. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a FR setting book.

I wish they'd do short adventure paths, with a guide for each. Each path could be a different setting. I'd love to play a Ravenloft AP and then a Dragonlance AP, and then an Eberron AP, and then a Planescape AP. It would be a wonderful way to introduce people to settings they've never tried, too.

A FR campaign book would be awesome, but IM still getting alot of mileage from my FR 3e book. I also expect that some of the bigger releases will coincide with GenCon, so I will plan on picking these up there.

Remove ads