• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I cast Shield! For one Turn?

I like the spell. Sometimes it will last longer, sometimes it will last shorter. But you don't have to decide to cast it until you want to cast it, so you aren't going to waste a spell slot by casting it on one turn and not having it come up at all. I think that is worth having a variable duration based on randomly rolled initiative and your choice of when to use it. It doesn't really need a boost; it's a great spell.

Matita

First Post
Alright then, I was just wondering I figured he was correct, so now I know sometimes it'll last longer or shorter (Depending on my turn order and when the spell is cast.) Thank you very much guys I appreciate all the feedback and help!

I like to understand rulings and whatnot and am willing to accept situations when I'm incorrect :).

Consider this post answered and closed thanks again!

CapnZapp

Legend
Actually, your analogy implies that if you cast it at 11, it ought to last until 11 comes around again. If it shuts off at 12, it was only 1/12 of a round.

To the OP: this is why cyclic initiative is horrible. There is no good answer to your question--all answers will be unsatisfactory on some level.
Only if you treat magic like science, and expect spells to last exactly 6 seconds.

The current implementation is much better - it is introducing a bit of variability without the annoyances of real variability: the spell remains solidly deterministic.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sometimes it will last longer, sometimes it will last shorter.
There's a more useful way of looking at it:

The spell can protect you from each and every attack during an entire round.

In this case there might have been only the one Giant attack. So?

The spell still protected you from each and every attack during that round.

As I see it (and I suggest you do to) the magic doesn't work on "seconds" or "time", it works in much more mystical ways :)

S'mon

Legend
Since you get your Reaction back at the start of your turn, and you can use Reactions on your turn, you just burn another 1st level spell slot and put your Shield up again when opportunity-attacked. No biggie.

jbOKgamer

Villager
Case 3
Captain, wizard, hobgob.
1) Captain attack, shield goes up.
2) Shield goes down, wizard curses like a madman about stupid RAW and do some stuff.
3) Hobgob happilly strike the wizard without shield.

I would like to point out that since the wizard should regain his reaction at start of his turn that he should be able to recast shield again if needed for the Hobgoblin's attack. It is helpful to remember a round is from start of your turn until the start of your next turn.

I would like to point out that since the wizard should regain his reaction at start of his turn that he should be able to recast shield again if needed for the Hobgoblin's attack. It is helpful to remember a round is from start of your turn until the start of your next turn.

Of course he can cast it again. He got his reaction back afterall.
Yet, the casting is clearly better in some cases than in others. With that way of rolling for initiative, there is no consistency.
Sometimes, using optional rules makes weird thing happen.

Of course he can cast it again. He got his reaction back afterall.
Yet, the casting is clearly better in some cases than in others.
What counts as "better" for a casting of shield isn't how long it lasts but how many attacks it blocks. Casting shield right after then end of your turn to block a single goblin arrow is hardly better than casting it just before the start of your turn when you're targeted by 20 goblins.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads