• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I allow using INT for initiative bonus, thoughts?

We have adopted the system that every character and monster gets a card and each round the pile is shuffled. No stat modifiers at all.

If you have advantage on initiative or the Alert feat you get two cards and act on the first pull.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Mechanically the idea seems sound, but in terms of what stats actually mean, I'd prefer to use wisdom. Initiative is about quickly making a correct judgement based on limited information, which is more of a wisdom thing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Bottom line, if it works for your table, knock yourself out. If you're asking me personally, then I wouldn't do that because intelligence doesn't impact reaction time. In fact, in my world (software testing), the most intelligent are the slowest to react because a common problem in IT is paralysis by analysis :D I kid a bit, but just a bit.

Eggs Benedict

First Post
All good criticisms, thanks for the replies. It's difficult to work out small changes to rebalance stat bonuses because the system is meant to be simple and easy to use. I'm frustrated that INT and STR are undervalued (in my estimation), while DEX is overvalued (also IMO, of course). I'd like a solution that made INT not such an easy choice to dump, and for STR to be more competitive with DEX. As for STR, I'm thinking about maybe reintroducing a limited form of the 'Threat Range' idea of past editions. I haven't finished working on it though.

Giving the INT bonus as an option for initiative was merely my attempt at part of this issue. Boosting Wizards may indeed be the sort of unintended consequence I was hoping to avoid.

Corwin

Explorer
Giving the INT bonus as an option for initiative was merely my attempt at part of this issue. Boosting Wizards may indeed be the sort of unintended consequence I was hoping to avoid.
Which is why I suggested an average of the two stats. So [DEX+INT]/2. Sure, a wizard can still take a decent DEX. But it likely won't be as high as INT, and so will taper down their bonus a tad at least. Likewise, a rogue is further incentivized to take a decent INT. Not just to keep initiative bonus up, but now his investigate skill can be decent too. Which is good for them in general, no?

happyhermit

Adventurer
I would have to agree with others in that I don't think it particularly makes all that much real world sense for "intelligence" to determine initiative. I dare say most people who have been to a MENSA meetup would agree. I suppose the farther you remove Int from IQ the more it makes sense but it still seems like Wis would make at least as much sense. RAW Dex makes sense, as it is literally a measure of your reflexes which are undeniably important in a combat encounter.

Take a straightforward example, pistol duel at 20 paces (or wizards and wands if needed). In the moment, Int just really isn't one of the most important stats to determine who "goes first". Dex (reflexes in 5e) is obvious, Wis lets you read other people, but Int isn't really a factor.

Now, if you want to do it that's fine, and I don't think it's going to make much difference. If any concern is for "versimilitude" though then I at least prefer either-or dex-int, because otherwise you have smart characters with faster reflexes than characters with better reflexes.

Oofta

Legend
Bottom line, if it works for your table, knock yourself out. If you're asking me personally, then I wouldn't do that because intelligence doesn't impact reaction time. In fact, in my world (software testing), the most intelligent are the slowest to react because a common problem in IT is paralysis by analysis :D I kid a bit, but just a bit.

I work in software as well, analysis paralysis is the bane of my existence where I work.

But I also agree. I know many very intelligent people who would look at an orc charging them and question how he's charging them so quickly considering the poor quality of their footwear. I have a brother in law who is probably genius level IQ, and trust me he does not react quickly to input.

From a game standpoint, I'd rather have this limited to a subclass feature or perhaps a feat (with some other things).

While I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes movie from a few years back (with Robert Downey Jr) which is also true to the books, I don't see it as being a universal trait.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads