• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I got kicked out of my group!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
der_kluge said:
I never had this happen before. The group I was playing with kicked me out.

Sorry to hear that. I only gamed with you once but it was a great deal of fun and you, personally, had a lot to do with that. Good luck finding a new group. Maybe avoid those more insular groups that have a long history together and try to find one that is more open and diverse.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
fusangite said:
I strongly suspect that I was kicked out of one group I was in. But, as any polite group of gamers should do, the group packaged it to me as the campaign being cancelled. I suspect that they simply took a few weeks off and resumed playing without me. I really don't get why people would be so rude as to tell someone they don't want them around when options like this are available.
I don't think that's "polite" at all; it's just cowardly. If I were going to be kicked out of a group, I'd at least like to know why, if for no other reason than that I could then try not to repeat the problem with my next group.

National Acrobat

First Post
Not a Problem

der_kluge said:
NA - thanks for the invite. I may take you up on that some time in the future. Life is kind of busy for me right now anyway, so I think I'll just take a hiatus for a bit.

Anytime. I know how things can be. We're in the middle of a month long hiatus because everyone is super busy. Drop me a line whenever you feel like it.

fusangite

First Post
Peter Gibbons said:
I don't think that's "polite" at all; it's just cowardly. If I were going to be kicked out of a group, I'd at least like to know why, if for no other reason than that I could then try not to repeat the problem with my next group.
It's not necessarily a problem most of the time. People are just different from one another and may not fit together in a game. There are way too many tastes out there in terms of both game and social dynamics to start attributing incompatibility to flaws in people.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I've never been kicked out of a group to my knowledge.

But I have left groups that added players to the group that I clearly stated I would not game with again.
They added the guy, I left. Shortly thereafter, others would stop showing, the game would collapse. And then we'd start a new game shortly afterwards, and thus the cycle would start over again.

But that was all back in high school when my gaming options were limited to the same groups of people.

Now, 15 years later, I'm still particular about who I play with, and we don't risk losing a good player we know for an unknown player.
Just seems to make sense to me that way.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Conaill said:
Graf - please take it to email. No need to air your dirty laundry here on the boards.

And for the record - if that is how you usually respond to a "cry for help", I sincerely hope I'll never need your help...

Don’t worry about it, I have been aware of Graf’s feelings about me for a long time. I have tried a few times to reach out and mend the relationship directly and through mutual friends, but the man just plain doesn’t like me and I work well as a cause of all his troubles.

But this drama does in fact relate to the topic at hand as I see it. Playing styles and personalities are things that can conflict deeply. A guy can join a group and think everything is fine, but in fact there is someone else in the group who absolutely hates him. This could be what went on in the OP’s group, I have no idea; and my point is that the OP might not have any idea either.

I should also point out that Graf is right. We were never co-DMs officially. What I was trying to say in the first post was that in my game he acted like a dm, while a player. Then, when I went to me next game I did the same thing to the DM. This is another thing that might have happened to the OP, again, I don’t know.

BTW: I do still think Graf made the best story-based game I have played in. I would play in another of his games, but he wouldn’t be welcome in mine. I am sorry that he got so burned out on DnD, and that he blames it on me.

Email me man, we can work this out.

-Tatsu

Below is a message to Graf:

[sblock]
Graf, I have tried to fix this relationship, but so far I have gotten nothing from you. I assume I don’t have your current email, and that you are ignoring private messages.

Please email me so we can work things out. I don’t harbor any ill feelings towards you. Your scarred lands game didn’t fall apart because of me. It fell apart because you were devoting yourself to it too much. This made for a great game, the best story I have played in; but it also burned you out. That’s why you had to take a year off pen-n-paper gaming and do MMRPGs. I am glad to hear that you are back. I would love to get a cup of coffee and talk about this.

I am not the devil who caused your burn out. I am not the vile person you think I am. I was new to high-story gaming in your scarred lands game. I have learned a lot since then, and I have become a better gamer. Please don’t get stuck on me as a cause of all your problems. You have to move on man. It’s not healthy to wallow in hate.

Email me, please, or email Will, or Connor, or even Ats (if anyone can find him). Talk to someone about it.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Er, well this is kind of awkward.

I'm going to have to echo Conaill here. Although I'm sure both of you have the best of intentions, this isn't really the place for it. ;)

Nick

STARP_JVP

First Post
Booting a player out of the group is the single most drastic thing a DM can do, and it should not be done lightly. In the ten years I've been a DM, I have kicked a player out of the group exactly once, and even then, the player hadn't shown up for the past few sessions anyway. He was booted out for reasons of being disruptive. Since then, I've never had to give any player the heave-ho. I've deliberately left players out of new campaigns, and I've had many a player leave for one reason or another, but just that one time have I used The Ultimate Power.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Ouch! Any ideas as to why they 'had more fun' without you? Or is it just that the three musketeers feel that they really Don't need D’Artagnan? It sound like the DM had no problems, just that those three were close friends, and you weren't.

I have never been kicked out of a game, but it seems like every campaign that I have ever been in has kicked out at least one player at some point or another. (In the first campaign that I ever played in the DM and his best friend both got kicked out, which is how I ended up DMing for the first time.)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads