• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I can't keep doing it

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
I have to agree with the OP. It's getting frustrating. The worst part of it all is that I can't trust WotC anymore. Are they already planning a 6E? When does it stop?

I'm not getting off the treadmill yet. I'm going to wait until I see what WotC is cooking up, but I won't be buying any of their online products and if there is even a whiff of a repeat of the crappy releases we've had from 4E for the past year...yeah I'm gone.

nnms

First Post
I'm not getting off the treadmill yet. I'm going to wait until I see what WotC is cooking up, but I won't be buying any of their online products and if there is even a whiff of a repeat of the crappy releases we've had from 4E for the past year...yeah I'm gone.

Why not start out "gone"?

Start out with the mindset that you are looking for rules that you like and that you'll play and run what you like.

Then assess each product as it comes.

There's no reason to start out committing yourself to anything. Or committing yourself against something.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I've been much happier with my purchases since I thought about what I had and realized where the unhappiness lies. (This is true of other game systems, too, not just D&D.) Generally, when I've skipped a version (or quasi version or change), I've been satisfied. When I've dabbled in a version that I was mainly skipping, I've almost always regretted the purchase.

It's true that when you are on the downhill side of the skipped version (i.e. when everyone else is at maximum engagement with it, and enough stuff is out that everyone knows how good it is), you can feel a bit left out. But hey, you can always change your mind later, and buy in a bit. :D

BryonD

Hero
I actually ENJOY getting new stuff to digest.

*IF* they can take a system to the next step up then buying new takes on older stuff can be every bit as fun as buying material on that same topic last time and MORE fun than the topics that are typically being published several years into a game cycle.

If 5E rocks I'll buy every book with a smile.

If 5E doesn't rock then it won't matter.

:)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I did not consider 3.5 and 3.0 to be different editions - I bought the new books, but most of my players did so over the course of years.

WotC, if I recall properly, even told folks that it wasn't necessary to redo everything.

4e I considered not only a new edition but a different game.

So.... *Shrug* Make of the new edition what you will. I have not made up me mind, and won't until I have the seeing of the new edition.

The Auld Grump

Vayden

First Post
Seriously people, let's keep our perspective. I play Magic competitively, and we shell out for a new "edition" every 3 months, and our editions (aka playsets of important tournament cards) cost 3-4x as much as a D&D edition.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I did, and still do. I know many of the designers that worked on it feel the same way as well. :p

In short, the one day I showed up to play in a long campaign with my 3.0 books, and the DM said they moved on to something new, was the day I consider that edition to have ended.

Many people felt this way about Essentials when the DM tried to prune back things and the DDI Character Builder gave them an option to.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Don't sell your books, don't buy the new ones ...just yet.

3.x books were selling at less than $5 apiece with the exception of the last few published back in 2008. In 2010 many were going for 1x-2x their cover price.

I'm just saying, if you had held onto that woodgrain box, well...know when to sell.

I can't even get good old school books anymore for cheap. They used to all run from 1$ to 20 for the rarer stuff (excluding the super rares). Now it's just ridiculous trying to build old copies.

I did, and still do. I know many of the designers that worked on it feel the same way as well. :p

In short, the one day I showed up to play in a long campaign with my 3.0 books, and the DM said they moved on to something new, was the day I consider that edition to have ended.

Agreed, except for me it was in reverse. I had the 3.0 books and finally picked up a stable group of players for a game. At the time, I was the only one with copies of the 3.0 books. They wanted copies of the PH to learn some of the rules on their own time, so they bought what was available at the local store: 3.5. The result was the conversion to 3.5 with some 3.0 rules pulled back in.

Remove ads