• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I don't want to be a D&D collector

War Golem

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
That said, if you find a copy of Dune RPG, sell it on e-bay for easy money. Or the old Warhammer Chaos hardcovers.
Just curious - what Dune RPG are you referring to? The one WotC had for sale at GenCon 2000? What is it going for on eBay? Not that I have any interest in selling my copy, particularly, but everyone has their price, I suppose.

And to contribute to this thread, I can echo the sentiments of the original poster almost exactly. Yes, I recognze that I have a problem - just haven't decided yet if I want to try and fix it or not.

Cheers,
War Golem

cignus_pfaccari said:
Me, too. I was always taught that you NEVER did anything to mark up a book.

I hear that. I grew up with a mother who was a teacher, and a father who was an antique dealer. Both of them loved books. I can still hear my mom saying "Books are your friends, don't write in them." :) And my father, being in the antique business, has passed on to me a wonderfully complex idea about the value of everyday objects. unfortunatly, he was dealing with old things, I have carried through on this neurosis to common, modern things... I had a difficult time even writing in some of my college textbooks, if they were books I wanted to keep for reference later on. Those were probably the ones I should have been writing in, as it was the class notes that were actually more helpful. I tend to collect lots of things-toys (although I trained myself to open the packages up, but I have a hard time throwing the boxes away-my wife HATES this, and I know it is stupid), comics, novels, rpgs, and lots of other stuff. None of it really has any value, but I have a hard time letting things go. I have only recently started writing in my RPG books, and I don't do it alot, but it's a start. Now my old basic & 1e books, they look like someone got hold of a box of colored pencils and went crazy coloring the pictures. Which they did. Or rather, I did. :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
I casually collect.
I buy books/modules/etc. when I can get them for a good price.
I don't beat them up or write in them (I do initial my 3E books so they dont get mixed up) but this is because I don't like the idea of tearing up a book.

BTW I have one of those DUNE books from GenCon 2000. Someday I may sell it since no one wants to play it.

Scribble

First Post
Nothing D&D is worth money unless you have an original mint condition temple of elemental evil or the blue box set or brown box set everything else you can find for about a 10$ so try and get over your problem.

Durring the second edition days the first edition stuff were a pretty decent amount above cover price. I remember the Deities and Demigods with Cuthulu in it going for anywhere from 30-100.00 depending. Manual of the Planes was up there too. After 3e came out, the prices dropped.

I think it has to do with usability.While 2e was out 1e was still usable with a little modification, so people still got some of the old ones that weren't redone in 2e (or thsat they liked the old way better)

If there's a 4e in a little bit, and it's compatable with 3e and 3.5 I bet you'll see a few prices start to climb.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads