• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I DMed four versions of D&D this week...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm sitting at home rather exhausted this Sunday evening, as I've just come off my regular weekend of gaming - a lot of board games, and a lot of role-playing. Shortly I'll get back to reading through the latest Urban Fantasy series I've bought for my Kindle, but I'm quite happy as I've managed to DM four different systems of D&D in the last few days.

In particular, D&D Next, D&D 4E, AD&D and Pathfinder.

D&D Next I got to run as part of the new series of D&D Encounters. This is one of the more challenging series of Encounters I've participated in, mainly due to the major investigation scenes that can be run in town. The drawback to running Encounters with D&D Next is that I really don't get to see much of the new system - particularly with this session, where roleplaying and the adventure's design triumphed over Next's mechanics. The combat we did have was fairly short, I ran without miniatures (like every other game this week), and was mainly distinguished by how little I and the players really know about the current iteration of Next.

There were a few oddities that occurred; in particular, were the DC 10 Wisdom and Intelligence checks actually allowing skills to apply (as they were Arcana or Sense Motive checks in the 4E version), and showed signs of the system still not being set in stone - and probably certainly not for adventure-writing. More interesting to me than the system was how the adventure was constructed, and it really required a lot of improvising from myself to give shape to the bare material and make an entertaining investigation. We actually could have gone for another two hours just investigating things in the village, but we were definitely in danger of overrunning the timeslot, so I had to bring things to a natural end.

4E saw the (different) group continuing my high level (20th) Greyhawk game; this particular campaign has now been running since 2008. We're ramping up to the finale of the Tomb of Horrors adventure, and I've got them investigating my hacked version of Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure - Eli Tomerast rethemed as a Vecna cultist looking for clues to the opening of Acererak's final portal, which the PCs also need to find. The group ran into both him and his apprentice this session.

I took inspiration from one of Mike Mearls' recent posts to take a different way of doing the exploration of Maure Castle. There's no doubt it's a very old-school design, but unfortunately WG5 has a lot of empty rooms; it's a really big map, but very few areas of interest. So many areas have no description for them at all. So, instead of requiring the players to map every square (which we'd tried last session and had led to frustration and boredom), instead I divided the map into quadrants - well, nine sections (nonrants?) - and asked them which one they wanted to investigate first, and then directed them to the interesting areas. It worked a lot better and kept the session moving.

I hadn't prepared stats for Tomerast, instead looking for a monster of about the right level in the Monster Builder, and then adapting. As the actual combat progressed, I took inspiration from his 1E spells for the effects of his attacks: I took the attack bonuses and damages from the monster's stats, but added special effects as seemed appropriate. It worked really well and gave a pretty memorable combat. If there's one thing I love about 4E, it's how it runs these end-boss combats. Mind you, Tomerast escaped before he was slain - he'll be back!

AD&D saw the group continue to investigate the Swords & Wizardry version of Rappan Athuk. I was running a group of eight PCs here (compared to three for 4E and five for Next - and four for Pathfinder). This wasn't one of the better sessions I'd run, which was partly due to the size of the party, but also to the material. Very little "level appropriate" encounters were in the section of the dungeon they were exploring. Either they were coming up against giant rats and goblins, or against giant demon dogs with ACs of -5 or better and 24 HD! I'm sure it was frustrating for the players, and though I did some tweaking, I didn't do enough.

The successes of this session came down to the role-playing. The group were attacked by wererats, which surrendered after they realised how powerful the group were (levels 4-8 in the main). They then introduced themselves as the "Pet Shop Rats", a reference understood by less than half the table (although it did amuse the older members of the group greatly). This segued into an encounter with a tribe of goblins, which summoned some rats - causing the group to be attacked from both sides. Eventually, they survived with the aid of the Pet Shop Rats, who drew off the surviving rats and allowed everyone to concentrate on the goblins.

The one big difference between running AD&D and the other systems came down to initiative: group vs individual. Speed-wise, combat in Next and AD&D were most comparable. The group initiative did mean I far more felt that it was a group effort, interestingly enough (although 4E has elements where one character's actions enables the next, and so on).

In contrast, the Pathfinder session had very little combat at all, thanks mainly to the session being about an evil party infiltrating a castle and assassinating most of the inhabitants. Yes, we're playing through The Way of the Wicked! After a first couple of sessions of fairly linear plot, we got to a section where the adventure suggested five ways that they could do it. All of this required some ingenuity from players and DM and - after a slow start - it all came together rather well. In many ways, it reminded me of the free-form play that the Encounters session had also encouraged. What combat there was generally was one surprise round (and perhaps one normal round) against guards... all the major NPCs were attacked whilst sleeping by the Ninja in the party - the silence spell was also liberally used.

Looking back at the four sessions, there was no time when I didn't think I was playing D&D, despite major differences between the actual systems being used. There were some key common elements (and the d20 attack die and the class system very strongly are at the heart of it). Running an adventure for one system in another might occasionally require more tinkering to fit the assumptions of the new system, but it's doable. In some cases - such as the battle against Tomerast - I think it actually improved the encounter!

All of which points to what I really needed to do as a DM in these four sessions: adapt. Change the material to fit the players, the system and the situation. Add things when needed, and subtract them likewise. The less successful parts of the adventures might work for other groups, but that they didn't work for these sessions has a lot to do with how we approached them. And by seeing how the different systems and adventures approached the task of providing an entertaining time for the participants continues to enrich my Dungeon Mastering skills.

Cheers!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
As usual, your gaming stories fill me with envy... :)

I agree that adaptation is a key job of the DM and I also used to good effect the technique that you mention with 4e monsters. I recently ran a large combat in which the opponents used basic stats coming from appropriate level (and role) monsters and special effects invented by me. It worked very well.

Another thing that made that encounter memorable was when I improvised the effect of a dismissal used by the cleric against the devil worshiping cult leader. Since the cleric deity (Avandra) had actually started the whole adventure by sending visions to the character, I felt it appropriate that the power was able to imprison the enemy long-term (after some successful checks).

regarding your RA AD&D game, how was the party able to cope with the demons? Were they able to quickly recognize their power and implement a retreat?

RichGreen

Adventurer
Interesting observations, Merric!

I'm currently playing in a regular Pathfinder game and taking part in irregular D&D Next playtests, as well as continuing to run one 4e campaign and play in another. I'm enjoying all of them but the one thing that strikes me is how similar Pathfinder and Next are, and how different 4e is once we get into combat. The rest of the time, when we're exploring and roleplaying, all three games feel pretty much the same i.e. like D&D. I'm curious to try 2nd edition again - if I had more time I think I'd try and run a group through Dead Gods or an Al-Qadim adventure to see how the system feels 13 years on from when I played it last.

Cheers

Rich

the Jester

Legend
I envy you your awesome amount of D&D in a week. :)

I'm fortunate enough to be running a regular 4e campaign and also a 5e playtest campaign (I refuse to call it Next- talk about dating yourself right out the gate, ugh!). Both feel like D&D, and both are a ton of fun. 4e's big flaw for me is the speed of combat (too slow!), while at this point for 5e, the big flaw is the lack of options and the roughness of the ruleset. But both totally feel like D&D.

This thread makes me want to run a one-shot in 1e....

RichGreen

Adventurer
I'm fortunate enough to be running a regular 4e campaign and also a 5e playtest campaign (I refuse to call it Next- talk about dating yourself right out the gate, ugh!). Both feel like D&D, and both are a ton of fun. 4e's big flaw for me is the speed of combat (too slow!), while at this point for 5e, the big flaw is the lack of options and the roughness of the ruleset. But both totally feel like D&D.
I'm hoping that 5e/Next will give us a halfway house between earlier editions of D&D and 4e, so that there are more fun options in combat for fighters etc but one encounter doesn't take up half the session.

Cheers

Rich

Yeah congrats on a weekend of awesome gaming, amazing to get all that in and still have time for some boardgames, let alone eating and sleeping!

Thanks for sharing :D

Evenglare

Adventurer
I performed an experiment a while back. I ran the original modules of dragonlance both in 3.5 rules and 4th edition rules. You know what was different? Nothing really. Each of the groups ran with the archetypes of the adventure and both of them played out more or less equally with deviation only in the choices that players made not with rule set squabbles. D&D is D&D as adamant as people are saying one version caters to a particular part of the game more than the other, my personal data suggests otherwise.In each game we roleplayed, fought as teams, went through the modules both at a pretty equal pace.

Last edited:

Iosue

Legend
I very much like this thread. In many threads concerning 5e, at least one person will say, "I like X and hate Y, and you like Y and hate X. Good luck to 5e in uniting the fan base!" But I've always felt there are a lot of gamers out there who don't have such hardline positions, and it is at these gamers that 5e is aimed. The gamers in this thread who have no problem running 1e on day and 3e the next, Pathfinder on Wednesday and 4e on Friday.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads