• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I feel like ****

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Except for the jokes part (seriously, getting annoyed at people not getting jokes??) this sounds like the GM should have put a foot down in regards to the in game behavior. Someone not rolling with the group at all would have probably been gone from here a lot sooner.

But if you are usually not getting a lot of new people, it probably doesn't matter that your GM is a bit lax ;)

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Nobody books a meeting to talk about that thing Bob did at the last game. It just kind of comes up.

Sometimes such meetings do get arranged. Long time ago, a guy in our Star Wars group was a bit of an issue in public (too loud, always trying to flirt with women clearly not interested, to the point of being thrown out of a bar once, and other stuff). Someone in the group had most of us others meet to discuss the guy, but I really felt bad in that situation. I hadn't noticed most of the other stuff. Can't say I really participated in that discussion other than expressing my annoyance about the flirting thing. It did feel behind the back to me.

I don't recall if anything was said to the guy before, or who talked to him later (I wisely kept out of it that time) but he stopped showing up. Was I relieved? Most of me didn't care if he showed or not, but he had brought us the wrong sort of attention and as a fan group we wanted to make sure to not be seen in thew wrong light. So I think it was at least fine with me that he was gone. But I still felt bad about it.

Janx

Hero
But I still felt bad about it.

I think it is OK, or even good to feel bad about letting somebody go.

You should feel bad because letting somebody go hurts their feelings, and it illustrates that you and your group failed in some way.

You failed in preventing a poor fitting person in joining the group.
you failed to get help them adjust and correct their behavior.
you impacted another person's life in a negative way.

Having let people go, I can see why it was important to do so. But I take no joy in it. I reflect on how I could have detected this person wasn't a fit, and whether I should have taken corrective steps sooner.

The way I see it, when somebody joins my company, I'm taking a risk and time expense to train them. They are taking a risk in that if this is not the right company for them, they are missing out being on the market looking for a better fit. I really don't want to waste their time or my time. So if I hire the wrong guy, I have some culpability in that and I'm about to impact his life in a bad way when he finds out he's not up to snuff.

Now I could certainly lay this all on him. That's easy. Deep down inside, I probably blame him for not being as good as he said he was. But I always try to see what I could have done better so I don't have to do it again.

And I'm satisfied that I don't feel good about doing it. It means that I'm not a total heartless jerk.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Like you, I have had to boot the occasional player - but one of the things I have found which makes things a bit easier, is as soon as things start to escalate and the group begins to grumble, I let the offender know right there and then they're on thin ice. I'm a two strike guy. Once I have the talk - and if things don't immediately improve, at the end of that sitting I let them go. Early on I would gnash my teeth and worry about it, but not any more. We all come to have fun, if one of us is taking that fun away - g'bye. Especially if it's a relative newcomer.

We had a founder of one of my groups meet a girl who said she wanted to play. He wouldn't come unless she could too. The problem is she was bat-poop crazy. We endured it once. I talked to him, he said she'd tone it down. She didn't - I didn't wait for a vote, booted em both out.

Her character liked too pick fights, with everyone and everything. Friendly NPCs, monster, players characters, didn't matter. Every time she realized there was a trap, she'd try to get it to "spring" to see what happened. Lastly, she had a morbid fascination with asian boys - children - and her female character would always be trying to "buy one" to "pleasure" her, every town, every village. It was freaking bat-poop crazy.

Now, I don't really want to be hitting this too hard but as it's an issue that DOES come up so frequently I think it does need to be emphasized.
A gets along well with B, C, and D, but for whatever reason B and C can't stand D. D is oblivious to B's and C's dislike of him.

Is A doing anyone any favors by continuing to host social occasions to which B, C, and D are all invited?

Of course not.

The nicest thing for A to do is to be honest with D.
And A should do so by speaking with B, C, D, F and everyone else involved indicating that D's behavior is a problem and requires correction - and this should take place LONG before so much time has passed that the situation has reached a crisis point. It should take place IMMEDIATELY upon the problem being recognized.

This is what I was trying to achieve. There was also E who is the DM, who is a too nice guy and didn't want to get messed up with it all. He has thanked me yesterday for asking Flumph (D) to leave. He acknowledged that the situation was getting out of hand.
Situations are going to vary, (yours obviously does) but quite often the DM is also the host. Also the DM is widely considered to be generally in charge of the game and it is the DM who ultimately decides who he wants playing in his game or not. The players participate in the game at the invitation of the DM, not another player. If the DM doesn't have a house or someplace of his own to hold the game then it is still generally the DM who makes arrangements for where the game will be hosted. If the host doesn't want a player present for some reason then, yes, the host has the ability to prevent his participation, but it is still the DM who typically retains the right - and responsibility - of deciding who plays and who doesn't.

There will inevitably be conflicts in various groups with some people at the table not wanting others at the table. By default it falls to the DM to decide who is permitted to stay and who is permitted to go. Players, however, obviously get to vote with their own feet. Thus, COMMUNICATION is required among ALL participants at the table WHEN IT BECOMES AN ISSUE - as soon as it starts to heat up, not when it is boiling over.

Even though I'm not the GM, I do plan all the gaming meetings, coordinate the communication etc.
Which is a bit unusual but not unheard of. Still, as the "coordinator" it should then have been you who speaks with the complaining players, the DM, and the offending player so that everyone knows what's going on and why. Without talking to everyone about it you're just letting the problem fester, probably in futile hope that it will just go away, and when it unsurprisingly doesn't resolve itself you find that you're in an even WORSE position to deal with a now escalated situation.

COMMUNICATION. It isn't just a matter of telling everyone the date and start time for the game. SOMEBODY has to be willing and able to handle inevitable real-world people issues.

Just after F quit our gaming group (the guy who had introduced Flumph), they told the DM and me that they didn't wan't to play with Flumph anymore.

But they didn't tell him or act upon it. They assumed the DM would fix this. The DM said: "I don't see the problem, I'll stop inviting him, but when he asks to play, he's welcome." A few months later, he moved away, so we didn’t feel any action necessary at that time.

We did tell Flumph off when he did something we really didn't like on several occasions. He laughed everything away, and even when we told him we were serious, he thought we were joking. Some of their issues I personally never noticed before they spoke out.
all of which demonstrates the LACK of communication. With Flumph being oblivious (perhaps even deliberately) to criticism it should have been a red flag that direct and open communication was required.

I'll just give some examples of stuff I have to agree with where annoying, but to me were not worth booting the guy. To note, he played a Lawful Good City Guardsman, most of his actions weren’t very lawful or good
And don't get me started on alignment. Alignment behavior IN PARTICULAR is an issue which too frequently DEMANDS more communication between everyone at the table.

When discussing in-game tactics and we all agreed on a plan. Upon execution, he tended to abandon these plans at first chance. This had had several severe in-game consequences (character deaths included, never his).
And should have precipitated a conversation with the player immediately.
He always wanted to pick a fight with the NPCs. Always. Even when they are Archons and Angels.
Which should precipitate a conversation with the player immediately.
He wanted lots of loot and xp, even for battles he did not participate in. And whined about it.
He rewrote his character sheet before everytime we played. Changed his character name, stats, his abilities, everything except the fact that he still was the Lawful Good City Guardsman we new previously.
Conversation IMMEDIATELY and BOOT on the 2nd offense. This, to my thinking, is blatantly intolerable.
He made jokes nobody thought were funny, and didn’t get any of the jokes the rest of the group made.
Even so simple a thing as, "I don't get your humor, you don't get my humor," can be enough to declare that someone just doesn't fit with the rest of the group.
These and other problems which I gathered B and C had with Flumph combined spoiled their evenings. They also said they just didn’t like the guy. When he was there the atmosphere soon got grimmy, so that started to spoil my evenings too. (Flumph however didn't notice).
Again, somebody needs to be the personnel manager for the group. It shouldn't matter that you personally don't have a serious problem with the player. When any person at a game table has issues with any other then the real-world personal communication process ought to begin.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
And A should do so by speaking with B, C, D, F and everyone else involved indicating that D's behavior is a problem and requires correction - and this should take place LONG before so much time has passed that the situation has reached a crisis point. It should take place IMMEDIATELY upon the problem being recognized.

Let's put a little onus back on B and C. Technically, they are the ones with the problem (not liking D). If B & C don't initate some changes, waiting until it gets so bad in their mind that they threaten to quit, A may not fully realize there's a problem or how bad it is.

A may be the host, and have authority to boot people, but that doesn't mean A has the knowledge that there's a problem, how bad it is, or what to do about it.

B & C being the ones who are agitated by D's behavior, are the ones holding up the show. One could argue that if you boot B & C, the problem also goes away. If they don't take some proactive actions to communicate their problem, they are effectively, part of the problem.

I bring this up, because too much of the funny hat guy's answer puts the responsibility on A. A may have the authority, but that doesn't mean they own the whole problem.

Dordledum

First Post

Just to point out, concerning these instances, we did voice our concerns! He just didn't acknowledge them as an issue. I am surprised about him being so surprised.

The problem here partly was, who the authority figure is in our group. I must say, if I was the DM in this game, I'd ask him to leave way earlier. Our DM is a great storyteller, but no leader at all.

I'll never let a similar issue fester like this if it comes up in the future though. If I have a problem as a player, I'll discuss it immediately with the person in question. If other people in our group have issues, I'll ask them to either handle it or to please shut up about it.

We had our first session without Flumph yesterday evening. We discussed the situation for 10 minutes. Everybody agreed we should have handled this better and much earlier. We were all glad about the outcome and had a great game afterwards.

Dordledum

First Post
Let's put a little onus back on B and C. Technically, they are the ones with the problem (not liking D). If B & C don't initate some changes, waiting until it gets so bad in their mind that they threaten to quit, A may not fully realize there's a problem or how bad it is.

A may be the host, and have authority to boot people, but that doesn't mean A has the knowledge that there's a problem, how bad it is, or what to do about it.

B & C being the ones who are agitated by D's behavior, are the ones holding up the show. One could argue that if you boot B & C, the problem also goes away. If they don't take some proactive actions to communicate their problem, they are effectively, part of the problem.

I bring this up, because too much of the funny hat guy's answer puts the responsibility on A. A may have the authority, but that doesn't mean they own the whole problem.

I agree, booting B and C would have solved the problem as well. But A, B, C, E, and F are all good friends, and D (Flumph) was only a friend of F and just an acquaintance to the rest. If someone had to go the choice was easy.

If we didn't allow the situation to fester, probably no-one had to leave at all, which I would've preferred. However, when the issues were identified as being a problem, it was already to late.

S'mon

Legend
You - your GM, specifically - should have told him what behaviour was wrong much earlier, I think. If he wants to know you should politely tell him, now. However incompatibilities are common and you should not feel bad about having to drop him, only that you let it run on.

Dordledum

First Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Really helped me in vocalizing, defining and understanding the problem(s) better, so I can maybe avoid it in the future.

Remove ads