I found real studded leather in the Wallace Collection

Quartz

Hero
But it's not studded leather armour for a person; it's a protective leather binding on a spear. It's in the far corner of the Indian / Persian hall. Object 2196 FWIW

Vn1Lijm.jpg

1JARNi2.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
Pretty much the only thing I'd want to go to England for, is The Wallace Collection. I sent a friend there, when he was living in England for a couple of years, and he cried.

Thourne

Hero
Nice pics.
So glad this wasn't about "studded leather armor" cuz that error irks me to no end. :)
There was no studded leather armor just misunderstood pictures of coats of plates, brigandine, etc

Just out of curiosity is it described as protective? It seems from appearance as if it might be more for grip. Just curious.

The Wallace Collection is a small gem of a museum. Fine art and weapons and armor from across the world, what's not to love?

In Florence, Italy, the Stibbert Museum also has an amazing collection of arms and armor.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
On the “studded leather armor lol” front, I understand that it can be satisfying to roll your eyes at things. That said, I highly recommend giving this video a watch, I remember finding it very interesting as a break down of what people actually mean when they say “X didn’t exist,” namely that it probably didn’t exist in Europe except where it did because of cultural exchange, which isn’t nearly as rare as a lot of us like to think.

Ryujin

Legend
On the “studded leather armor lol” front, I understand that it can be satisfying to roll your eyes at things. That said, I highly recommend giving this video a watch, I remember finding it very interesting as a break down of what people actually mean when they say “X didn’t exist,” namely that it probably didn’t exist in Europe except where it did because of cultural exchange, which isn’t nearly as rare as a lot of us like to think.
Like Matt Easton is fond of saying, "Context." This thing that didn't exist in Western Europe absolutely did in Asia. There's a very Eurocentric bias out there.
EDIT - As an aside, I roll my eyes every time that I see a modern game rate a motorcycle helmet as some form of durable armour. Clearly the designers have never ridden a motorcycle. Yes, a motorcycle helmet is designed to protect you. Once.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Like Matt Easton is fond of saying, "Context." This thing that didn't exist in Western Europe absolutely did in Asia. There's a very Eurocentric bias out there.
EDIT - As an aside, I roll my eyes every time that I see a modern game rate a motorcycle helmet as some form of durable armour. Clearly the designers have never ridden a motorcycle. Yes, a motorcycle is designed to protect you. Once.
Well to be fair, most people don't realize this. Same with bicycle helmets and car seats. Ski helmets are designed to be reused even after minor impacts, but should be replaced after any serious impact. It seems wasteful, but I would never buy/accept a used helmet or car seat. They are consumables.

Ryujin

Legend
Well to be fair, most people don't realize this. Same with bicycle helmets and car seats. Ski helmets are designed to be reused even after minor impacts, but should be replaced after any serious impact. It seems wasteful, but I would never buy/accept a used helmet or car seat. They are consumables.
In motorcycle racing here, in Canada, if there's a crash then the helmet needs to be reinspected by the technical team. That's even if everyone sees that it never touched the ground. Every racer I've known has tried to have at least two helmets with them, any time they go to the track, for this reason.

Remove ads