• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Believe There Are No Bad Roleplaying Games

Blockader7

First Post
Any RPGs are made up of two to three parts:

The system, or game mechanics.

The setting, such as being located in Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk.

Adventures.

To that end, there are no bad RPGS. There is enough settings out there now thanks to a virtual explosin of d20 stuff out there to suit ones' taste.

What could be wrong though are bad mechanics, bad adventures, bad GMs, and bad players.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Spoken like a man who's never read Synnibarr. :)

I have to admit that I don't see where you're coming from here. If an RPG has bad mechanics, a bad setting, and no adventures, doesn't that make it a bad RPG?

I think there are bad RPGs, and demonstratably so. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with them, of course. Get the right people together and they can make the most horrid RPG shine. Except FATAL - that's unsalvageable.

Wippit Guud

First Post
I never posted in in the bad games thread but... have you ever tried to play HoL?

Not only is the whole scenario bad (everyone's on a penal planet, have at it), but any game that has a chart called 'the Chart chart' is excessive to chart rolling.

Blockader7

First Post
[QUOTE

You've obviously never played Vampire The Masquerade have you?

[/QUOTE]

Longtime fan of the game, actually. :D

My longest running character is a 10th generation Toreador.

Last edited:

Blockader7

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
I never posted in in the bad games thread but... have you ever tried to play HoL?

Not only is the whole scenario bad (everyone's on a penal planet, have at it), but any game that has a chart called 'the Chart chart' is excessive to chart rolling.

Is that "Hell On Earth" or "Human Occupied Landfill"?

Which I've never seen either of the games.

Larry Fitz

First Post
Ok let's try something. Here's a new RPG:

Dolphin Hunter! The game of stalking and killing aquatic mammals for fun and profit!

The game mechanics utilize... let's see... D2's! Yes, everyone has five D2's (coins will work if you have no dice) A head is worth one, and a tail is worth two. Flip all your coins at once and add up the totals to generate scores.

First your stats with their ranges:

Mind: 5-10
Body: 5-10
Prowess:5-10

Conflict resolution depends on your flips, you casll whether you have a head or tail affinity prior to each flip. If the majority of the coins land on your affinity then you succeed, if they all land on your affinity you've dione something even cooloer than you expected or intended. The opposite also holds trie, a majority of coins land opposite your affinity and you fail, all of them land that way and you something embarrasing or even hurtful to your character happens.

The genre is fascinating, you are all descendants of the Man from Atlantis (remember that TV show with Patrick Duffy?) and you hunt Dolphins because... well... you just do, it's a competitive type of thing.

There, that's a bad RPG (though not as bad as Amber:The diceless roleplaying game.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads