• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I guess I really do prefer simplicity

Hairfoot

First Post
Tequila Sunrise said:
*sigh* Really? You really think I somehow missed RP 101? I think I've been very patient through this discussion, but it's wearing thin. Fine, let's take a character that I played a few years back, by the name of Finn MacCool. In brief, Finn was born into a noble house. As a child he narrowly escaped the destruction of his House, which resulted in him having a phobia of death and an obsession with seeking out immortality. Fostered in secret by a loyal warrior, Finn learned the only profession available to him: that of a warrior. Having an aristocratic background and a preference for words over swords, he learned to speak charmingly as well as how to fight.

Now, can we stop going off on these insulting tangents about the validity of fluff that's irrelevant to the discussion?

You can spare the sighing. You've been patiently telling other roleplayers that the style of game they enjoy isn't enjoyable, based on a single session of OD&D with two other players and an otherwise limited gaming history.

Fluff is entirely relevant because the argument is that newer editions of D&D encourage players to create ultimate crunch and back it up with retconned fluff, while older editions allow free rein of imagination with the rules as a backdrop.

People keep saying, quite reasonably, that it's OK for you not to like that preference, but you're apparently determined to prove that we can't possibly be having any fun.

You haven't earned the right to be didactic.

If you like inventing house rules on the spot every time a player wants his character to be something other than Fighting Man #2430, and every time he wants to do something other than make a basic attack roll, by all means the earlier editions are for you. I call it limited, but you of course don't have to live by my word.

"On the spot". Can you quote anything in this thread that suggests making a completely new rule, unconnected to previous events, each time a PC does something not covered by the rules?

Several posters have pointed out that building a minimal, consistent ruleset for each group is the great strength of OD&D.

I call strawman.

Know what I did playing my very first 4e game? Wrote up an NPC cleric, refluffed as a bard, in about fifteen minutes. Know what I let a player do during last Sunday's 4e game, that 4e rules explicitly forbids? Moving through an enemy space. So no, I'm not trapped in the 'rules don't cover it, so can't be done' mindset. I'm focusing on mechanical options/rules because that's where I see the lack in earlier editions.chanical options.
Focus as much as you please. Many of us see no such lack.

I very much like the concept for this bard, though. Can you post his character sheet? I'd really like to see how you brought the bard out within the rules of the cleric.

But wait...you let a player move through an enemy space, in contradiction to the rules. Does that mean you mean made up a houserule on the spot?

You know that democracy (aka consensus) is the slowest and least efficient form of government, bar none, right?

Democracies never achieve consensus, but if you meant to say that majority rule is slow, that's absolutely correct.

Dictatorships which enforce cumbersome, inflexible rules, OTOH, are far more efficient. Describe for us how such a regime is conducive to fun and good times, and why having majority agreement in a gaming group is undesirable.

Only in the same way that our id is captive to cultural norms. A fuller rule set says 'You can be good at a few things of your choice. Use them to flesh out your character.' It provides you with a basic set of shared assumptions, a springboard for ideas while at the same time stifling the 'I'm good at everything!' syndrome. Now, if you like to throw all of that to the wind, that's cool too. I knew two brothers growing up whose parents didn't teach them how to eat with utensils because they didn't believe in rules, so the brothers just ended up learning when they visited friends.

Rather, a fuller ruleset says, "you can be good at a few things chosen from a limited list according to your character's class, and only those things. We'll have none of this "educated fighter" nonsense."

Skill points dictate that each fighter is only suited to being a meathead who can only climb, jump and intimidate, while a sorcerer is penalised for trying to be a streetwise burglar assisted by magic.

Then an anecdote about siblings and cutlery. I ask you to explain the relevance.

1. I played a single session with a married couple who have the game and are fond of older editions. It ended with me (or the other character?) being teleported to who-knows-where by a randomly generated scroll. I may very well play again, if they can find time away from their kids.

2. Other than D&D, I've played a month or two of pbp Exalted, which I'm actually using for the setting of my new D&D game. I ended up quitting because I just don't do well with the pbp format. Other than that, I played V:tM with a ST who didn't believe in rolling dice. Ever. Yeah, that lasted exactly one session.
Obviously, I asked so that I could gauge the amount of experience you're basing your arguments on. I appreciate your honesty.

Last edited:

markkat

First Post
I've been thinking on the OP's point a lot of late.

Personally, I think simplicity is very important for a GM. However, sometimes simplicity is just that, and it falls short, -particularly for long in depth campaigns. As a player, I've always found the D&D classes too restrictive to develop the kind of character I want for long-term play.

That said, GMing classless systems can be a pain.

Ideally, characters should allow for many different development options, but should be quick to construct, -at any level.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Ari, The following things were never quite addressed and I consider them still relevant. So here they are again:
From your reply to Hobo:
One, could you provide situational examples? To be honest, I'm just not following your comments here and examples would be helpful for me to understand where you're coming from.
Can you provide these examples?

I'm not sure we're even arguing the same topic as each other. By what you wrote above, it reads to me as you're suggesting a game can be as complex as it wants to be as long as the player can just sit down and say "I do X" and "X" happens (or Y or Z depending on factors of course). In other words, the GM must be a master of all complexity the game contains and the player can merely attend and purely roleplay all their actions. The GM rolls the dice, figures out the modifiers, holds the character sheets, etc. Am I understanding you correctly?
Can you please respond to this? I’d really like to know if one of us is arguing against tomatoes by extolling the virtues of chili powder.

Yes! As I have repeatedly stated, THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. Old-style D&D does not require precise and specified 'corporate official rules'. Your "wonderful feature" is our "frustrating kludge", and vice-versa, because the designs are means to different ends, different games, different experiences.
Let’s get this straight before it escalates. NO version of D&D requires precise and specified rules. ALL versions of D&D provide avenues for on-the-fly rulings. If I’m playing a swashbuckler that plans to leap off a chandelier to maneuver himself behind an enemy for a shocking strike filled with flair, the GM will need to decide how to handle the situation regardless of edition.

Simplified rules mean that if players want to experience a tangible effect for saying they act like a swashbuckler in combat (perhaps catching foes off-guard with witty repartee) the GM needs to adjudicate it. More complex rules might provide a GM and the player rules to cover such effects, eliminating some of the adjudication needs. Allow me to disclaim for the Nth time: I am not saying EITHER is better. The are just different styles of play.

Your WoW character can't gonzo across the room via swinging on the chandelier before swashing his buckle in someone's face and catching the swooning damsel in his arms. Nor can her howl be heard as she heedlessly charges at the center of the enemy line, foaming at the mouth (and I bet a WoW character can't do *that*!) and ready to kill for the gods or to all too soon join them.
All of this and more happens in WoW through the liberal use of emotes. Will you see it on screen? Of course not. But you can do it. And if everyone you roleplay with in WoW goes along with it, well then it happens doesn’t it?

Does doing so have tangible effects in game? If my warrior howls at the enemy, is it cowed? Of course not. The code that operates WoW is clearly not that flexible. The code, a.k.a. rules, don’t support it. Without some rules to support it, roleplay in WoW can quickly devolve into children games of “I shoot you,”-> “Well I dodged it” -> “But I knew you dodged and aimed accordingly” -> “But I knew you anticipated my dodge so I put up a shield” -> ad nausea.

The point is, with a handful of responsible people interested in playing cooperatively, roleplay in WoW works just fine. However, when you don’t hit on that utopia, it can break down pretty quickly.

If people are in a tabletop game where (a) there is more competitiveness (b) there is a by-the-book GM (c) people don’t have the time to develop house rules (d) people aren’t good at developing house rules (e) house rules are communicated poorly or not at all (f) all other sorts of communications issues or other scenarios I’m failing to list here then perhaps more “corporate official rules” (as Ari affectionately calls them) might be just the thing that game needs to excel.

Or perhaps some people just like to play that way.

Individuality does not come from mechanics. Please repeat: individuality does not come from mechanics.

Mechanics are merely the fiddly things (some say nuisances) that allow combat and danger to be a playable part of the game. Individuality comes from the personality - the (dare I say it) character - you as the player put behind those mechanics, for all the times when those mechanics aren't in use.
If everything else is working, it shouldn't matter a tinker's damn that the swashbuckler and the barbarian are using the exact same to-hit matrix, because in the game they'll look, sound, and feel very different assuming they're played well.

Poppycock. I’ll hand-wave past all the derision in here because it’s not productive. And while I believe Tequila already said it, I’ll repeat it: individuality CAN come from personality AND mechanics.

Barbarian Bob wades into combat, his mouth frothing. He sees two enemies in front of him and takes a mighty swing with his huge two-handed sword, slicing into both in a spray of blood and guts and caring little for the multiple attacks that cut into him while he executes his less than tactical maneuver.

Swashbuckling Steve darts in and out of combat, toying with his foes thanks to his obvious superiority with his finely crafted rapier.

So the two are in the same combat. How would you resolve this? Would they both roll an attack and then the GM would just narrate the result down so it fits into the rules that exist? Might that mean that despite Bob’s description he only could ever hit one person anyway? Might that mean that Steve is just as easy to hit as Bob?

You need rules to resolve these kinds of things. I don’t care what kind of rules they are. They could be house rules, published rules, or whatever. But you need rules. Even if we just say Steve is harder to hit than Bob, there has to be some sort of mechanic to back it up. Again, it could be in the GMs head, written on a sheet of loose-leaf paper, or in a PHB somewhere. But SOMEWHERE you have to know how much harder Steve is to hit than Bob or failing that, have a repeatable method to determine it.

So if Steve wants to be harder to hit than Bob, game mechanics somewhere have to back it up or it’s meaningless. And I’ll repeat it again. Said mechanics can be solely in the GMs head, but they have to exist somewhere. Therefore, game mechanics have all the capability in the world to help define a character’s individuality.

Should you require another discussion point, would Steve and Bob deal the same amount of damage? Remember Steve has a rapier and Bob has a massive two-handed sword.

At any rate, if you truly want to argue that mechanics don’t have this level of an importance in a roleplaying game than I’d suggest you are rather arguing that roleplaying games should just be storytelling sessions that are pure collaborative narration. Of course that works too, and it certainly can be a good time, and it certainly isn’t badwrongfun (did I cover enough bases here to not touch nerves or get misrepresented? :p ). But it certainly isn’t in line with the style of roleplaying games I think we’re talking about in this thread, though I’m willing to be convinced otherwise.

Handbooks of guidelines are fine, if the Game Master needs them. It does not follow that his own guidelines are inferior to someone else's. It certainly is not likely that someone not at all informed of the situation at hand should be better acquainted with its particulars.
Who’s arguing that rulebooks are an unyielding set of instructions that must be heeded by each and every printed letter? There’s a reason any gaming book worth its salt has a “rule zero” that states having fun should take precedence over the printed rules.

My contention with your stance is you seem to be suggesting most if not all rules of an rpg should be ignored (Although I may be completely wrong and your stance is on a completely different plane. See further my question way up top). Surely you can and perhaps do play this way. But don’t think that people who play otherwise are just in it for the “sub-game” of character building.

Oni

First Post
If my warrior howls at the enemy, is it cowed? Of course not. The code that operates WoW is clearly not that flexible.

Heh, while it really has no bearing on your point, I feel the unrelentingly nerdish need to point out that the warrior class does in fact have that exact ability in WoW, it's called Intimidating Shout. :p

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Finn sounds like a grand character. My question remains, though: why does he need *mechanical* support for his personality and history beyond simple choice of weapon and armour (being an aristocrat, for example, I can easily see him favouring rapier and dirk, and eschewing heavy armour for other less obvious yet more effective forms of protection); a choice which you can make as a player in any edition the game has ever had.
Sure, you can make any decision you want in any edition; the relevant question to me is: does it matter and am I punished for making atypical decisions? So let's compare the three editions I know:

If I had made Finn in 2e, he'd no doubt be a fighter. I would have described and rped him as charming as best I could, but I don't remember any social proficiencies. So I would have been dependent on the whim of my DM; he might be one of those DMs who think fighters can only fight, he might base NPC reactions completely on my own only-occasionally-charming speech, or he might base NPC attitude off of the Reaction Chart or a simple Charisma check. None of which appeal to me, which is the problem with rules-light systems IMO: You have to hope that your DM is 100% phenomenal because the rules really don't give much guidance.

I happened to make Finn for a 3e game, and he was a fighter. 3e does think that fighters can only fight, which sucks, but at least it has halfway coherent rules and guidelines for social skills and skill options for players who imagine their characters as sociable. Luckily I had a halfway phenomenal DM, so he let me have Diplomacy as a class skill. So when social encounters happened, Finn's charm really shone though so long as I made the effort to rp it.

If I had made Finn in 4e, he might have been a fighter, tempest style -- or maybe a refluffed ranger or rogue or a tactical warlord -- because no matter what, I can pick up Skill Training in Diplomacy and be confident that it'll make a small difference during social encounters. And as an added bonus, those class options don't blatantly punish me for wearing light armor and a couple even make dual wielding a roughly balanced option, unlike previous editions. Now that's what I call freedom!

It's also the most effective means of decision making, due to the greater buy-in that those people who participated in the process tend to have. A fine example is the rule-set we use for our games - much of it was informally hammered out over gallons of tea in the early 1980's by players and DMs alike. That system is still going strong today mostly due to the buy-in from those who helped design it.
No doubt; I commented on Hairfoot's simultaneous claim of using consensus to make frequent decisions and 'rocketing' through his game, which seems an oxymoronic statement.
You can spare the sighing. You've been patiently telling other roleplayers that the style of game they enjoy isn't enjoyable, based on a single session of OD&D with two other players and an otherwise limited gaming history.
Wrong. Since my first post, where I might have avoided all this fuss by adding an 'IMO,' I've been very careful to use 'I' statements and be politically correct about what others enjoy.
"On the spot". Can you quote anything in this thread that suggests making a completely new rule, unconnected to previous events, each time a PC does something not covered by the rules?
All I have is a couple vague promises of house ruled options; I and others have asked for specific examples but have got none. So we have to assume that every time something comes up in game that's not covered by the rules, you folks are making house rules on the spot.
I very much like the concept for this bard, though. Can you post his character sheet? I'd really like to see how you brought the bard out within the rules of the cleric.
I don't have the CS anymore, but I can tell you just as easily how a cleric becomes a bard: instead of a holy symbol I gave him a flute and mentioned him playing it around the campfire and when he used a buff power. Instead of praying incessantly, he sang incessantly.
But wait...you let a player move through an enemy space, in contradiction to the rules. Does that mean you mean made up a houserule on the spot?
Hel yeah! I'm not afraid to house rule and home brew when my fave edition occasionally doesn't have anything vaguely resembling what I want to do. In this particular case, I think 4e acts too much like a video game -- sure, moving through an enemy's space should be really dangerous but to rule that a character just can't attempt an action that a real person clearly can is silly for an rpg.
Democracies never achieve consensus, but if you meant to say that majority rule is slow, that's absolutely correct.

Dictatorships which enforce cumbersome, inflexible rules, OTOH, are far more efficient. Describe for us how such a regime is conducive to fun and good times, and why having majority agreement in a gaming group is undesirable.
Wow, talk about putting words in my mouth! I am the dictator of my game, but the way I use the rules is far from inflexible or cumbersome. I do seek general agreement in my group, I just don't take inordinate amounts of time to do so. On the rare occasion that something comes up that the rules don't cover, like moving through an enemy's space, I make a call and move on. That call is usually to the players' advantage, and I often go back to it after the session to make sure it's balanced, but I don't stop in the middle of a session to hold a prolonged forum about it.

Ariosto

First Post
NO version of D&D requires precise and specified rules.
ANY game in which a player is to know, manipulate, cite, etc., formal or mathematical rules, requires that the rules be specified to whatever precision such use entails. How can someone build a feat chain without the apparatus of feats? The answer is: only by far-fetched analogy, and that's clearly not satisfactory to Tequila Sunrise.

That is the reasonable reason TS objected to 'house rules' that are 'vague and unspecified'.

Of course, 'house rules' are not necessarily that! They can be quite detailed. Indeed, the only thing distinguishing the very rules TS so likes from 'house rules' is their appearance in books legally bearing the Dungeons & Dragons trademark. Prior to 2000, they would have been 'house rules'. Outside of the very specific "3e" or "3.5e" context, they are still 'house rules' -- and not the ones we use at our house.

If there is a sense in which there can be such a thing as playing either of those games without using a big chunk of the precisely specified rules, then I think it a pretty wispy and unhelpful sense. It certainly would not deliver the experience TS expects.

By contrast, my group does not speak of 'playing an edition', because much of the time that would be a senselessly arbitrary distinction. In a recent game, we used material from OD&D, 1e and 2e. Throwing something from B/X or BECMI into the mix would be no problem.

It is necessary to have some common understandings, and a reference text can often be a help. We adapt that toolkit to our needs, rather than vice-versa. In the game in which I'm a player, the 2e approach to priest spells (which the DM initially favored) wasn't working very well for us, so the cleric now uses the 1e PHB list.

Ariosto

First Post
If you need a Rule 2731.97.53: Chandelier (Literal), Crystal, Swinging From ... and so on for every situation of such specificity, then maybe you're getting a bit too picky, eh?

The fundamental problem, in the RPG context, seems to be an inversion of reality. Somehow, people seem to acquire the misapprehension that "crunch" precedes "fluff"; the very nomenclature suggests the evaluation of which is more essential and concrete.

"Game systems" do not precede the phenomena they model! The case is just the reverse.

Whether dealing with Dragons or Dragoons, one starts with a view. Game mechanisms simply express it.

Ariosto

First Post
No doubt; I commented on Hairfoot's simultaneous claim of using consensus to make frequent decisions and 'rocketing' through his game, which seems an oxymoronic statement.
If that reflects on your experience, then it is a matter of the interpersonal dynamics in your group.

For a group of people who are not at cross purposes, and are knowledgeable at least of where their ignorance lies; who are not only good sportsmen but gathered in the first place primarily to spend time with friends; who, in short, cultivate no motive for lengthy disputation -- for such a group, the need for a DM to "lay down the law" is quite rare.

If people are already fractious, then all the addition of a heavy rules-book does is make them rules-lawyers.

What I see in our games is that the DM's rulings overwhelmingly meet with consensus. There is no need for prolonged discussion; there is no need to "back up" the ruling with specific rule citations. Why is this? Firstly, because the rulings are sensible. Secondly, because we are not invested in spending time picking nits; we are invested in getting on with the adventure.

Consensus is the state that produces agreeable rules. Rules in themselves may be agreeable or disagreeable depending on the eye of the beholder; witness what disputation that produces on these very forums!

Last edited:

I happened to make Finn for a 3e game, and he was a fighter. 3e does think that fighters can only fight, which sucks, but at least it has halfway coherent rules and guidelines for social skills and skill options for players who imagine their characters as sociable. Luckily I had a halfway phenomenal DM, so he let me have Diplomacy as a class skill. So when social encounters happened, Finn's charm really shone though so long as I made the effort to rp it.

If I understand your point here, the 3E Finn was proficient in social situations because your DM was permissive of house rules that facilitated this.

So is the lesson here that house rules are OK in a complex rules system but fail to work in a simple one?

Your DM judged your skill at social situations based on a house rule, which means that you had to rely on DM fiat to play Finn the way you imagined him.

In an OD&D game you could have worked out the same thing with the DM and just noted: Finn- slick silver tongued gentleman. Ta-da.

My point is that no set of rules can make up for a crappy DM.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
That is the reasonable reason TS objected to 'house rules' that are 'vague and unspecified'.
To be clear, my issue isn't with house rules. My issue is with your claim that mechanical individuality is easily obtained via house rules, and then ignoring my requests to provide even one example.

If you need a Rule 2731.97.53: Chandelier (Literal), Crystal, Swinging From ... and so on for every situation of such specificity, then maybe you're getting a bit too picky, eh?
Wow, way to grossly exaggerate my side of the discussion!

For a group of people who are not at cross purposes, and are knowledgeable at least of where their ignorance lies; who are not only good sportsmen but gathered in the first place primarily to spend time with friends; who, in short, cultivate no motive for lengthy disputation -- for such a group, the need for a DM to "lay down the law" is quite rare.
If you say it's so with your group, I believe you. IME, people don't have to be competitive or in constant contention to have difficulty reaching consensus. Everyone sees each problem differently, so even in a group where everyone has the same ultimate goal, consensus can be tough to reach. Take politics, for example: everyone wants a better United States [or wherever you live], and most of us agree on 99% of our values, but do we have health reform yet? And how long have we desperately needed it?

So is the lesson here that house rules are OK in a complex rules system but fail to work in a simple one?
The lesson is that overly complex rules [3e] and light rules [OD&D] both require frequent house rulings to work satisfactorily. Rule sets that fit roughly in the middle are just right, for me of course.
My point is that no set of rules can make up for a crappy DM.
A good [not too light, not too heavy] can help a crappy DM.

Remove ads