I’m NOT a bad DM.

Sidekick

First Post
I’m NOT a bad DM.

So here’s the thing. I’ve seen these two ‘Bad DM’ threads and thought someone should talk about how their not a bad DM.

So here goes.

* I run my campaigns where I try to cater to everyone’s tastes: My group has 2 RPers, 1 casual/tactician and 1 power gamer/rules-lawyer. I try to ensure that every session/adventure has something for everyone.

* If I enforce something upon them, then there is always a benefit to outweigh that. For example I made them be ex-Blademarks, so I gave them al 1 rank in hide, MS & craft (trapmaking).

* I try to ensure that when the PCs try to do something cool and outlandish that, in the interests of fun’ness that it succeeds in some way.

* rather than giving the group vanilla lamerosity magic I try to personalise their items and treasure. Why have a monks belt when you can have a pair of bracers (SF motif) that do the same thing, but also give a nice little smite ability as well?

* I try to make sure that they level but not too fast… I do DM in Eberron after all, might as well enjoy those mid-levels I say.

* I encourage creativity, role-playing and of course shrewd tactics.

* Meta-gaming isn’t always a bad thing. Some types of it are, but others aren’t. This IS a mage after all.

Anyway, anyone else think that they are a good & fair DM?

Odhanan

Adventurer
I'm a good and fair DM, I think. For instance:

- I play with the other participants of the game. I'm part of the gaming group, not outside or against it.

- I try to vary the types of circumstances and adventures the players go through. I don't sit back and become complacent with my own tastes when it challenges the fun of the game.

- I love all aspects of RPGs. Miniatures/Terrain use and painting, in-depth role-playing, tactical melee, over-the-top or dark fantasy, believable drama... you name it. If someone somewhere thinks it has a place in the hobby, I'm very likely to like it.

- I welcome players coming up with their own homebrew game elements, ideas, feats, classes, races, prestige classes, equipment etc. I don't accept anything just for the sake of it, but I always explain why I think it doesn't make sense in the game or wouldn't be fun for the game. I discuss, but I know when to take a decision and stick to my guns.

- I love DMing. I love to prep for the game. I love to set-up the table. I love to run the thing, be the host and referee. I love when something challenges me and makes me better at what I do.

- I love to be surprised by the actions of the players try to roll with them whenever it's fun and cool for the game. I love it when players decide to go see what's going on beyond the edge of the map.

hexgrid

Explorer
Sidekick said:
So here’s the thing. I’ve seen these two ‘Bad DM’ threads and thought someone should talk about how their not a bad DM.

Both starters of the "Bad DM" threads were actually describing traits that they specifically don't think make them bad DMs. So in order to be a true reflection, you'd have to explain how your crappy DM skills are incorrectly perceived by others as good.

the Jester

Legend
I think I'm a pretty good dm too. I run a high-fatality game, yet I am never hurting for players- in fact, I've had a long waiting list for years!

I like to integrate personalized plot elements, stuff tailored to every class, skill, spell and race (so that the ranger gets a chance to shine every couple of games and they feel the lack of a bard every few sessions).

I like far-reaching plots based on the consequences of the pcs' actions. One of the best things about my campaign, imho, is the depth of the interactions between various plot elements.

As pcs reach high levels, I let them gain the fame and acclaim they are due- along with the powerful enemies that they have earned over the years.

Finally, I love the game. Love of the game, imnsho, is the root of both good dming and good playing (roleplaying and otherwise) in general.

Remove ads