D&D 5E I accidentally revealed all of my campaign plans and secrets to a PC.... what now?

aco175

Legend
Just pull a Scooby-Doo where they pull the mask off and there is another mast hiding the real villain. You can also swap everyone 180 and everyone is opposite. Ohh, the BBEG cast a massive opposite alignment spell on the major NPCs.

Schmoe

Adventurer
What I probably would do is just tell everyone about the mistake, explain that they are free to read it, but then let them know that I'm changing things around in some major ways so they shouldn't rely on the information in the doc.

What I think would be cooler, though, is to do two things:

1.) Find an in-game way to reveal all of the information in the doc. Maybe some high-level divinations and a strategy council of some sort that reveals what they know and what they think is "likely". Make sure they know that there is less than 100% confidence in the information.

2.) Make sure the information is not 100% correct in some interesting ways, making the outcome very different from the "likely" outcome that was presented.

jgsugden

Legend
#1: Give yourself some time to adjust. Ask the group if they are willing to do a few sessions with other PCs (run by you or others - doesn't matter) to give you time to adjust.

#2: Use the player knowledge in the revised story as a major twist. I might do this by telling the player that they are 100% free to use the information in the file as they see fit - and that it all came to their PC in a dream. Initially, they will not know where the dreams came from...

#3: Have the enemies also know that the PCs have the information. I might do this by having the source of the information be a celestial being that was trying to assist the PCs behind the scenes, but was caught. As a last effort when they knew they were going to be captured, they sent all the information they knew to the PC in a dream, but the bad guys caught them right after, interrogated them, and now know exactly what the PCs have been given.

#4: The enemy(ies) will then scramble to adjust to the player knowledge. Perhaps they discredit the PCs so that nobody believes them? Or send more information to the PC in dreams that mislead them? Make it seem like some of the information is false (and maybe it is - the celestial might not have had everything right, after all...) Or ... perhaps it was all laid out by the enemies and they tricked the celestial into sending misinformation that seems real.... but there are hints it is false...

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So long story short: I accidentally emailed a brand new player my document which contained all of my antagonist's motivations/plans/backstory and also my major campaign plot twists that would not have been revealed for another year or so most likely. The worst part is I didn't know I emailed him this document until after he warned everyone else in my game not to trust a key NPC because he's probably in cahoots with my main antagonist.

To be clear, this was 100% my own mistake. I meant to send the new player some documents that would help bring him up to speed on our campaign so far and I accidentally clicked my master file as one of the email's attachments. I even told him that anything on the files I sent him were free game for him to reveal to the party as his PC's own personal knowledge.

Question - Does the player now know this was a mistake? Because if not, I really like the idea of changing 1 key detail and letting the changes cascade from there. Make the player (and players) think that the document sent was from an unreliable narrator and that they adhere to it at their own risk. Perhaps - make the supposedly untrustworthy NPC actually be a double agent with key information for the players and wanting to help them - if the players blow him off, make sure there is a consequence for doing so.

If the player knows that this was a mistake and knows the info was intended as accurate:
- I like the idea of talking to them and having them either 1) be mum as to the future plot twists (I'd still change at least 1 major detail or more btw) or 2) play along and have a bit of a different experience than a standard PC.

Also if they knew the info was accurate then it's a bit more mean spirited that they revealed such a major detail to the rest of the group - see what was up with that!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So long story short: I accidentally emailed a brand new player my document which contained all of my antagonist's motivations/plans/backstory and also my major campaign plot twists that would not have been revealed for another year or so most likely. The worst part is I didn't know I emailed him this document until after he warned everyone else in my game not to trust a key NPC because he's probably in cahoots with my main antagonist.

To be clear, this was 100% my own mistake. I meant to send the new player some documents that would help bring him up to speed on our campaign so far and I accidentally clicked my master file as one of the email's attachments. I even told him that anything on the files I sent him were free game for him to reveal to the party as his PC's own personal knowledge.

Needless to say, I am completely demoralized. I have been planning this story for over 7 months. Our group only plays once every three weeks so they were only just now really getting into the meat of the over-arching plot. I was finally starting to feel like I could relax on the over arching plot and just focus on fleshing out my world and each individual session. Now I feel like I need to go back to the drawing board and frankly I feel like giving up.

As it stands, two of my players are mostly done with one shots they want to run just to try DM'ing out, but no one has expressed interest in taking of the DM seat for any substantial amount of time. We are all adults and most of us have families so DM'ing is a huge commitment for us. I asked my players if they were attached to the story we had going so far and they all expressed a desire not to change anything but I really don't know how I'm going to keep up the intrigue at this point.

I enjoy DM'ing, I really do. I don't want to give it up. I'm just not sure I have the time/energy/and inspiration to figure out how to fix this problem. Has anyone ever done something like this before? What did you decide to do?

Lastly, if anyone thinks this game is worth salvaging and wants to help me out on patching up the cosmic hole I blew through it last night, let me know. I'll post the story I had planned and explain what my players know and thus what details must be changed.

It's worth salvaging. Your players are still having fun. It feels like panic time right now, but this isn't as hard to fix as you might think.

First, tell the one Player you sent the plan to that: 1) he is not to share it with any of the other players, and 2) he is to not act in any way on his knowledge gained from having read that document, and 3) he is to delete that document, and 4) you are changing key things from that plan.

Next, lift out all your NPCs and motivations and such, make a list of some new ones, and then change everything up behind the scenes on the NPCs and plans.

It would help if we had specifics, but I am betting you can do this. For example, if NPC's A, B, and C are all hidden minions of Big Bad NPC Z, switch it up. Make NPC A a spy for the good guys who has infiltrated the group, and make NPC B the real big bad (Keyser Soze style), make NPC z a minion of NPC B who has been tasked with being the front-facing guy of the organization, and make NPC c just an innocent dupe.

So the PCs still can encounter all these same NPCs, but now they're completely different from the plan you sent that player.

This is of course a simple example, but with some details I bet the collective minds here at EnWorld can help you completely fix this. There are also some good tools out there which can be used to either provide new motivations and plans, or inspire you to make your own. For example, I have found Vornheim: The Complete City Kit has some great tools in there to generate some unique change-ups for my campaign plans and inspire others.

Nevvur

Explorer
I'm in the minority here, but I would reconsider trying to salvage this thing and think about heading in an entirely new direction. The suggestions given thus far are certainly viable, but I don't think you'll ever be able to fully capture the story you originally intended. You wanted mystery and intrigue, and for that kind of story I feel like the players and PCs alike need to be in the dark, and it's too late for that. If this were a more direct plot, my response would be more in line with previous posters.

Denalz

Explorer
You guys have provided some great ideas. My problem seems much smaller to me now than it did before. Thanks for that. Anyway, for those who are curious, here is the over-arching campaign that I had planned out. I'll try to condense it.

The Villain:

The main antagonist is a yet-to-be-seen vengeful god who started out as a member of a race (Armaranthine) that predates men/elves/dwarves. Originally the Armarnathine were the only creatures who could use arcana. The other races gained the trust of the Armaranthine until they were shared the secrets of magic. However, once enlightened, the mortal races turned their new found power against the Armaranthine and all but exterminated them. Morvek (by antagonist) was one of the few remaining Armaranthine. He convinced the gods that the mortal races, now enlightened with arcana, would eventually turn their strength against the gods themselves. Fearing for themselves, the gods made Morvek into a deity in his own right and blessed him with the power to keep the mortal races in check. Bent on revenge, Morvek began a reign of terror upon all mortals that showed no sign of abatement.

A party of five formed in answer to this threat (mixture of men, dwarves, and elves). After receiving blessings from a sympathetic deity, they eventually gathered the strength to push through Morvek's armies and challenge him directly. But even with all their power, they could not kill a god. Instead they banished him to a another realm using a spell that required their blood. After sacrificing themselves upon the portal alter they became known as the Quora Tal (Blood Guardians).

Skip ahead to present day and Morvek is seeking to free himself from his prison. To do so he must collect the direct descendants (first born of the first born... and so on) of the Quora Tal and sacrifice them upon the alter which originally banished him. Of course he cannot do this himself. So instead he sends minions to accomplish this task for him. So far my players have encountered one such fiend and defeated her. It was from this adventure that they discovered the existence of The Reckoner (Morvek), the Quora Tal, and they vaguely understand that The Reckoner seeks to free himself from his prison and that he must have the blood of the Quora Tal to do so. They know practically nothing of who/what Morvek is or what his plans are aside form freeing himself. My intention was to have my new player (he is a bard) reveal to the group Morvek's true name, and also the names and classes of the original Quora Tal. Oh, and he is also aware of the identity of one direct descendant (see below for more on this).

Original Future Plans

With more questions than answers, my players were on their way to the only metropolis in the continent they are playing on (it is also the arcana capital of that continent). They were hoping to gain an audience with some of the higher level mages in the Arcane Order and see what they can learn about Morvek and the Quora Tal.

Along the way (it's a two month trip to get there), they ended up rescuing a male elf in the forest who got in over his head during a hunting trip. They learn that the elf they rescued is actually the crowned prince of the country they are headed to. It was at this point that my bard was to reveal to the party the fairly common knowledge that this prince (and his father) are the only known direct descendants of the Quora Tal. Their royal line descended from the elf sorcerer who originally helped to lock up Morvek. This is where the trouble began. My new player then went on to tell my group not to trust this new NPC because it is "rumored" that he or possibly his father is an agent of Morvek himself.... That wasn't supposed to be revealed for a VERY long time. After the session was over I asked one of my particularly smart players to tell me what he thought of all the information that was inappropriately revealed and he guessed my plans to a "T".

My player guessed that the prince is likely unaware of his father's connection to Morvek and his father (the king) has probably made some deal with Morvek to sacrifice his son when the time comes in order to gain some sort of favor/power.

Ding* Ding* Ding* We have a winner! :rant:

The focus of my campaign was meant to be for my players to track down all the remaining descendants of the Quora Tal and decide how to prevent Morvek from accomplishing his goals. Gradually I would have revealed the details of Morvek's back story as well as what his likely plans/motivations are. I was hoping to make Morvek a fairly sympathetic villain and let that play out how it may. My problem now is that my player who already knows everything will not appreciate the reward of information over time. On the bright side, he didn't really reveal the back story to my players, just my plans for future plot twists.

I had wanted my players to befriend the prince and let the prince be a useful resource to them throughout the campaign when necessary. When the king eventually betrays the group by betraying his own son, I was hoping their friendship with the prince would make the event feel all the more personal. I wrote the prince to be a good man that any king would be proud of as a successor, but for some reason never seems to gain his father's approval. The dismissal would be obvious to most everyone though few understand the real reason why the prince cannot please his father; it is that his father sold his son out as a young child and therefore has never had any intentions of investing in him as an heir.

What now

After reading all your advise, I suppose my blunder isn't likely as large as it felt at the time. But as you guys can see, I'm likely going to need to work out some new intrigue as well as a big "Twist" moment as the campaign winds up for the ultimate climax. I liked this campaign idea. I'm not sure how original it is, but it was the best I could think up with my limited imaginations. My favorite part was that I could probably make it last for years due to the difficulty I imagine my players will have in just trying to find the heirs of the Quora Tal. And then of course they have to decide how to solve the ultimate problem which is thwarting Morvek for good.

I'd appreciate any input you guys have for major or minor adjustments to this story. I like to tell stories, but at this point I'd prefer to focus on world building and planning colorful sessions. I'm tired of toiling over working out the big plot points for this campaign.

If you read all this, you're a rockstar :cool:

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Step 1. Have a conversation with the player you accidentally emailed. Ask him why he didn't tell you before that you had emailed him. Ask him why he thought it was appropriate to use that knowledge to affect the game that way.

This was, in my opinion, playing in bad faith. I don't care if my players read the monster manual. I don't care if they buy and read the published adventure I am running. I do care when they use that knowledge to rob other players of interacting with the game, like in this case it robbed them of using their skills and know how to determine that the NPC was in league with the antagonist.

How this conversation will play out is likely to impact what I think Step 2 would be.

He explicitlytold the player that the files were free game to reveal as his PC's personal knowledge. As a new player coming into an existing game they may have though it was things that already happened to get them up to speed, information the DM wanted to use the new PC to introduce, or some other reason why they are being sent this in-depth knowledge.

I even told him that anything on the files I sent him were free game for him to reveal to the party as his PC's own personal knowledge.

So, let's move past this antagonistic step 1 where the DM climbs down the new player's throat for following directions. Assuming that the answer is "I did what you told me to", what's step 2?

Remove ads