• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I am addicted to D20 products... Help...

Tokiwong

First Post
Razuur said:
Unfortunately I too am addicted. I have so many books, and whenever I think i hit my limit, I look at my fav companies and what is coming out on the horizon, and then I am screwed again.

And I have not had that problem of having too many book - ever. I have shelves of them, and I keep buying. Sigh.

I wish I could stop, but I just have this feeling that this is a new golden age, and it ill end, and I will be kicking myself if I didn't pick up this... an that... and this... and that....

It doesn't help that so many companies are putting out outstanding stuff either.

razuur
This is where I am at, I love buying this stuff, just trying to run it all sucks... ack I guess I should just stick to Mutants & Masterminds, some form of Fantasy, and Modern D20 :( but I like having my cake and eating it too :) oh the horror

Zelgadas

First Post
I have this problem, too. I thought I had found a solution when I started a d20 Modern/Arcana Unearthed crossover game, but now I want to play post-apocalyptic Mutants and Masterminds. Go figure. I can't seem to stick to a single campaign for more than two or three sessions, it seems. I actually managed to DM a D&D game long enough for the PC (there is only one guy that I game with, at the moment) to go up a couple of levels, but we haven't played that campaign for a while. As for selling books, I'm probably going to put a few up on eBay soon. I have the 3.5 books, so I figure I don't need the 3.0 books anymore, and there's some other stuff that I'm getting rid of, too. I know I'm not going to use it, but it just seems *wrong* to sell RPG books. It was hard enough for me to sell my Rifts collection a year ago (I had probably 20+ Rifts books, and lots of nostalgia associated with them), but I realized that I just wasn't going to use them anymore. Going back to Palladium's hack-job of a system after playing d20 would have been like Flowers for Algernon.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. My point is that I can comiserate with this experience.

Darklone

Join Bookwhores Anonymous at the Kalamar boards :D

I simply started to read all the books I got... (got about 3500€ in D20 stuff). So far, I'm still reading ;)

I'll buy new books as soon as I got these ones memorized. Maybe I'll make an exception for this new thing I wanted to get. And that other one... and ...

Tokiwong

First Post
Darklone said:
Join Bookwhores Anonymous at the Kalamar boards :D

I simply started to read all the books I got... (got about 3500€ in D20 stuff). So far, I'm still reading ;)

I'll buy new books as soon as I got these ones memorized. Maybe I'll make an exception for this new thing I wanted to get. And that other one... and ...
Somehow that method never works LOL

Dr. Harry

First Post
Tokiwong said:
Okay not as serious as it sounds, but I have a problem. I own so many different books, and settings that I find it hard to settle on one game to run or play, and yeah I could just combine them but sometimes even that is hard. Anyone else have this problem with the variety inherent with owning too many products?

... ahhhhk.... am I alone?

I was also like this. What cured me was buying a product from {name of company edited out in attempt to stay with politeness level of EN World}. It was so staggering bad that my "Huzzah! It Must Be Mine!" reflex was slapped down pretty hard. The second help was getting a book that was much loved by the community as a whole, but worthless to me because ... well, just because.

I recommend setting yourself a strict budget, even if you can afford your current hobby level, so that the increased perceived value of a purchase will go up because you have to choose between several, and you will pick only the ones you REALLY want.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Psion said:
There is a cure to becoming addicted to d20 products.

Getting burned out by having too many of them. ;)
This is the darn truth. I've really slowed down because I just don't have any room! And I think there are less compelling things showing up on the shelves these days.

Toscadero

Explorer
re: addicted

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has this problem. As the only DM in my gaming circle I would pick up everything. Getting married and moving into a new house gave me a good chance to slim down 21 years worth of gaming products.

I've slimmed down on extras, but the d20 campaign products are still killing me. I'm running Arcana Unearthed, but prior to that we had Cthulu, d20 modern, Wheel of Time. As I'm running the current one, I've picked up Grimm and Conan. I'm also waiting on A Game of Thrones this year. I've got copies of these games, but will never play all of them.

Psion

Adventurer
You call that a lark?

I just ordered 5 books and expect to use one. (Bawls into hands).

Quintessential Choas Mage, I will probably use, having seen it.

Encyclopedia Psionica, I am unsure of, having not seen it. BUT IT'S PSIONICS!

I bought the last two Dragonstar books just to keep up with the setting. Though I never play it.

I got spycraft most wanted. Not playing spycraft right now either. But I hope to.

Hey, at least I supported ENWorld!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads